Happy, happy, happy

Billikenswin

Just back from the game and this was without a doubt the best game of the year for our Bills. When I watched Indy State dismantle and rout Notre Dame on their home floor I thought we would have a hell of a time beating them but our defense was excellent, our offense was efficient and we made threes and free throws. The result was a lopsided win against a solid team.

But I am confused. I read the game thread and MOYTOY and BACKHAND are ripping the team and the players throughout until the very end. No one challenges them. After a loss we get a huge amount of hand wringing and complaining and even after wins people like Taj complain like crazy. But when we win a nice game by 17 points and play well the board is basically silent. What the hell is it with Billiken fans? We expect the moon and complain constantly. Our fans need a serious reality check.

Just back from the game and this was without a doubt the best game of the year for our Bills. When I watched Indy State dismantle and rout Notre Dame on their home floor I thought we would have a hell of a time beating them but our defense was excellent, our offense was efficient and we made threes and free throws. The result was a lopsided win against a solid team.

But I am confused. I read the game thread and MOYTOY and BACKHAND are ripping the team and the players throughout until the very end. No one challenges them. After a loss we get a huge amount of hand wringing and complaining and even after wins people like Taj complain like crazy. But when we win a nice game by 17 points and play well the board is basically silent. What the hell is it with Billiken fans? We expect the moon and complain constantly. Our fans need a serious reality check.

Come visit section 108 for a reality check, pal

Perhaps you're a pessimist. I read the GDT and see a number of positive responses on there, and it's not "constant ripping throughout until the very end." You must be a very timid and sensitive person if you consider that "ripping" or overly negative. And you probably just don't GET Backhand's attempts at humor.

I was harsh on GG and JB, deservedly so. I didn't rip the team. I didn't throw out personal insults. GG was not good and I'm not particularly impressed with anything he has done here. I'm bummed that RA and TL haven't taken more of his minutes. GG is a liability on both offense and defense.

Our offense was crap out of the gate.

JB wasn't very good for large stretches.

RL was very good (as I stated in the GDT). JM was good (as I stated in the GDT). DE was good (don't think i stated the obvious in the GDT). McBroom was good (made note of that after the game in response to another poster). JJ was good, but had 2 really bad turnovers in a row (again) in a crucial part of the game.

Perhaps you're a pessimist. I read the GDT and see a number of positive responses on there, and it's not "constant ripping throughout until the very end." You must be a very timid and sensitive person if you consider that "ripping" or overly negative. And you probably just don't GET Backhand's attempts at humor.

Game threads always read a little more "glass half empty" to me when Jimbo is not a part of them. Not enough HATE.

Game threads always read a little more "glass half empty" to me when Jimbo is not a part of them. Not enough HATE.

Another thing to take into account is you are reading how people are reacting in real-time, as opposed to after the game is actually over and someone can sit down and think about what they're going to write for awhile. Therefore, you are generally going to get a lot of overreaction and negativity as you are dealing with people that are in the moment.

Now, if boytoy wanted to actually go into a normal thread and point out 20+ times how bad Glaze and Barnett are, then he'd rightfully be ridiculed (as he generally is anyway since he doesn't know sh!t about anything!) But, during the course of a single gameday thread, he is just riding his childlike emotions like a rollercoaster and needs to be given a little slack.

Another thing to take into account is you are reading how people are reacting in real-time, as opposed to after the game is actually over and someone can sit down and think about what they're going to write for awhile. Therefore, you are generally going to get a lot of overreaction and negativity as you are dealing with people that are in the moment.

Now, if boytoy wanted to actually go into a normal thread and point out 20+ times how bad Glaze and Barnett are, then he'd rightfully be ridiculed (as he generally is anyway since he doesn't know **** about anything!) But, during the course of a single gameday thread, he is just riding his childlike emotions like a rollercoaster and needs to be given a little slack.

mods, please ban bizzleboy.

this is the first thread I opened, pretty entertaining, though not sure if this is the right place for my JB will absolutely not be starting for us by the end of the season comment. great win, I couldn't believe we were favored by 10 going in. best first half for the quality of opponent this year.

