Are we now officially the cardiac BILLIKENS?

Richmond had a top 50 defense. Is an A+ team exponentially better than a B+ team?

Certainly there is a difference in talent level but we've already seen the defense, which is half the battle. I'd give the Bills a shot. No team in the country can blow us out on a regular basis, I don't think any team could beat us by 30 or 40.

I think that B+ teams (if I remember Wiz's breakdown right) are NIT-level teams. So that's quite a difference.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Richmond had a top 50 defense. Is an A+ team exponentially better than a B+ team?

Certainly there is a difference in talent level but we've already seen the defense, which is half the battle. I'd give the Bills a shot. No team in the country can blow us out on a regular basis, I don't think any team could beat us by 30 or 40.

Absolutely there is an exponential difference between Richmond and Syracuse.

A+ teams are usually Sweet 16 teams....and B+ teams are pretty much NIT...... so I would say even in a college basketball world where there is lots of parity there is a big difference.

You are correct....there would be no blowout of the Bills....in a 5 game set, the Bills win 2

Really, I don't want to call out your's or B.Hayes fandom by any means- I'm sure you both follow the team more than I do. I just believe we should be at a point with this team where we don't fear any matchup.

Difference between fearing a match-up and having a team on your short-list of squads you would prefer not to play... I've expected the Bills to win their last 40 games so I should be able to talk myself into it fairly quickly...

Difference between fearing a match-up and having a team on your short-list of squads you would prefer not to play... I've expected the Bills to win their last 40 games so I should be able to talk myself into it fairly quickly...

B.Hayes states that SLU will lose to Syracuse by 30+. You follow up by adding a possible spread of 15. The wiz's line is Syracuse by 3.5, Espn's bpi gives 5.5, vegas is probably less than 8. I labeled these under-expectations versus the lines as "fearing the matchup". Apparently that has been found to be inaccurate and offensive. You guys do not "fear" this matchup- they are simply on your "short list of squads you would prefer not to play" because you expect SLU to vastly underperform against them versus what the statisticians and oddsmakers believe. I apologize for the mislabeling.

It makes no sense anyways to discuss a match against Syracuse. If it happens at all it will not be until we start NCAA play. By then with a number of games under our belts (rest of conference play, A10 tournament, and whatever many NCAA games it takes before we play Syracuse, if it happens), we will be much better and much better prepared to face them. The numbers they are talking about are if we play them today or this week. We must all remember that competition play and tournaments are dynamic situations, not static ones, and that change is involved.

It makes no sense anyways to discuss a match against Syracuse. If it happens at all it will not be until we start NCAA play. By then with a number of games under our belts (rest of conference play, A10 tournament, and whatever many NCAA games it takes before we play Syracuse, if it happens), we will be much better and much better prepared to face them. The numbers they are talking about are if we play them today or this week. We must all remember that competition play and tournaments are dynamic situations, not static ones, and that change is involved.

Speaking for myself, one of the joys of being a fan is to forecast matchups. Now, granted, if we observed SLU's practice today and they are working on how to break down Syracuse's zone under the slim chance they will ever face them- then yeah, that's a serious problem. Fortunately, as fans, we don't have to keep a one game at a time narrow focus like the team does.

GW, fully agree that anticipation is one of the great joys of being a fan. Just keep in mind that the closer we get to Syracuse, the better we are and the more capable of beating them we are as well. I do not think beating Syracuse is impossible, in fact I think that before we ever face Syracuse's zone we will have to deal with many other zone defenses and may be ready to play them when we get there. That is what I mean by mentioning this is a dynamic situation. We are really good and getting better, we can do it if the time comes. Now, go ahead and enjoy the possibilities, we can do it if it comes to that.

Syracuse = Wisconsin

If Syr played Wisc on a neutral floor...good chance for OT

We played Wisc tough and could have won that game.....I don't think anybody on this board would think Wisc would blow us out in a rematch. If Wisc doesn't blow us out than nether would Syr.

Syracuse = Wisconsin

We played Wisc tough and could have won that game.....I don't think anybody on this board would think Wisc would blow us out in a rematch. If Wisc doesn't blow us out than nether would Syr.

Different teams present different match up problems.

B.Hayes states that SLU will lose to Syracuse by 30+. You follow up by adding a possible spread of 15. The wiz's line is Syracuse by 3.5, Espn's bpi gives 5.5, vegas is probably less than 8. I labeled these under-expectations versus the lines as "fearing the matchup". Apparently that has been found to be inaccurate and offensive. You guys do not "fear" this matchup- they are simply on your "short list of squads you would prefer not to play" because you expect SLU to vastly underperform against them versus what the statisticians and oddsmakers believe. I apologize for the mislabeling.

