SLU - MU Discussion on 920

Billboy1

Listening to Scott Highmark on 920 today and afterword Renee Knott was asking why MU would not play SLU. Acouple of MU morons called in saying that on a neutral court MU would always win because they have the better talent level. They neglected to mention MU is not very well coached and does not play as a team. These MU jokers cannot stand that they have in state competition.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25072

We're 17-2 with a road game tonight and all everyone wants to talk about on this board is Mizzou.

We don't get as much media love as Mizzou.

Mizzou fans are idiots.

Mizzou's message board is garbage.

Mizzou is overrated and NIT-bound.

Mizzou is still afraid to play us.

The Mizzou athletic department is corrupt.

Haith is not a very good coach.

Mizzou football blah blah blah.

All of the above may be true, but outside of the Cameron Biedscheid recruitment, there has been virtually no reason for us to talk about Mizzou. The way things are going now, it's becoming a long shot that we'll even see them in the Tournament.

We need to quit acting like the little brother. Mizzou fans can moan and sob and point fingers all they want. Let SLU's results speak for themselves. They can only go ignored for so long.

We're 17-2 with a road game tonight and all everyone wants to talk about on this board is Mizzou.

Mizzou fans are idiots.

All of the above may be true, but outside of the Cameron Biedscheid recruitment, there has been virtually no reason for us to talk about Mizzou. The way things are going now, it's becoming a long shot that we'll even see them in the Tournament.

We need to quit acting like the little brother. Mizzou fans can moan and sob and point fingers all they want. Let SLU's results speak for themselves. They can only go ignored for so long.

I hear what you are saying, but in fairness it is a topic that has been coming up a LOT lately in local media, not just something brought up on this board. There has been a LOT of SLU media coveragae lately in general.

I hear what you are saying, but in fairness it is a topic that has been coming up a LOT lately in local media, not just something brought up on this board. There has been a LOT of SLU media coveragae lately in general.

And that is a good thing for us wearing blue.

Mizzou fans are idiots.

Amen.

What's been coming up - SLU vs. Mizzou?

If SLU has been coming up a lot apart from any discussion about Mizzou, then that's good. But if we're only being brought up in the context of, "hey, look at this, the secondary program is doing all right," then it's annoying.

But I stand by my point. We need to drop the whole always-looking-at-Mizzou thing if we're ever going to get over our inferiority complex. At some point, media and the general public will come around and stop treating us like the lesser of the two. Might as well take the high road.

This is exactly right Pistol. We are on a three season run of success that this program has never experienced and the message board is full of posts about a team that we have not played since Lorenzo Romar was coaching the Billikens. Why do we need Mizzou fans to affirm that we are a good team? Being ranked in the top #20 and headed for our third NCAA Tournament in three seasons tells us we are a good program. Lets enjoy the ride and stop worrying about what Mizzou fans think about us. They have plenty of things to worry about with their basketball program.

The whole thing is Mizzou fans are the ones bringing up the whole thing. They are the ones creating the post on Tigerboard and stltoday.com. They are the ones calling the radio stations making fools out of themselves.

Is it wrong to talk about how we are being discussed?

What's been coming up - SLU vs. Mizzou?

If SLU has been coming up a lot apart from any discussion about Mizzou, then that's good. But if we're only being brought up in the context of, "hey, look at this, the secondary program is doing all right," then it's annoying.

But I stand by my point. We need to drop the whole always-looking-at-Mizzou thing if we're ever going to get over our inferiority complex. At some point, media and the general public will come around and stop treating us like the lesser of the two. Might as well take the high road.

Both. Stand alone SLU talk, but a lot of Mizzou should play SLU talk and SLU is better than Mizzou talk... this is coming from a variety of media folks. The media perception is starting to change and you are also getting a lot more respect for the A-10. People not automatically assuming the SEC is better because of the "BCS" label. It's a lot of different media types talking SLU fairly intelligently, not just Rammer and Frank like it used to be.