JB shouldnt be playing comments relate to all Billiken threads.

I was thrilled by last night's win. As for my "negativity,' blame my upbringing ---- my dad, my coaches, my playing days and my coaching days. There will always be something to improve on. If you ain't growing, you're regressing. What needs work still even with last night? JJ's free throws. Cannot have our primary point guard shooting 25 % on the nght, 57% for the year. Mike McCall's consistency and production. Two threes is great; six point per game is not. Jake Barnett's defense and shooting. Can he guard anyone and 1-for-6 is unacceptable from a "gunner." Rebounding. Despite a robust 34 to 20 advantage, this always needs work. Exterior shooting game. When it works, like last night, we are nearly unbeatable.

However, my main negativity still remains in that even with a 19 point lead at the two-minute mark, none of our frosh even sniffed a cameo appearance. Just saying. But there remains NC A&T and Yale; I suspect they will only see the floor in Nashville in a dire emergency role.

I was thrilled by last night's win. As for my "negativity,' bla my upbringing ---- my dad, my coaches, my playing days and my ching ays. Thre will always be something to improve on. If you ain't growing, you're regressing. What needs work still even with last night? JJ's free throws. Cannot have our primary point guard shooting 25 % on the nght, 57% for the year. Mike McCall's consistency and production. Two threes is great; six point per game is not. Jake Barnett's defense and shooting. Can he guard anyone and 1-for-6 is unacceptable from a "gunner." Rebounding. Despite a robust 34 to 20 advantage, this alway sneeds work. Exterior shooting game. When it works, like last night, we are nearly unbeatable.

However, my main negativity still remains in that even with a 19 poin tlead at th etow-minute mark, none of our frosh even sniffed a cameo appearance. Just saying. But there remains NC A&T and Yale; I suspect they will only see th efloor in Nashville in a dire emergency role.

Taj the inevitability is that we are only going to play an 8-9 man rotation in our big games. So let's for assume for a second that we are only playing 8 guys. We start four (4) guards or wings if you count Dwayne as a wing, which I do. That means that neither Manning nor Glaze will start. Additionally, you need a guard off the bench so that's where McBroom comes in. This leaves two (2) bench spots to go towards Lancona, Glaze, Manning and Reggie. In order for one of the freshman to play they would have to beat out one of those two. Obviously neither one is going to play ahead of Manning at this point, as he is our only true shot blocker and center. And Glaze has tons more experience than either of those guys.

I also think that if any freshman were to play it would be Reggie. Lancona is good and will be a very good player, but he isn't ready for the physicality of good teams. Reggie just suffered a concussion and has been pushed back in the rotation because of it.

The less Grandy, the better. He rebounds well but he just clogs things up down low on offense. He also still tries to do way too much sometimes when he gets the ball in the post. I'd rather see Reggie once he's over the concussion. I would be fine if Reggie missed Saturday's game because then he has 9 more deals to heal.

@Nate --- thanks and I get all that. I think your analysis is right on but having said that, it still does not diminish the fact that I was expecting more from our freshmen, maybe not the moon, maybe not the stars, but at least a little more than ground zero. And as I have said in every post since the original statement -- there is stil time.

If Crews gives these guys the standard one-to-five minute outtings we have seen to date, that's his call. And I totally get those guys who say "freshmen sit" in transition in most good programs. The growth process is an obvious one, one that includes many steps along the way. But I will admit I was hoping for no more than occassional baby steps from our frosh. I see nothing so far. And I am still part of the jury that is out on Glaze and Manning.

But those are topics for another day. I feel I've made my point. Last night's game shows that, when clicking, the Billiken is alive and well down on Centene Court. To rehash and resurrect another old saying of mine .. this team has to bring it's lunch pail to every game. Last night's win was based on last year's blueprint. It can be done but you have to make shots. Consistently. At least two guys a night.

Just wait until MM gets over whatever little funk he's in right now. We'll be an offensive steamroller. GG's rebounding is good, but he's got to get back to those first two games when it comes to offense. Granted, not much competition, but at least he played somewhat under control.