Thoughts from SIUC

SLU_Nick

Agree on Ash, I too think he was the best player on the floor. He will be an all conference player this year. Beane was a stud as well. However, McBroom was right there as well if you look at total production. It's hard to believe McBroom is getting any negative comments at all.

Whenever you play so many players and players get limited minutes because of it, it's good to see how productive a player was when he was in there.

Per 40 minutes played:

- SIUC's Bean had 29.5 points, 0 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 0 steals, 0 turnovers

Notable Billikens per 40 minutes played:

- Ash had 20.9 points, 12.2 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.7 blocks

- AM had 27.4 points, 5.7 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 1.1 steals

- AG had 14.1 points, 9.4 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 2.4 steals

- DR had 8 points, 6 assists, 2 steals

- MY had 6.7 points, 16.7 rebounds

Well, after one game I think we know a little more, but certainly nowhere near enough. Again looking at per 40 minutes played, some of the stats were somewhat surprising:

- McBroom led in points

- Yarbrough led in rebounds

- Roby led in assists

- Jolly led in blocks

- Gillmann led in steals

- Gillmann led in turnovers

The team shot .533% from 3pt which puts us 13th in the country after one game.

I was surprised how few fast break points we got, MY had a nice follow up rebound, but I don't remember much else. I expect us to run more as the season progresses. He have more guys suited to run than we did last year.

I think you can attribute the lack of fast break points to guys not being familiar with one another. Orchestrating a fast break requires guys to be on the same page while running full speed. Like you, I'm expecting us to run more as the season goes on.

I think you can attribute the lack of fast break points to guys not being familiar with one another. Orchestrating a fast break requires guys to be on the same page while running full speed. Like you, I'm expecting us to run more as the season goes on.

It also requires being able to rebound on the defensive boards-we were pretty sorry at that in this game and the H-S game. Come on CC, teach these guys how to rebound.

It also requires being able to rebound on the defensive boards-we were pretty sorry at that in this game and the H-S game. Come on CC, teach these guys how to rebound.

We do need to get better at rebounding in general. However, we did out rebound SIU 30-28 and we had more defensive rebounds than SIU 23-16. The were better on the offensive boards 12-7.

Heard that to. He did have a band aid over his cheek. Figuring he might have taken a sharp elbow. Am sure with all the attention concussions are getting these days, and the fact we lost that Topeka kid to one, who only partially recovered, that our med people would treat a concussion with velvet gloves.

One of the encouraging things I saw was how we closed the game out. Young teams can struggle holding onto the lead or have trouble coming from behind. A nice job in the last 6 minutes especially guarding Beane near the end.

Also, the throw ins looked good...another area that an underclass teams can have trouble with.

Yes , lots of mistakes but we overcame them and won....another sign of a growing team.

Speaking of mistakes ....17 turnovers....way too many. We need to take care of the ball better. If we make 17 TO against ISU we will lose as they are a better team than SIU. Familiarity with each other as the season progresses will bring this total down.

FT shooting needs to improve....SIU shot terrible (56.5%) that won't happen with a good foul shooting team like ISU. Bottomline, better free throw shooting ...less fouling of ISU.

Anybody else incredibly impressed with the play from AG? Expected nothing from him, got a lot from him. Despite his incredible lack of size, he really came through! Lucky game or can he keep that up?

I expected Manning..........Gillman AND Jolly have done more at this point. They can both move without fouling too....