what's the latest on JJ? anyway: what happened??

With a minute to go in the game and down 3, the refs called 5 seconds on Dayton. I haven't seen something like that since Josh Fischer was called for it while driving to the lane against Marquette.

Calling 5 seconds at that point is as generous as a call as you'll ever see (unless its a phantom call like the one that apparently happened in Columbia to give them the winning fts).

There were plenty of calls that went against us too, of course.

No doubt we had some calls go our way last night. I just thought it was the usual terrible consistency A10 officiated game.

Gentlemen ---- Dayton played Kavanaugh, Pollard, Pierre, Oliver, Robinson and even Sanford on Dwayne. That is 30 hard fouls to give and while I don't advocate thuggery, it's a good strategy.

Is Evans hurt? I know he fell on his hip at VCU but Steve Wolf kept saying he thought Evans wasn't right and that then changed into Evans is hurt and now for two days on here, we've been talking about Evans being hurt. Is he? You can believe Steve Wolf,the same guy who told the very touching story about JASON Brown if you like, but I tend to believe Steve doesn't get all the facts straight.

I think what BAB is talking about with the refs is just something known as consistency. Wasn't it the Rhode Island game where the Ram got the rebound off a free throw miss and they granted URI a timeout at the apex of his jump? Now that was written off to Hurley saying before the shot "if we get this rebound I want time" but the whistle was given before feet were back on the ground meaning possession was yet to be established (you can't call timeout going out of bounds in mid-air anymore). And we can't get this one? Hmmm. As always, the refs confound me, no use talking in greater depth.

I noticed Archie had enough sense with 48 seconds to go in the half to calling his use/lose timeout and setting a play. But not JC. Just saying it might have served a better purpose to 1) diagram a play and 2) get Glaze off the court. A closing lineup of Loe, Barnett, McCall, McBroom and Crawford puts three ball threats all over the place.

Same with the last timeout with 10 seconds to go. Down three. Lose Jett. Lose Evans. Get the bombers out there for more options. We had the proper amount of time. I was happy Jake took the shot. He gave it his best and it failed. That happens at times in life. No, once again, that game was lost on the foul line. And in the fact that two of our five players were "hurt." I think. Had to be --- how else do you explain Dwayne, the beast of the lane, opting for a fall away jumper with Matt "Slugger" Kavanaugh on him? Evans' power moves eat Slugger up. But not last night.

And will someone answer the question posed in the start of this thread? Because now, if they are hurt and the seeding is wrapped up, what answer do you employ for Sunday? Play 'em or rest 'em?

After sleeping on this one overnight, I think SLU plays its best players at UMass, if they are able to play.

Also, I think it is a case by case determination, meaning Evans and Jett are 2 different cases. Evans has been playing hurt since the first VCU game, yet had 18 points and 9 rebounds last night against Dayton. I think Evans is probably good to go against UMass on Sunday.

I do not know the extent of Jordair Jett's knee issue, but he did not look like the usual Jordair when he returned from being out 8 minutes in the first half due to the knee, and took only 3 shots in the game.

I do think there is still a LOT to play for Sunday at UMass, and although SLU is the underdog, SLU could still win that game if the good Billikens show up with their A Game. What is there to play for, you may ask with the #1 seed clinched?

1. If SLU wins, it is undisputed Regular Season A10 Champion, no sharing of the regular season championship.

2. NCAA Tournament seeding. A SLU (RPI 22) road win at UMass (RPI 13) would help SLU's RPI. We don't want UMass and VCU (RPI 14) being considered ahead of SLU by the NCAA Committee in seeding. They should not be, RPI or not.

3. SLU does not want to go into the A10 Tournament with 4 straight losses, and does not want to be sitting there on Selection Sunday with any more of a losing streak than it already has.

4. A lesser consideration, but still a point, is the AP and USA Today Coaches Poll rankings, which in reality are a matter of public relations and marketing, but also of national perception. Win at UMass, and SLU likely stays in the Top 25 in the last polls before the conference tournaments and Selection Sunday.

