MSOC: Billikens vs. Oral Roberts

WUH

My daughter is a High Point University (NC) graduate. At her commencement ceremony, and at at least the last six or seven, they have released a bald eagle to symbolize graduates taking flight. The bald eagle was injured very young and was nursed back to health by volunteers from HPU and with funding provided by HPU (among others). So there is a connection.

When she graduated in 2012, the eagle was brought out for its annual symbolic gig after the opening processional and placed on its perch on the stage as the president explained the symbolism and connection. It was then released prior to all the speeches and awards and diplomas and so on (Laura Bush was keynote). The eagle takes four ceremonial circles of the graduation grounds symbolizing four years of undergrad work before it flie soff. The ceremony is held outside on the main lawn in front of the HPU admin building. It was then supposed to fly and land down out of sight behind Hayworth Fine Arts Center. On the fourth a final pass, a wild bird of prey -- either a peregrine falcon or a red hawk --- living in the trees or eaves of the campus decided this interloper would not move in on his/her territory without a fight. It gave it three strikes (laps) to leave and when it didn't, it attacked. The eagle was obviously not trained much in terms of living in the wild or in self-defense but performed a roll and dive to escape the attacker. It went down, under attack, behind the dome of Hayworth amid a loud groannig hush from the crowd.

Afterwards, all the audience wanted to know was if "Baldy" (I forget it's real name) was okay. It was.

Shite happens. Windows. Bird crap. Unexpected attacks.

Oral Roberts lost 3-1 to SMU in exhibition which is no embarassment. They were one of the worst teams in the D-1 last year but look to be better. Had a striker and midfielder named to the Summit Conf. preseason All-Conf list.

My favorite Oral Roberts memory is back from when SLU and ORU were in the same conference. In 1985 (possibly 84) Oral Roberts' (future NBA'er) Mark Acres was looking for any action he could get after beating SLU (he asked me directly and I was no help). He resorted to letting a few SLU freshmen still milling about after the game at Old Kiel know his hotel and room number. This was right after SI profiled him and his brother for being such righteous people ("fundamentalists with fundamentals" was the hook).

• Billikens vs. Oral Roberts - 7 p.m. Friday night

Details: The Billikens kick off their 2013 campaign Friday night when they host Oral Roberts at Robert R. Hermann Stadium. SLU, the defending Atlantic 10 Conference champion, is ranked as high as No. 8 in the preseason soccer polls. For a complete preview, click here.

Tickets: Tickets are available at the gate for $10 (adults) and $5 (youth).

Promotions: The first 75 youth (12 and under) receive a free SLU youth soccer jersey.

• Billikens vs. Oral Roberts - 7 p.m. Friday night

Details: The Billikens kick off their 2013 campaign Friday night when they host Oral Roberts at Robert R. Hermann Stadium. SLU, the defending Atlantic 10 Conference champion, is ranked as high as No. 8 in the preseason soccer polls. For a complete preview, click here.

Tickets: Tickets are available at the gate for $10 (adults) and $5 (youth).

Promotions: The first 75 youth (12 and under) receive a free SLU youth soccer jersey.

</p>

It is going to be brutal out there tonight.

I have no clue who that is except to guess it's some cartoon. Just please don't let your kid watch spongebob or Barney.

Don't ever compare Spongebob to Barney. Spongebob is actually funny a lot of the time(many enjoyable hours spent watching Spongebob with my kids). Barney is just a big stupid purple piece of crap.

Playing like complete dogsh-t. First half 1-0 oral Roberts. Horrible cross pass 15 yds out of our own 18 which was picked up by fwd who buried it. Francisco is a waste of space....90% of his balls played are negative. Adnan is lazy. Seems like we are playing without a true right mid with Marco getting up very high while sweets is tucked in almost as a d-mid. Oral is bunkering in for sure but no excuse.

Graydon getting cocky and just playing around on the turnover. Francisco is not ready. Move graydon up and find a defensive mid. Keep sending the ball down the wing getting some good crosses but our6'4" forward is roaming around 20 yds out. With fransisco and adnon its like we have no center of the field except for graydon and sweets occasional runs in before pushing it wide or turning and dropping it back.