STLtoday.com

davidnark

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a few useful facts:

-With over 60,000 alumni in the St. Louis metro area, SLU has the largest local alumni base of any university that has a D1 college basketball program (and is nearly tied with UMSL for 1st)

-There are over 8,000 more SLU alumni in the St. Louis metro area than there are MU alumni

-SLU's current enrollment is 14,000, its largest ever

-It is exactly 2.4 miles from the Post Dispatch's headquarters to SLU's Chaifetz arena

-According to a recent national survey, college basketball is tied (with the NBA and NHL) for the 4th most popular team sport in the USA.

-As a top 25 program, is takes 0-1 clicks to find a SLU basketeball pre or post-game headline on major national sports sites such as espn.com, cbssports.com, si.com, etc.

-To find a similar article on STLtoday.com, it takes 3 clicks (i.e. Sports, Colleges, SLU)

-The Cardinals won't have an official game for 9 weeks; the Rams won't have an official game for 30 weeks

-Bud Light commercials have no relevance to sports

Another email to Bailon with these facts and no ball-licking would add some important facts to the case.

I think the publisher's address is [email protected]

Frankly at this point, I don't give a damn. I seriously doubt any email is gonna make a difference with these windbags. They print what they wanna print, when they want to print it. Personally, I'd prefer over the top arrogance at this point. Just wait till we lose and then put up a picture of JJ missing a dunk (getting hacked) and call it a day. That rag is so lacking in relevance, I'd be embarrassed to appear in it.

Kevin Johnson couldn't even get a picture of Uncle Charlie in with his chastising review. Uncle Charlie, ... really?! He maketh no such mistakes. Thou opinions are stale.

Sometimes I wonder if this board was better when the team wasn't good

This board is a LOT better now. Much better basketball discussion. Mizzou trolls posing as SLU fans whose sole purpose was to disrupt the board have been driven away. The petty little shots at our HOF coach have also gone away. The Majerus legacy has prevailed and what he built has been fully appreciated. None of these board improvements happened with the efforts of the so-called moderator. Evidently he's more concerend about the reputation of the Mizzou coach and recruits who chose NOT to go to SLU. Not sure why anybody would carry the water for him on BILLIKENS.com

Apparently my tongue in cheek nonsense posts have been poorly received..

I like how someone who has been on this board for a little more than a month tries to call you out like that like he knows how you've been posting on here for years.

This board is a LOT better now. Much better basketball discussion. Mizzou trolls posing as SLU fans whose sole purpose was to disrupt the board have been driven away. The petty little shots at our HOF coach have also gone away. The Majerus legacy has prevailed and what he built has been fully appreciated. None of these board improvements happened with the efforts of the so-called moderator. Evidently he's more concerend about the reputation of the Mizzou coach and recruits who chose NOT to go to SLU. Not sure why anybody would carry the water for him on BILLIKENS.com

I agree with that. My post was more in jest. I especially agree that it's a lot better with no more Mizzou trolls. I have no problem if you want to be a Mizzou fan and a Billiken fan, but don't come to THIS message board and support Mizzou.

If that's the case, I think I don't mind seeing posters get at each other.

Exactly. Let's get back to mediocrity so everyone on here can be more civil? That's got to be the most ludicrous post ever. Let the sparks continue to fly, and the Bills keep up their winning ways. We're only here because we love the Bills, and we love 'em a whole lot more when they're winning.

You don't get to make that decision.

What decision? This isn't a Mizzou message board. Why would anyone come on here to support them? Coming on here to bash them is different. We do that with just about every team we play and a bunch of teams we don't play. Any thread supporting Mizzou is as off topic as a topic talking about a new restaurant opening up in Phoenix, Arizona.

If someone is willing to deal with the backlash of supporting an enemy program, fine.

As long as someone supporting that enemy program doesn't complain they're getting treated badly for rooting for another team, I have no problem with it.

I can deal with getting razzed for rooting for Mizzou. That's normal. What I hate is the insinuation -- or even outright accusation -- that I must not really be a SLU fan because of it.

Who does?

Steve -- SluSignGuy -- who went to George Washington and, I believe, actually rooted for GW over SLU when he was attending that school.

I can deal with getting razzed for rooting for Mizzou. That's normal. What I hate is the insinuation -- or even outright accusation -- that I must not really be a SLU fan because of it.

Facts are fact:

45047827.jpg

What decision? This isn't a Mizzou message board. Why would anyone come on here to support them? Coming on here to bash them is different. We do that with just about every team we play and a bunch of teams we don't play. Any thread supporting Mizzou is as off topic as a topic talking about a new restaurant opening up in Phoenix, Arizona.

I fundamentally disagree. Fans of Portland, Oregon, Southern Illinois, Missouri State, Valparaiso, Cincinnati, Dayton, VCU, Xavier, St. Bonaventure, and others have come on here to support their teams. Most of them do it only when their team will soon play or has just played SLU, but some of them take up rather long-term residence. How many towns close themselves off from the outside world and permit no visitors or tourists? Of course, they do have to obey the local laws while they're there! As for Mizzou, it does seem a little less likely that Mizzou fans would really be all that interested in posting here, because Mizzou and SLU don't play one another, but St. Louis is located in the state of Missouri, some SLU fans love to hate the Tigers, and there are some basketball fans in the city who have at least some interest in both schools. Why do some members of the media tend to pose the question of which one of the teams is better?

Steve -- SluSignGuy -- who went to George Washington and, I believe, actually rooted for GW over SLU when he was attending that school.

That's what I figured. And when Steve built this website he put the following in the "About Billikens.com" section:

About Billikens.com

Billikens.com is a site run by the fans for the fans of Saint Louis University Men’s Basketball.

