Opening game

Who would we like to open with in our new stadium? Buddy of mine were tossing that one around the other day.

Assuming we are able to open the season at our new facility, do we bring in Kansas, Illini, Cincy, Duke?

I propose everyone gets to name three choices, all get equal weight, and we see which team gets the most picks. We can send it along to the new AD, who I'm sure would love to have this on her desk when she starts to get to work at SLU...he he he.

mhg

Boy this is a toughie, because you'd like to see us win the first game ever but also have it be against someone memorable....I kind of like the idea of starting out with a well known school but one that we stand a better than even chance of beating...bring in Marquette. Or host a two day tourney...where SLU and a Duke go against two good mid majors. Or skip the tournament idea, and make the second game against a Duke, KY, etc. I for one would love to see a home and home with KY revisited. Evidently back in ancient times, SLU and KY had a good little rivalry going.

i didnt say we cant beat them. i just want a sure thing the first game. since likely the new arena will coincide with lisch and liddell's sophomore season and dwayne will be a junior, i would expect we will go undefeated in that first season in the biondidome. but why take a chance.

by the way. if you could buy some advertising time to tell the world that rates arent that bad yet, i would greatly appreciate it. i was told numerous times last week how outrageous 6.5% is.

I like the Notre Dame idea ... or maybe Wisconsin. I don't want a cake walk ... I'd rather lose a real tough one ... I'd even be ok with a top 10 type team ... We will be able to competitive and have a good chance to win at home against anyone ... the place will need to be rockin

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Name school, but not a regular top 10 that is loaded, as we don't want the stigma of losing the first game. ND, MU, Cincy, UL even Mizzery or the like would be good candidates. Not cakewalks but we should be able to pull of a win on our home floor. Then the next game should be against a real biggie, I mean get this thing going well right off the bat, i.e. we are going to provide ST Louis fans with the best college hoops has to offer.

We gotta win the first game. Here are some possible candidates:

Tulsa

St. Johns

Butler

Western Kentucky

Murray St.

Kent St.

Perdue

OSU (OK)

We have some history with a couple of the teams.

Arkansas: still no big men and would be very winable game. They would probably be willing to do a home and home.

Butler: Another winable game.

Depaul: We seem to win most of the games we have played against them in stl since I have been following the slu

I would not have sms over, they seem a little to lucky at times. Memphis, Cini, Marquette, or Louiville would be nice for a ooc that year but not to start with. I also would not invite Western Kentucky to come play the first game.

My guess the exhibition games would be the first, so bring on UMSL or SIUE or McKendree.

For the first game that counts, I figure it will be hard to find a decent team that will want to come in. Creighton opened their new arena last year and could only get San Diego University, 16-12 and NCAA team year before. They were bad this year 4-26. I saw the rumors of trying to get Marquette, Georgetown, Duke, etc also but it came down to those teams wouldn't come. They feared a loss because the home team would be fired up & early in the season, etc.

The other thing to remember is this game will probably be a sellout no matter who the opponet is, save the big opponet for later in the season for a 2nd sellout. Hopefully, the new arena will always sellout and then this won't be a problem. I expect an average to good team like Butler or Loyola Chicago or a CUSA team like UAB or Houston.

First, I WANT to win the first game, but I don't think they'll close the place down if we lose. That being said, let's bring in Kansas, Illinois or even someone like Cincy.

Second, I would rather lose to one of the above than bring in someone we SHOULD beat (SMS, DePaul, SIU, etc.) and then go on to lose. Now that would really hurt.

Either way, I cannot wait until that first game and the second, and the third, and the fourth and.....

P.S. I couldn't resist throwing in SIU to the should beat teams. Truth be told, I think that they are a really good program that can beat just about anyone when they are playing well.

The first time I saw the Globetrotters in person, they played the House of David - they all wore beards...at the old Kiel, many moons ago. I don't know if the Washington Generals was a step up or a step down in competition.