Who the fuq.... This is what I said:

15.. 30.. It's an exaggeration. Point is Cuse is great this season and we traditionally struggle vs. zone. Don't get too worked up about it, but we want to be the 4-seed in WSU region, no doubt.

To borrow your line, "Really, I don't want to call out your's or B.Hayes fandom by any means your reading comprehension skills by any means, I'm sure you both follow the team read more books than I do. I just believe we should be at a point with this team where we don't fear any matchup where you quit attempting to decipher my thoughts on this subject.

Also, sometimes I don't automatically believe everything the statisticians and oddsmakers predict will come true, and instead prefer to go with what I've see with my eyes. Or what MB labels a 10* lock of the year. Whichever. It's a little out of the box.

Different teams present different match up problems.

I understand.....still think it would be Syr or Wisc by 3 1/2 over the Bills.

If this discussion were being held over on the Syr board and someone said....Hey, what if we played the Bills in the 1st round...there would be a collective Syr groan with posts stating that it would be a terrible draw for them ...a methodical, defensive team that only allows 59 pts / game....they would cry out that playing the Bills would be a terrible matchup for Cuse.

Nobody wants to play us...we are a bad matchup for nearly everyone....we don't let them (the opponent) play basketball.

So I guess, it depends on your point of view.

Bottomline.....Very unusual for A teams to get blown out even when they play A+ teams.

I understand.....still think it would be Syr or Wisc by 3 1/2 over the Bills.

If this discussion were being held over on the Syr board and someone said....Hey, what if we played the Bills in the 1st round...there would be a collective Syr groan with posts stating that it would be a terrible draw for them ...a methodical, defensive team that only allows 59 pts / game....they would cry out that playing the Bills would be a terrible matchup for Cuse.

Nobody wants to play us...we are a bad matchup for nearly everyone....we don't let them (the opponent) play basketball.

So I guess, it depends on your point of view.

Bottomline.....Very unusual for A teams to get blown out even when they play A+ teams.

I don't think we would get blown out. I do think Syracuse presents the biggest match up problems for us. I actually think right now we take Wisconsin down.

I don't think we would get blown out. I do think Syracuse presents the biggest match up problems for us. I actually think right now we take Wisconsin down.

Well, if you believe we could take down Wisc...then you should believe we can take down Syr...you gotta Bill-ieve

One last point....

We are 8th in the nation in defense,,,@59 pts / gm

Syr is 9th in the nation in defense......@ 59.1 pts / gam

So it would be an interesting matchup.

It would be interesting to see what tempo would prevail. We are a much faster team than Syracuse. Force some turnovers, get some quick baskets without that pesky zone...

Syracuse = Wisconsin

Although the final score looks good and we had a late run, wiscy was up 10 or more pretty much the entire 2nd half. I'm not sure that is playing them particularly tough. Even though I hoped for a come back, winning that game would have been a minor miracle. I just don't think that game was as close as the final score indicates.

Although the final score looks good and we had a late run, wiscy was up 10 or more pretty much the entire 2nd half. I'm not sure that is playing them particularly tough. Even though I hoped for a come back, winning that game would have been a minor miracle. I just don't think that game was as close as the final score indicates.

I thought we should have won that game . We shot terrible ...32.8% FG.....64.7%FT. Wisc had their usual game except their FT shooting was even worse....We lost by 6 ...we were missing 7 FG from our totals(14pts). Even if you give Wisc an extra 5 pts for FT's we still should have won by 3 or 4.

Bottomline....Wisc is the best team we have played so far. At the time, they were 10th and unbeaten (I still have them at 17) Had we had a slightly below average game we would have beat them. Think about that ....if we could have played slightly below average , we could have beat a Top 10 team. Again, we can beat or play anybody close including the A+ teams..

I thought we should have won that game . We shot terrible ...32.8% FG.....64.7%FT. Wisc had their usual game except their FT shooting was even worse....We lost by 6 ...we were missing 7 FG from our totals(14pts). Even if you give Wisc an extra 5 pts for FT's we still should have won by 3 or 4.

Bottomline....Wisc is the best team we have played so far. At the time, they were 10th and unbeaten (I still have them at 17) Had we had a slightly below average game we would have beat them. Think about that ....if we could have played slightly below average , we could have beat a Top 10 team. Again, we can beat or play anybody close including the A+ teams..

So on neutral floor Badgers would handle Wichita State?