OT: Buzz Williams to VA Tech

JMM28

@YahooForde: Y! Sources: Buzz Williams poised to become next coach at Virginia Tech

Marquette loses their coach. Womp womp.

I assume there is more money involved, but that is a step down. Supposedly Ben Howland is the likely replacement.

I assume there is more money involved, but that is a step down. Supposedly Ben Howland is the likely replacement.

So Marquette ends up with the better coach when it is all said in done. I am guessing Marquette didn't fight to keep Buzz.

Per Jeff Goodman:

@GoodmanESPN: Buzz Williams left Marquette for a variety of reasons, sources told ESPN. One of the biggest was new league/new TV package.

Ouch...I mean the ACC (especially with Louisville) is the nation's premier college basketball conference. BUT, I just can't see Virginia Tech perennially cracking the Top 5 or 6 with UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, Virginia, Florida State, and Notre Dame.

Ouch...I mean the ACC (especially with Louisville) is the nation's premier college basketball conference. BUT, I just can't see Virginia Tech perennially cracking the Top 5 or 6 with UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, Virginia, Florida State, and Notre Dame.

Could they beat Mercer?

Yikes!!!

Do we really want to join a league where one of the top teams has their coach leave them for Va. Tech?

Maybe our new Prez can lobby the Big East to remove Marquette from the league when SLU is asked to join the conference.

Is Goodman now downplaying the BE's TV deal? Last year he was applauding it?

[quote name="thetorch" post="415844" timestamp="

Is Goodman now downplaying the BE's TV deal? Last year he was applauding it?

The tv deal is obviously worth a lot of money but the ratings this year were really bad.

This is what happens when your league gets gutted. NBE equals Not Being in Tournament....or NIT. Why stay in the snow and ice with no players and a mid-major conference, when you can go South. Maybe VT isn't a perennial ACC power, but just being in the ACC is a big payday that any mid major would take anytime.

VT is a football school, that will give him some wiggle room if he does not produce right away.

It's not like marquette was going to fire him. This move baffles me. Marquette spends more on basketball than anyone else in the nation except duke. I think he'll regret this

It's not like marquette was going to fire him. This move baffles me. Marquette spends more on basketball than anyone else in the nation except duke. I think he'll regret this

Marquette's President recently resigned, right? Didn't the AD also step down/move on? What the hell is going on up North?

I just checked Buzz's record and Marquette took a big chance with him. Marquette pays the big bucks (in the 2 mil range), shocked they did not get someone when Crean left that has a more glamorous background.

Prior to Marquette he had one year at New Orleans which was below .500 and then one year as an assistant to Crean at MU.

Did very good at MU, in his 6 years, 5 tourney appearances with 2 sweet 16s and 1 elite 8.

Supposedly Ben Howland is the favorite but Archie Miller has been given consideration as well.

Archie Miller out of consideration:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24498821/archie-miller-signs-extension-with-dayton

SIgned through 18-19 season with Dayton.