World Cup 23 man roster named. no Donovan

bradley-field-628x389.jpg

Sickening...I agree with most on here that there was plenty of blame to go around on the last goal, but damn, that is a ton of space. Cameron and Gonzo (and even Johnson) disappeared on the last play, too...

I have never been a fan of Bedoya, I just don't understand why Mix doesn't get a shot. By all accounts, in addition to having a great first touch, he's one of the best passers on the team.

Yedlin will be a star...can't wait for him to refine his game a bit. I hope he gets an opportunity abroad.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Side tangent.......

Lalas adds nothing to ESPN's coverage. He is awful. The guys that ESPN hired that barely speak English bring more to the coverage even when you can't understand them.

Seriously? I'm not a well informed Soccer fan and I like Alexi Lalas. However, some of that could be nostalgia remembering him on the USMNT in 94 with the long red hair and he used to superstitiously have an ICEE before every game (IIRC).

Got to sneak away from work on THR. I was working SUN and didn't get to hit a spot until 15 min into the game, 3 spots in Austin TX were completely packed no parking hard to even find a seat. World Cup is packing them in but then again this town uses any excuse to get out and drink.

If anyone is looking for a place to watch the game in West County. The Haus at Baxter and Clayton is opening for lunch for the game at 10:45. They usually don't and they haven't publicized they are opening so it shouldn't be too packed like Lester's or some of the other places. They have good Pizza and some craft beers. It's in the Plaza on the NE corner. The owner is a big soccer fan and they show a lot of matches.

Anyone in Austin TX I'll be at Pinthouse Pizza on Burnett they have $3 craft pints during the game.

Fur meine Deutsche Leute: Ich will die spiel im Pinthouse Pizza gesehen.

We're through to the knockout stage, that's about all that can be said. After a poor first clearance attempt, gonzo played a pretty dang good game. Davis was a non factor and although he didn't play poorly per se, the way we shift him to the middle leaves us very vulnerable down the left side. Howard's best game in a long time. Jones has been really good and Bradley hasn't. Demps is running on fumes, so I hope we get jozy back for Tuesday.

Gutsy but not glorious game today. But we're through and that's all that matters.

We're through to the knockout stage, that's about all that can be said. After a poor first clearance attempt, gonzo played a pretty dang good game. Davis was a non factor and although he didn't play poorly per se, the way we shift him to the middle leaves us very vulnerable down the left side. Howard's best game in a long time. Jones has been really good and Bradley hasn't. Demps is running on fumes, so I hope we get jozy back for Tuesday.

Gutsy but not glorious game today. But we're through and that's all that matters.

Thought Beasley played very wel.

We did what we needed to do. Beasley has had a very good tourney so far. Probably as good as anyone on the team. Howard has proven he's one of the best in the world. Without him we don't move on.

I was thinking about the Bradley discussion. Maybe why Moy and others disagree with me comes from our expectations. I've always thought of him as a defensive mid with some skill to move forward, more than Jones or Beckerman, but by not someone who should be an attacking mid except by default. We have to use him in more of an offensive role, because we have no one else with the skill to handle the center mid role. I know some think Mix may be that guy ... we'll see. In that past there have been people here (don't remember if it was Moy or not) who have felt Dempsey was that attacking mid, so maybe that just makes their expectations of what he should do offensively different than mine.

I hope moving forward after the WC Mix can be that guy. If so we have Bradley and Jones in the more defensive roles, and imo that makes us a better team.

I've watched 2 Belgium games on and off. I wouldn't say it's a game we should win, but it is a game we can win. We need more possession. I hope Jozy is ok to go as that changes our midfield dramatically.

This doesn't shock me one bit. This is not a soccer town like so many people think. I've also heard in the past how this is one of the best sport cities. It's good, but not one of the best. This is a fantastic baseball city though.

So we beat a dissent ridden Ghana team, tied Portugal, and got shut out 1-0 by Germany?

1-1-1? We scored 4 goals in 3 games? And we still get "in"?

I cannot believe that so many are pleased that we got in... now, Belgium?

