Wiz Top 25

The Wiz

Well the snow gods have smiled down on Iggy and granted me a snow day which gives me the time to put together a Top 25 list

Here is my ranking....the number after the team is the AP poll rank

1. Oh St........3

2. Ariz...........1

3. Lville.........14

4. Ok Dt.........6

5. Mich St.......5

6 Iowa St........13

7. Wisc............4

8 Iowa.............22

9. Duke...........7

10. Kan..........16

11. Ky............15

12. Gonz.........24

13. Villa..........11

14. Cretn.........ORV

15. Mich..........ORV

16. Pitt.............ORV

17. Fla.............12

18. Syr.............2

19. Ark.............NR

20 SD St..........21

21. Wich St......8

22. Cinn............NR

23. Ore..............10

24. No Car.........19

25. Baylor...........9

28. The Bills .......NR

29. VCU..............NR

34. UMass...........23

Random thoughts

I don't think a win over RI will be enough to get on my list but a win over Dayton and we will make it....with the AP ...who knows. Much of it is based on name recognition, history, conference bias, emotion etc. As the season goes on the 2 lists come together a little more as the numbers wring some of the emotion out of the AP list. Another couple of wins and the voters will start to take notice of the Bills.

The teams from Wichita St and higher are all A+ teams ....the rest are A.

Outside factors can effect the numbers but the system only adjusts on the fly. An example would be Lville. They are rated #3 but just recently lost 2 key players for the season. It will be difficult for them to maintain that #3. Even though they have played 2 games and won them both without the 2 players their numbers are starting to slip.

There is generally more agreement with the first half of the list than the 2nd half.(Wiz vs AP) Most voters know about 10-15 good teams and then just fill out the rest of the card in a more random fashion so there tends to be more divergence on the lower half.

Hopefully, the next Top 25 list I put out will have the Bills on it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So a team basically has to be A+ to be Top 25? I would guess those are the best candidates to reach the Sweet 16 — though there's almost always a team or two from outside that group that gets there. Except for Wichita State, all of those teams are from the so-called major conferences (and Gonzaga), but ordinarily a mid-major or two (or three) plays into the Sweet 16.

So a team basically has to be A+ to be Top 25? I would guess those are the best candidates to reach the Sweet 16 though there's almost always a team or two from outside that group that gets there. Except for Wichita State, all of those teams are from the so-called major conferences (and Gonzaga), but ordinarily a mid-major or two (or three) plays into the Sweet 16.

Top 25 doesn't take teams getting hot into account. That can be all that matters to make a run

based on what I saw yesterday, I'll go with Michigan State for now as #1.

also think SDSU has some pretty good guys out there -- watched them some while in Calif. let's see how they do in KS.

Iowa & Iowa State = really??

I like corn

So a team basically has to be A+ to be Top 25? I would guess those are the best candidates to reach the Sweet 16 though there's almost always a team or two from outside that group that gets there. Except for Wichita State, all of those teams are from the so-called major conferences (and Gonzaga), but ordinarily a mid-major or two (or three) plays into the Sweet 16.

Are you considering both the Big East and the AAC major conferences?

based on what I saw yesterday, I'll go with Michigan State for now as #1.

also think SDSU has some pretty good guys out there -- watched them some while in Calif. let's see how they do in KS.

Iowa & Iowa State = really??

I watched Michigan St struggle to beat Columbia at home, and watched them get pounded by UNC at home. Based on this, I think they should be ranked #96. (sarcasm)

I'm still not clear on where the A-10 falls in this conference classification stuff, since none of the various "mid-major top 25" ranking systems include it but nobody considers it in the same class as the Big East. Maybe there needs to be a new bucket for the A-10, Conference USA, and Mountain West.

I'm still not clear on where the A-10 falls in this conference classification stuff, since none of the various "mid-major top 25" ranking systems include it but nobody considers it in the same class as the Big East. Maybe there needs to be a new bucket for the A-10, Conference USA, and Mountain West.

There's good reason for confusion: there's no real consensus.

Thanks Wiz. The Syracuse ranking is interesting. They slip pretty far in your poll. They're an interesting team since they play zone exclusively. We need to figure out how to beat that zone before the national championship game. That's one of our obvious weaknesses.

Wichita St moving up to 6 and Wisconsin still at 4 just shows how good we are considering that the former was definitely winnable if our offense had shown up in the final 6 minutes. I still believe we can beat anyone if we play our game and the offense is even just somewhat decent. Our defense is still hands down the best in the country.