So I say play the players, if they are able to play.

the blatant pushing of Jett from behind right in front of the ref was amazing, an insight into how Dayton thinks they have to play in order to win. I know it does not qualify as an intentional foul, but its was. That said, given a neutral court and bright lights I still think this team will rally for both tournaments.

as for Jett. Not sure if he was injured on the hard drive then the FT, but it seemed to be after the FT that the injury cropped up. He was not the same during the second half. We needed his drives to the basket then.

You can rest guys against UMass, but it won't happen unless we're getting blown out. And even if you do, I'm not sure getting healthy is that much of an option at this point in the season. Sure you can get a little better, but injuries take time to heal and every single player wants to go at it in practice to prepare for the postseason. It's going to be hard for anyone to get much more healthy. Jett and Evans are still good enough to carry the team, but other guys have to step and help them out. They can't do it 100% by themselves at this point and that's not a knock on them. I hope one of the freshmen play well enough here in practice and against UMass and early in the A10 Tourney that they play themselves into a slightly bigger role. Crews hinted that Lancona could. I'd like to see him shoot more btw. I really hope to see some tweaks to the offense in the postseason. I really think the team is getting a little predictable on both sides of the ball. The missed free throws, turnovers, lack of rebounding, etc are probably signs of fatigue and loss of focus, but I also think that teams know exactly what we're going to do on offense and they know how to exploit us on defense and I haven't seen much of a change from us yet. Crews keeps saying "We're going to keep doing the same things win or lose." Might be time to change that mentality. I know it's late in the season, but teams should always be tweaking things here or there and you have to play to win. If these seniors can't grasp slight changes on both sides of the ball, then they're not as great as we make them out to be.

A closing lineup of Loe, Barnett, McCall, McBroom and Crawford puts three ball threats all over the place.

Same with the last timeout with 10 seconds to go. Down three. Lose Jett. Lose Evans. Get the bombers out there for more options.

A thousand times this...Senior Night or not, why in God's name were Jett and Evans on the court with 3 points needed in 10 seconds? You've got five shooters. Why not put all of them on the court???

A thousand times this...Senior Night or not, why in God's name were Jett and Evans on the court with 3 points needed in 10 seconds? You've got five shooters. Why not put all of them on the court???

If Crews does this "super loyalty to the seniors" thing again next year, we're going to be really really bad.

A loss to UMASS and 4 in a row may just put SLU on the 7-8-9 seed line, especially if it continues into the tourney. The games at the end of the season and how you finish are looked at very closely as are the power ratings and RPI. It's starting to look like they are using the formula ratings more and more rather than RPI and the standard polls. Now as for the refs. They always blow calls in every game. It's not a conspiracy. It's reality. It happens in every CBB game ever played. Make your FT's and you win. Miss em you lose. We've had that problem and it cost us several games. Simple as that. Losing 4 in a row blows the 4-5 seed period. Gotta take UMASS and do well in the tourney to keep that 5. 4 is only a possiblity with an A10 tourney win.

A loss to UMASS and 4 in a row may just put SLU on the 7-8-9 seed line, especially if it continues into the tourney. The games at the end of the season and how you finish are looked at very closely as are the power ratings and RPI. It's starting to look like they are using the formula ratings more and more rather than RPI and the standard polls. Now as for the refs. They always blow calls in every game. It's not a conspiracy. It's reality. It happens in every CBB game ever played. Make your FT's and you win. Miss em you lose. We've had that problem and it cost us several games. Simple as that. Losing 4 in a row blows the 4-5 seed period. Gotta take UMASS and do well in the tourney to keep that 5. 4 is only a possiblity with an A10 tourney win.

Really?? Going into the tourney on a five game losing streak would be not such a great thing???

Astute observations like this (and those provided by The Tsunami in his online chats, of course) really speak to the quality of a Virginia Commonwealth education...

Our seniors are SLU's best players. Glaze & Mannlng have had plenty of chances to get more minutes but have failed to show they deserve the extra playing time (AB has). Two of our frosh have had injury problems and the other is the #4 guard and has not proved he should get more minutes. Crews knows what he is doing. You will get your wish to play raw players--------next year.

If Crews does this "super loyalty to the seniors" thing again next year, we're going to be really really bad.

Our seniors are SLU's best players. Glaze & Mannlng have had plenty of chances to get more minutes but have failed to show they deserve the extra playing time (AB has). Two of our frosh have had injury problems and the other is the #4 guard and has not proved he should get more minutes. Crews knows what he is doing. You will get your wish to play raw players--------next year.

