OT: NBA Draft 2013

Teams will be kicking themselves for years for not taking Oladipo. He's the only All Star in this draft. There are so many talented headcases in this draft class odds are one of them will get on the right team and figure it out. I doubt if that will be McClemore.

Can't believe he and Porter showed up to workouts out of shape. McClemore gained 15 pounds and porter hadn't picked up a basketball since the tourney. What are these guys thinking?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think Ben McLemore is worth risking a very high pick (maybe #1???) on, mostly because of his already exceptional shooting ability and ready-made NBA game. His legitimate ceiling, and a player he compares with favorably from a physical standpoint, is Ray Allen. (Both are 6'5" and around 200) In fact, Ray Allen's shooting percentages as a freshman at UConn are very similar to McLemore's (McLemore shot slightly higher from three than Ray and had a better free throw percentage; Allen had a better overall FG%.)

The one thing that you need in the NBA to succeed and get to the next level is exceptional long-distance shooting. If you can draft a player that is already an elite shooter, and should get better over the years, then you have to consider that. Out of the teams with the top 5 picks, only Washington is a decent 3-pt shooting team (10th in the league.) The other four finished 23rd (Cleveland/1st pick), 29th (Orlando/2nd pick), 27th (Charlotte/4th pick) and 28th (Phoenix/5th pick.) Those 4 teams are in desperate need of some outside shooting. McLemore and Porter provide the best options at the top of the draft in that department

There is 1 major difference between Allen and Mac, Allen has always been an extremely hard worker, Mac is not.

The steal of the draft could be Wyatt out of Temple. Did anyone see him try to single-handedly take down the #1 seed in the tournament.

He is a player that every team tries to stop and no one seems to be able too. But god forbid he is actually 22 years old....he might as well be in a nursing home. I hope my Wizards (yea adopted them since moving to DC) get Nehlrens and then Wyatt in the 2nd round.

Wyatt is going to go to an NBA team who actually knows how to scout talent though. He will probably be on the spurs or celtics...something like that. The Wiz will take Shafeef Adbul-Rahim's son Amir out of Pakistan. He is averaging like 50 points a game....looks real good on tape. #JanVesely

Can't believe he and Porter showed up to workouts out of shape. McClemore gained 15 pounds and porter hadn't picked up a basketball since the tourney. What are these guys thinking?

Of course, the two top-level guys from the Show Me State failed to show up. They can both piss up a rope. Oladipo's the guy. I got sick of hearing his name all last season, thinking he was over-hyped. But after seeing his workout tape recently, I'm taking that guy #1. Insane athleticism, outstanding defender, tremendous worker, and he did shoot 60% from FG, 44% from 3 and 75% from FT for INDIANA. Also an excellent rebounder for his size. By all accounts a great person and teammate. No downsides. None.

Anybody that passes on Oladipo is a gotdamn idiot.

true story, i once waited in line to ride the boss at six flags for 45 minutes standing next to Issac Bruce, then rode in the same cart as Issac. just two world class athletes (me and issac) having the time of our lives

true story, i once waited in line to ride the boss at six flags for 45 minutes standing next to Issac Bruce, then rode in the same cart as Issac. just two world class athletes (me and issac) having the time of our lives

fuok yes.

i don't have any good famous people stories. apparently, chingy made a real hard, yet ultimately unsuccessful, push to fuok my girlfriend at al hrabosky's late one night. i was not there to witness, however, as i left early to ghostride my roommate's 1998 toyota camry through soulard.

There are rumblings that Cleveland might take Alex Len from Maryland with the #1 pick. What they really want to do is trade the pick, but since there aren't any obvious franchise players, they aren't getting any real offers. Len is a true center (7'1" and 255 lbs) who might be a 'safer' pick that Noel. Len has some injury issues as well, as he is recovering from a stress fracture in his ankle. However, if the Cavs are looking for a big man with their pick, Len is probably more NBA ready right now that Noel. He isn't rail-thin, will be able to score more in the low-post, probably rebound better in the NBA and can provide shot-blocking ability (though probably not at the same level as Noel.)

I think the top 5 in the draft will go like this:

1. Alex Len C - Cleveland

2. Ben McLemore SG - Orlando

3. Anthony Bennett SF/PF - Wizards

4. Nerlens Noel C/PF - Charlotte

5. Victor Oladipo SF/SG - Phoenix

I am pretty sure Cleveland is deciding between Noel and Len. Whichever one is not picked is probably going to drop to #4 and to Charlotte, as Orlando and Washington most likely have other plans at their spots. Orlando would really like a SG, and McLemore may be more appealing to them due to his efficient shooting. Oladipo can easily go at #2, but if he doesn't go there, he drops to #5, where he will be a great fit for Phoenix. As for #3 and Washington, they will probably be deciding between Bennett and Porter. I think they go Bennett as he has a more NBA-ready body and can bounce between SF and PF.

fuok yes.

i don't have any good famous people stories. apparently, chingy made a real hard, yet ultimately unsuccessful, push to fuok my girlfriend at al hrabosky's late one night. i was not there to witness, however, as i left early to ghostride my roommate's 1998 toyota camry through soulard.