If you want to be a Billikens fan and a Mizzou fan, that's fine. I don't care. I think it impairs your ability to be as rabid a SLU fan as others in some ways, but that doesn't mean you're not a fan at some level. I have friends that are "SLU fans" that don't follow the program as closely as I do, and maybe even have another team they root for, but still enjoy watching and cheering for the Billikens. Whatever.

That said, it's a site run for the fans of Saint Louis University Men's Basketball, plain and simple. You seem to insert yourself into any Mizzou conversation that hits the board lately, which is your "right" I guess, but if you don't understand why it makes you seem disingenuous then it seems like you've got bigger fish to fry. In the last few months the combination of your Mizzou related content and your nit-picking of other members' posts (grammar, semantics, capitalization, etc.) leads me to believe you want your role on this board in 2014 to be as old and played out as Roy's anti-initial campaign of 2013.

Steve may well have rooted for GW over SLU, but I doubt he stuck his foot into every conversation that mentioned GW just to play devil's advocate. From my point of view, you don't even seem to have a pro-Mizzou bias in every situation. It seems like you just enjoy instigating further conversation about the other (read: Mizzou leaning) view point every time Mizzou comes up.

The "SLU" tab is still right there under sports for me. I'm not sure if I'm seeing a different version of the website than some or what. It's still right below "MIZZOU" and right above "COLLEGE" in the drop down menu.

It's frustrating to me too that Mizzou continues to see more coverage given the respective states of the two programs, but it's also obvious that a lot of the angst in this thread stems from political paranoia that has absolutely nothing to do with basketball. Every thread that starts out on this topic inevitably deteriorates into laughably generic "evil liberal media" tripe. The reality is SLU (even with the gaudy record and ranking) isn't going to make a dent in Cards, Rams, and Blues coverage except for when they play an opponent that is equally attention-grabbing. The fact that one single Mizzou/Alabama story was included in the mountain of offseason talk the Billikens were buried in is a very small part of the overall issue.

That's what I figured. And when Steve built this website he put the following in the "About Billikens.com" section:

If you want to be a Billikens fan and a Mizzou fan, that's fine. I don't care. I think it impairs your ability to be as rabid a SLU fan as others in some ways, but that doesn't mean you're not a fan at some level. I have friends that are "SLU fans" that don't follow the program as closely as I do, and maybe even have another team they root for, but still enjoy watching and cheering for the Billikens. Whatever.

That said, it's a site run for the fans of Saint Louis University Men's Basketball, plain and simple. You seem to insert yourself into any Mizzou conversation that hits the board lately, which is your "right" I guess, but if you don't understand why it makes you seem disingenuous then it seems like you've got bigger fish to fry. In the last few months the combination of your Mizzou related content and your nit-picking of other members' posts (grammar, semantics, capitalization, etc.) leads me to believe you want your role on this board in 2014 to be as old and played out as Roy's anti-initial campaign of 2013.

Steve may well have rooted for GW over SLU, but I doubt he stuck his foot into every conversation that mentioned GW just to play devil's advocate. From my point of view, you don't even seem to have a pro-Mizzou bias in every situation. It seems like you just enjoy instigating further conversation about the other (read: Mizzou leaning) view point every time Mizzou comes up.

Regarding the statement I highlighted in bold, you couldn't be more wrong, in my case. I'm definitely a rabid Bills fan (somewhat less so a Tigers fan). As for the rest, there's nothing I can say to prevent your perception from being your reality. But I guess I should stop caring about what you guys think of my choices. Oh, and one other thing. Regarding what you said about Steve's not discussing GW here much: in case you hadn't noticed, Steve doesn't post about anything here nearly as much as I do.

Absurd would pull for SLU against Mizzou. He's said it countless times. Not sure what the issue is. It's not like he sits here and flames the board all day long. You can't force someone to NOT like a certain team or discuss what they want to discuss. Just ignore it if you don't like it.

Regarding the statement I highlighted in bold, you couldn't be more wrong, in my case. I'm definitely a rabid Bills fan (somewhat less so a Tigers fan). As for the rest, there's nothing I can say to prevent your perception from being your reality. But I guess I should stop caring about what you guys think of my choices. Oh, and one other thing. Regarding what you said about Steve's not discussing GW here much: in case you hadn't noticed, Steve doesn't post about anything here nearly as much as I do.

Regarding the statement I highlighted in bold, you definitely should if you're going to keep conversing about Mizzou on a Billikens message board that, as I quote above, is by and for fans of Saint Louis University Men's Basketball, because you'll never come out of that conversation having accomplished anything.

Personally, I find it weird that this board has a so-called moderator that gets into arguments with multiple posters. It tends to take away the sense of impartiality and credibility you'd expect from a moderator of a message board when he is constantly inserting himself into discussions and criticizing other posters. In my opinion, a moderator should be around to answer questions, try to keep threads on topic, weed out trolls, enforce the board's given policies, attempt to calm down confrontations and overall make the board an enjoyable place for its posters.

Regarding the statement I highlighted in bold, you definitely should if you're going to keep conversing about Mizzou on a Billikens message board that, as I quote above, is by and for fans of Saint Louis University Men's Basketball, because you'll never come out of that conversation having accomplished anything.

Not withstanding the fact that I don't start many threads, I never start a discussion about Mizzou. I don't come here to discuss Mizzou. I'm not even that big on discussing Mizzou on Tigerboard. But other people -- SLU fans -- talk about Mizzou all of the time. Why am I not allowed to participate in those conversations?

Lastly, when there's a rule (like the Constitution or "for the fans by the fans") with a subset of rules (like the many thousands of laws on the books), then someone must be designated to interpret and enforce those rules. I happen to be one of those people on Billikens.com.