Recruiting - 2016

Basically I've heard a couple more people say he's an elite shooter with size. All the same stuff but maybe an attitude issue. But the bigger thing for me is that he clearly fits what Crews is trying to do. I saw that in the open practices. Like I said, I still think we could have waited, but if we aren't going to land top talent, we need to at least land guys who fit the system.

When I hear elite shooter, that says to me that anything less than 40% from 3 is symptomatic of a gross overstatement of his talents. I hope everyone else shares similar expectations, or you're all a bunch of water-treading *******.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I hear elite shooter, that says to me that anything less than 40% from 3 is symptomatic of a gross overstatement of his talents. I hope everyone else shares similar expectations, or you're all a bunch of water-treading *******.

I completely agree with that.

Based on Moore's HS numbers (assuming the actual percentages are relatively close), he has a chance to be an elite college shooter. I've seen time and time again that numbers don't translate between levels, but his are certainly promising.

-I looked at the last 10 seasons for 3pt shooters making 40% or more who attempted at least 2 3pt shots per game and we have had 7 players achieve that mark...

-2005-06 - Lisch and Drejaj

-2006-07 - Lisch and Liddell

-2007-08 - none, Danny Brown only took 51 shots

-2008-09 - none

-2009-10 - none

-2010-11 - none, Paul Eckerle only took 35 shots

-2011-12 - none

-2012-13 - Mike McCall

-2013-14- none, Mike Crawford only took 29 shots

-2014-15 - Austin McBroom and Marcus Bartley

-... more than I expected

-Drejaj, McBroom and Bartley had a higher 3pt% than 2pt%

I expect that number eventually but not his freshman year. Claggett and Highmark didn't shoot 40% their freshmen year. And Moore will get fewer attempts to shoot early in his career than they did. There will be upperclassmen playing in front of him.

I expect that number eventually but not his freshman year. Claggett and Highmark didn't shoot 40% their freshmen year. And Moore willaa got a fewer attempts to shoot early in his career than they did. There will be upperclassmen playing in front of him.

If we aren't bringing in guys who will compete for minutes right away, then the program is going to have a long fallow period.

If Moore is playing lots of minutes as a freshman, then he's even better than I think he is. And I'm his biggest supporter. His time will come sophomore year aftee Crawford graduates.

I am curious how often you have watched Moore play (I have not watched him at all, so this is not a shot) and what you think of him as a prospect (you may have already done this, but I don't feel like clicking thru the thread)?

If Moore is playing lots of minutes as a freshman, then he's even better than I think he is. And I'm his biggest supporter. His time will come sophomore year aftee Crawford graduates.

If a former walk-on is competing for PG minutes this year, shouldn't we have the expectation that anyone we bring in will compete for minutes immediately? Ash will be graduating, and we may have one or more players transfer. Plus, this isn't exactly the talented, senior-loaded 2013-2014 team. Any recruit that can't push these guys for minutes is probably a disappointment.

If a former walk-on is competing for PG minutes this year, shouldn't we have the expectation that anyone we bring in will compete for minutes immediately? Ash will be graduating, and we may have one or more players transfer. Plus, this isn't exactly the talented, senior-loaded 2013-2014 team. Any recruit that can't push these guys for minutes is probably a disappointment.

I believe this team has the potential to be a top 50 team by the time Moore begins his college career. So if by "push for minutes", you mean 10-12 minutes a game, then yes, I believe Moore will push for minutes. I expect Roby, Bartley, Crawford, Milik and either Bishop or Reynolds to soak up most of the minutes at the guard/wing positions by then.

The primary reason the former walk-on will get minutes this year is because of his defense. Our containment of point guard penetration was horrible last year. I'm just not sure Hines can score enough at this level to break into the rotation. Bishop is clearly a more talented scorer and passer.

-SLU was out to see Lorenzo Edwards with Boston College and Buffalo.

-Eddie Ekiyor has reclassified as a 2015 player and will enroll somewhere mid-year. He has visits scheduled to Xavier, Florida, Vandy, and Miami. This is the kid from Canada who was going to attend prep school this year but was invovled in a hit-and-run incident this summer. I guess he's not going to be forced to stay in Canada beyond this calendar year. He's in court today as a formality. SLU appears to be completely out of the picture, but it's an interesting story to watch nonetheless.

-Ferguson visited Tennessee State over Labor Day weekend. It's his first official visit.

-Hayward has a couple more offers: Middle Tennessee and Youngstown State.

-Clayton Hughes is off the board. Committed to Central Florida.

-Valpo, UIC, and UWGB were in to see Zion Morgan this week.

-Smith is reportedly down to Ball State and Evansville, his only two scheduled official visits. He cut NKU out of his plans.

-It's hard to tell if West is actually a basketball recruit anymore. His Twitter account was all about his recruitment and basketball in general, when suddenly he tweeted a few cryptic things, and now it's all about training for MMA and some pyramid scheme for supplements he's bought into (Advocare). From the little bit I can garner in replies, it appears that he isn't cleared to play HS ball this year (he's transferred a few times and reclassified once). His recruitment has always been a mess. I'm taking him off the board unless he mysteriously pops up again.

• 2 weeks later...

There was some speculation that he'd call it for Iowa after his visit. Not surprised he cancelled this weekend's Arkansas visit, but I am surprised he's leaving Florida in the mix. He has yet to schedule an official visit there.

There was some speculation that he'd call it for Iowa after his visit. Not surprised he cancelled this weekend's Arkansas visit, but I am surprised he's leaving Florida in the mix. He has yet to schedule an official visit there.

A free trip to Florida for a football a month from now would be a nice little vacation.

A free trip to Florida for a football a month from now would be a nice little vacation.

Whoops, I was wrong - he already visited Florida. Iowa was last weekend, Arkansas was scheduled for this weekend. Iowa State and Mizzou had yet to be scheduled for officials. Virginia was the sixth school.

Tyler Cook down to Iowa and Florida. Sounds like Iowa is the leader from what I was reading but either way it looks like Mizzou won't get either Sneed or Cook with the hire of Tate. I kind of thought at least one after they hired him.

I look forward to seeing how the SPUMAC cheerleaders spin this one. I'm sure the P-D "beat writer" will be on the radio soon saying that Mizzou didn't really want Cook (even though they offered). I thought hiring the young hot shot assistant was going to help them land all the local AAU talent? :lol:

I am really interested to see how Cook and Sneed develop at the high-major level. I am not sure I see either as huge losses for the Billikens, but still disappointing to see the top local kids leave the state.

Ummmm I see Cook as a huge loss for the Billikens. Unless you're don't want big meaty power forwards that dunk everything. What's wrong with you? Pistol, you, too. Happy Cook went to Iowa? I think it's a terrible decision. I want every other school that's not SLU to lose every night. Pull it together you field day all-stars.