OT: Mizzou to hire Kim

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A decent amount of Mizzou fans were convinced up until the announcement that they were going to get Gregg Marshall. Not sure why they thought Marshall would downgrade.

Actually Kim Anderson might have downgraded too. I know he made the jump from D2 to D1, but this is Mizzou.

I know it won't go over well with a lot of Mizzou people but I think its a good pick for them. They needed to stop the cycle of coaches leaving every 2-3 years. As a "true son" he's not going anywhere unless he's an epic failure and the run him out with pitchforks.

Howland would have been the disaster pick for them.

I know it won't go over well with a lot of Mizzou people but I think its a good pick for them. They needed to stop the cycle of coaches leaving every 2-3 years. As a "true son" he's not going anywhere unless he's an epic failure and the run him out with pitchforks.

I think you're right. Anderson was a "safe" hire if there ever was one.

Why would Howland have been a disaster?

I could easily see Anderson being a total failure. I could also see him being wildly successful (although I'm inclined to think the former is more likely). He's a total wildcard. His track record on recruiting for Norm is a lackluster one, and recruiting has changed quite a bit in the 15 years since he left the D-1 ranks.

I could easily see Anderson being a total failure. I could also see him being wildly successful (although I'm inclined to think the former is more likely). He's a total wildcard. His track record on recruiting for Norm is a lackluster one, and recruiting has changed quite a bit in the 15 years since he left the D-1 ranks.

I would assume he's going to want to keep Fuller on his staff, right?

AC's are going to be really important. A safe hire, but how many kids remember Norm Stewart? Didn't Mizzery have a really good AC? His name escapes me, as do most things about BCCC, but I thought he was a great recruiter. Wonder why he wasn't promoted. My gut tells me this is not going to take Mizzery to the promised land, where the fans think they rightfully belong.

I'm not irate about the hire but I think Mizzou could have done much better, especially with how clandestine the whole process was.

Agree. Was it necessary to implement a search committee (cost: $40,000) and keep the whole thing under wraps just to hire a guy a few miles down the road? Not sure how reliable the source on Powermizzou is but he claims that Howland wanted the job.

To be serious though, I could see Anderson doing well with the roster he has. The guy is probably a good enough X's and O's coach. Recruiting will be the big question, but you see coaches come in pretty often and with do well with the rosters they inherit. It's just a matter if you can keep that momentum going.

The SI article pretty much did it for me. But if you need more reasons I'd look no further than the fact that Marquette and other schools that had opening this spring all said no thanks to him.

I'm inclined agree with this. It's not a "Wow" hire, but it could work for them. I just looked it up, because there aren't many BCS conference schools that hire from lower divisions, but Bo Ryan was 55 year old who was 2 years removed from coaching in D-III when Wisconsin hired him, so you never know.

Mizzou has attempted to hire a hot commodity in their last few coaching searches, and that hasn't worked.

I've gotten the idea that there are Mizzou fans that have been disillusioned with what the program has become since Norm Stewart left. Hiring Anderson might be a way for people to think they'll see the old Mizzou basketball mindset again that they grew to love.

Unless they really did take a huge swing for the fences and miss out, I would think that any money they spent on a search firm was a huge waste. I once heard a guy on the radio suggest that any AD that hires out a search firm to look for a coach should turn in their resignation immediately.

To be serious though, I could see Anderson doing well with the roster he has. The guy is probably a good enough X's and O's coach. Recruiting will be the big question, but you see coaches come in pretty often and with do well with the rosters they inherit. It's just a matter if you can keep that momentum going.

Depends on if he keeps the incoming recruits or if they bolt. Even if he keeps them, he's inheriting a roster that loses 75% of its scoring and has no star players. He's gotta be one heck of a coach to do well with that roster.

p.s. obviously the same can be said about our roster next season...

I'm inclined agree with this. It's not a "Wow" hire, but it could work for them. I just looked it up, because there aren't many BCS conference schools that hire from lower divisions, but Bo Ryan was 55 year old who was 2 years removed from coaching in D-III when Wisconsin hired him, so you never know.

Mizzou has attempted to hire a hot commodity in their last few coaching searches, and that hasn't worked.

I've gotten the idea that there are Mizzou fans that have been disillusioned with what the program has become since Norm Stewart left. Hiring Anderson might be a way for people to think they'll see the old Mizzou basketball mindset again that they grew to love.

Unless they really did take a huge swing for the fences and miss out, I would think that any money they spent on a search firm was a huge waste. I once heard a guy on the radio suggest that any AD that hires out a search firm to look for a coach should turn in their resignation immediately.

Agree with everything you said here. Hopefully, this will bring Mizzou's fan base back to reality. $40,000 for the search firm....honestly, and I'm not even joking, how does Mike Alden still have a job?!?!

See Haith, Frank.

Depends on if he keeps the incoming recruits or if they bolt. Even if he keeps them, he's inheriting a roster that loses 75% of its scoring and has no star players. He's gotta be one heck of a coach to do well with that roster.

p.s. obviously the same can be said about our roster next season...

Yeah I'm nervous we'll lose Gant and Wright, which would be a big blow. The one nice thing about now vs. when haith was hired is that the scholarship situation is a little more balanced and It won't be quite so much a magic act to get the classes going for sustained improvement.

We've all known that next year was going to be a rebuilding year no matter who the coach was (in fact that's almost certainly why Haith left).

At least MB73 will like the hire.

Haha! Funny you should say that. Even for those who don't normally like visiting the SPUMAC board, it is almost as entertaining as reading some of MB73's posts. It is in full meltdown mode right now. Almost everybody hates it, but it seems to be quite popular with the... let's call it the MB73 element of the Mizzou fanbase... Do the folks who want to get back to the "good old days" of Stewart realize that much of his era was as corrupt as the stuff that followed his departure?