Soccer is not an interesting sport at all, nobody does anything that you notice, there rarely are any goals and they are usually accidents. So no one stands out or is under real pressure, 22 men out there playing shell "D".

In baseball, if you strike out, everyone sees it. Basketball, you pump in 30 points, people take notice. Etcetera.

Sure, The World Cup stimulates some nationalism, and so some bars are crowded with non fans, but the TV ratings for the Germany match weren't even as much as many regular season sporting events like NFL weekly feature games.

I say, take off 3 players per team, make it 8 on 8, no off sides, then you have a sport with athletes playing full tilt, with their asses on the line, make a move or you get beat, go for it... instead of this boring 90 minutes + injury time (WTF?) 2 goals per game drudgery.

(Ghana?)

So we beat a dissent ridden Ghana team, tied Portugal, and got shut out 1-0 by Germany?

Soccer is not an interesting sport at all, nobody does anything that you notice, there rarely are any goals and they are usually accidents. So no one stands out or is under real pressure, 22 men out there playing shell "D".

In baseball, if you strike out, everyone sees it. Basketball, you pump in 30 points, people take notice. Etcetera.

Sure, The World Cup stimulates some nationalism, and so some bars are crowded with non fans, but the TV ratings for the Germany match weren't even as much as many regular season sporting events like NFL weekly feature games.

I say, take off 3 players per team, make it 8 on 8, no off sides, then you have a sport with athletes playing full tilt, with their asses on the line, make a move or you get beat, go for it... instead of this boring 90 minutes + injury time (WTF?) 2 goals per game drudgery.

(Ghana?)

+1 It's like watching paint dry!

(Ghana?)

How many NFL games are played during the day in the middle of the week?

People like you love to pick through the facts. Did you happen to see the ratings for the Portugal game that was played at 5 on a Sunday?

And speaking of the Germany game, ESPN3 had its most viewers ever for that game

(Ghana?)

I think most Americans would actually agree. Our culture enjoys tense, fast paced, or high scoring sports. There is a reason soccer will never be as big in the US as in other countries. Many are saying this World Cup will spark a soccer revolution in this country, but it might be that all the excitement is just temporary nationalism. Just my personal opinion, though I have enjoyed the US games so far

+1 It's like watching paint dry!

More entertaining than baseball. If baseball wasn't 'Americas past time' than that sport would get no love. I'm not a huge soccer guy but i would rather sit through 90 mins of running up and down a field instead of one person throwing a ball to another guy and someone trying to hit it with a piece of wood. God baseball sucks. Hockey and basketball are the best sports entertainment wise.

More entertaining than baseball. If baseball wasn't 'Americas past time' than that sport would get no love. I'm not a huge soccer guy but i would rather sit through 90 mins of running up and down a field instead of one person throwing a ball to another guy and someone trying to hit it with a piece of wood. God baseball sucks. Hockey and basketball are the best sports entertainment wise.

Nothing is more tense and nerve wrecking than post season baseball. While it doesn't have the fast pace like hockey, it has a certain element of uncertainty that other sports don't have (e.g. game 6 of the World Series in 2011). No sport except baseball could have produced such an unexpected and exciting result.

I think most Americans would actually agree. Our culture enjoys tense, fast paced, or high scoring sports. There is a reason soccer will never be as big in the US as in other countries. Many are saying this World Cup will spark a soccer revolution in this country, but it might be that all the excitement is just temporary nationalism. Just my personal opinion, though I have enjoyed the US games so far

So if soccer

1. played 7 seconds then took a break for 40 seconds

2. Gave them 7 pts per goal

3. Allowed them to kick it over the goal for 3 pts when they couldn't move the ball past about the 20-30 yard line

Would it be a good sport then?

Nothing is more tense and nerve wrecking than post season baseball. While it doesn't have the fast pace like hockey, it has a certain element of uncertainty that other sports don't have (e.g. game 6 of the World Series in 2011). No sport except baseball could have produced such an unexpected and exciting result.

Nothing is more tense than watching a team score and then watching another team have the opportunity to score? Have you seem playoff hockey?