I know it is obvious that getting into the Big East would help us, but I really think locally, that slowly over time SLU would be the place to look for the casual bball fan with no connection to either school, who just wants to follow good hoops. Martin Kilcoyne did a little commentary that while Mizzou raised their profile in football by going to the SEC, they may be discovering that it may hurt the bball program. Outside of Kentucky, bball will always play second fiddle to football in the SEC. It probably was something a lot of Mizzou fans didn't think about. Contrast that to the Big East where bball is king, we have a real opportunity to longer be viewed as "little brother" by the media.

Both. Stand alone SLU talk, but a lot of Mizzou should play SLU talk and SLU is better than Mizzou talk... this is coming from a variety of media folks. The media perception is starting to change and you are also getting a lot more respect for the A-10. People not automatically assuming the SEC is better because of the "BCS" label. It's a lot of different media types talking SLU fairly intelligently, not just Rammer and Frank like it used to be.

I know it is obvious that getting into the Big East would help us, but I really think locally, that slowly over time SLU would be the place to look for the casual bball fan with no connection to either school, who just wants to follow good hoops. Martin Kilcoyne did a little commentary that while Mizzou raised their profile in football by going to the SEC, they may be discovering that it may hurt the bball program. Outside of Kentucky, bball will always play second fiddle to football in the SEC. It probably was something a lot of Mizzou fans didn't think about. Contrast that to the Big East where bball is king, we have a real opportunity to longer be viewed as "little brother" by the media.

If Mizzou tanks this season and loses its top two players to the NBA (at least a decent chance of that happening) they will be garbage next season (Haith's seat would be real hot), creating an even bigger opportunity for SLU to grab more of the media attention. The question becomes whether SLU can sustain the success beyond this season to merit the continued media attention.

Except for a small minority, the smaller private school will always play second fiddle to the large public university as far as local coverage goes. Let the general public and the talking heads pump their chests about Mizzou. I will take a packed Chaifetz, a 17-2 record and the ranking over coverage in 2 dying medias. Forget about the Post and radio, they don't matter.

If Mizzou tanks this season and loses its top two players to the NBA (at least a decent chance of that happening) they will be garbage next season (Haith's seat would be real hot), creating an even bigger opportunity for SLU to grab more of the media attention. The question becomes whether SLU can sustain the success beyond this season to merit the continued media attention.

Who was the last missou player to be on an nba roster? Their fans act like their loaded with lottery picks but I think its been a while.

Who was the last missou player to be on an nba roster? Their fans act like their loaded with lottery picks but I think its been a while.

oops, it looks like phil pressey actually plays in the nba.

Phil pressey and demmare carrol are on rosters right now. Kim English was on the pistons last year.

Mizzou fans are idiots.

I totally agree with your main point, but at this point most of the chirping is originating from the other side. All the Mizzou talk on here is in response to smack and whining on Tigerboard, local TV/radio, etc. I think most Bills fans know we have bigger fish to fry right now than rehashing the old back-and-forth about playing Mizzou that's been going on intermittently for over 10 years now.

It was Mizzou fans complaining about the SLU coverage today.

Who cares what some idiot that calls into a sports talk radio show thinks? I listen to Rene Knott and Charlie Marlow fairly frequently and I have noticed when Rene talks about and praises the Billikens he seems to start comparing them to Mizzou and the Illini. It is probably only a matter of time before he baits a Mizzou or Illinois fan into calling in. And the people who call into sports talk radio seldom represent the typical fan. I think it is a slow time for local sports talk radio, so maybe this is a way for them to make things interesting since there haven't been many seasons SLU was the top dog standing over Mizzou and the Illini. Honestly though, I think most Illinois and Mizzou fans are more focused on their teams poor play than worrying about comparing themselves to SLU. Like I said earlier, there is no debate that SLU is the top local program this year and you likely wouldn't hear much of an argument from most Mizzou or Illinois fans.

I think the debate is a healthy thing because it is starting to change some commonly held assumptions. The topic never would have even been considered in the not too distant past. I think respect for the A-10 has also slowly grown locally in recent years. You rarely hear the cheerleading about the MVC that we used to get.