I disagree that all of our seniors are our best players. All I know is that the board has complained about the lack of experience of our freshmen, but in the first half they all did a damn good job. Playing time in college should not be protected for seniors, that is unless they are our best players and then what are you going to do, wear them out because you don't want to play an inexperienced freshman. bull****!

Practice determines the best players. Crews is not a fool. He plays those players who give SLUthe best chance to get wins.

I disagree that all of our seniors are our best players. All I know is that the board has complained about the lack of experience of our freshmen, but in the first half they all did a damn good job. Playing time in college should not be protected for seniors, that is unless they are our best players and then what are you going to do, wear them out because you don't want to play an inexperienced freshman. bull****!

You're missing the point. The issue raised here was not who the overall best players were, but who should've been on the court when a three ball was absolutely needed to tie the score with 10 seconds left. We're not talking about whether Crawford or Lancona should be seeing 10 or 15 minutes a game; we're talking about the last 10 seconds. And McBroom, our best shooter over the course of the whole season, wasn't even out there.

I don't care that Evans and Jett are our two best overall players; even when perfectly healthy they are simply not three point threats. Fortunately, Barnett got a decent look and unfortunately it just didn't go down. But it should be an absolute no brainer to load the floor with all your outside threats in that situation. The only possible reason not to is loyalty to the seniors for its own sake, because the all-senior lineup was not the best one for that situation.

Practice determines the best players. Crews is not a fool. He plays those players who give SLUthe best chance to get wins.

Yeh, we will have a great chance to win against better competition with all of the seniors playing 35 minutes per game, after all, they give us the best chance to win, dragging down the floor with their tongues out. And if Crews doesn't get that, he is a fool.

Yeh, we will have a great chance to win against better competition with all of the seniors playing 35 minutes per game, after all, they give us the best chance to win, dragging down the floor with their tongues out. And if Crews doesn't get that, he is a fool.

None of the seniors are playing 35 mpg a game. Jett is the only one averaging over 30.

Crews does not want or feel the need to make adjustments if it was not for Tanner Bronson reminding him we would have very little change.

I think Crews has brought in a very nice staff but

Bronson is the stats man from Wisconsin program that Coach Majerus brought to us. I hope we retain him.

I have a lot of questions about that last play.

We walked out asking the same question. However, here are the individual 3 pt. stats as of the end of the game

3-POINT FG PERCENT Made Att 3FG Pct CRAWFORD, Mike 9 21 .429 MCBROOM, Austin 44 120 .367 LANCONA, Tanner 3 9 .333 MCCALL JR, Mike 36 108 .333 BARNETT, Jake 35 109 .321 LOE, Rob 34 115 .296 MANNING, John 1 4 .250 JETT, Jordair 7 32 .219 EVANS, Dwayne 3 15 .200 LEPAK, Joey 0 1 .000

Fact remains that we needed to get off a three, and one of our best three-point shooters got a clean look. It was a pretty well-drawn-up play. But he missed.

None of the seniors are playing 35 mpg a game. Jett is the only one averaging over 30.

You are correct sir, I was using that as an example. Crews uses Manning and Glaze a lot. Sorry for my extreme comment. Should have known someone would check the exact minutes played by the seniors.

It looks like Crews and Mc Broom both recognize when AM can't break free of a faster, older, taller guard who actually defends him.

When that happens he doesn't shoot.

You might as well let Mike Crawford try or Tanner Lancona. I have nothing against Barnett or Loe; worst deal would be let JJ or Evans or LePak launch one.

Back to topic JJ has been cramping up or something the last couple of games; could be lots of practices, and minutes in game and it should be end of season.

It looks like Crews and Mc Broom both recognize when AM can't break free of a faster, older, taller guard who actually defends him.

When that happens he doesn't shoot.

You might as well let Mike Crawford try or Tanner Lancona. I have nothing against Barnett or Loe; worst deal would be let JJ or Evans or LePak launch one.

Back to topic JJ has been cramping up or something the last couple of games; could be lots of practices, and minutes in game and it should be end of season.

If it's cramping the trainers ought to be able to solve the with proper preparation and hydration.