Chingy handed me one of his cd's before he hit it big. I was riding shotgun in my buddy's exhibition on the Landing when he came running up to to it yelling I am going platinum. Wasn't sure what the f was going on at first and I almost kicked the door in his face.

another time i was probably 8-10 years old standing in a barnes & noble reading sports magazines waiting on my mother while she shopped (plaza frontenac ohlala). on the cover of a magazine was Brian Jordan. the article was a feature on him being a two sport athlete. As i am reading this article i look to my left and see Brian Jordan standing next to me..... reading the same article. Woah

Bizzle. The Wiz need a big man. They have Nene and that is about it in terms of big men. If Noel slips to three....Wiz HAVE to take him.

What about Okafor? They owe him roughly $14 million for next year as well as the additional years to Nene ($13 mill a year thru 2016). Therefore, they are already committed to a lot of money to two big men. I don't think they have to take Noel at that spot if he drops there. But I could be wrong...

fuok yes.

I took a piss, stood right next to Easy Ed McCauley.

He walked up, had a beer in one hand, a hot dog in the other.

He held onto the hot dog with one hand, put the beer on the top of the urinal.

if i was ed mccauley, i'd just walk around in public with my cock in my hand, too. $h!t, as recently as last saturday, i was walking around in public with my cock in my hand.

well at least he didnt ask you to "give him a hand".

ESPN did a little feature on Ben McLemore and they went back to the home where he grew up. To say this kid grew up in tough circumstances would be an understatement. The house was a shack and there were times when they literally were looking for their next meal. Home life was an absolute mess, he has a brother and a bunch of classmates in jail. His high school closed down following his junior season. I have to chuckle about some of the harsh character judgments made about McLemore in this thread. I think it is fair to say none of us on this board were born into the world that McLemore faced.

I didn't previously have much of an opinion one way or the other about him, but now I am rooting for the kid. I don't get the hate. Yes he was blessed with God given ability, but considering where he has come from, it is impressive that he has made it this far and is on the verge of being a top 5 pick. He easily could have gone down a different path. He had very little guidance growing up.

What about Okafor? They owe him roughly $14 million for next year as well as the additional years to Nene ($13 mill a year thru 2016). Therefore, they are already committed to a lot of money to two big men. I don't think they have to take Noel at that spot if he drops there. But I could be wrong...

Yea. I guess I just hate broken players clearly on the downside of their career. The Wiz front office however loves them (see Rashard Lewis fiasco). I am starting to think that all of this discussion that espn is drumming up is just to get the ratings push. Espn loves to talk about Len going #1 overall and then that would really give the draft some drama tonight. But I predict the draft goes just like everyone thought it would 3 weeks ago.

1. Noel

2. McLemore

3. Porter.

Otto doesnt get me excited.

ESPN did a little feature on Ben McLemore and they went back to the home where he grew up. To say this kid grew up in tough circumstances would be an understatement. The house was a shack and there were times when they literally were looking for their next meal. Home life was an absolute mess, he has a brother and a bunch of classmates in jail. His high school closed down following his junior season. I have to chuckle about some of the harsh character judgments made about McLemore in this thread. I think it is fair to say none of us on this board were born into the world that McLemore faced.

I didn't previously have much of an opinion one way or the other about him, but now I am rooting for the kid. I don't get the hate. Yes he was blessed with God given ability, but considering where he has come from, it is impressive that he has made it this far and is on the verge of being a top 5 pick. He easily could have gone down a different path. He had very little guidance growing up.

Yup. That was a great video.

For those who claim McLemore is "lazy," the ESPN article theorizes that he's being held out of workouts due to a power struggle between agents/advisors.

He may be influenced by the wrong people, but all indications are the kid worked his ass off (at least on the court) to get his family out of a bad situation.

Do you think the ESPN article captured "everything" on McLemore?

I doubt it. They wrote the standard foo-foo "poverty to the pros" hardship stuff that you see from time to time. Heartwarming.

He might make it, sure, but he is a huge gamble to take early. I bet someone takes him in the first 5-8 picks, anyway; "good luck".

It was a good piece. I played at Wellston a few times in highschool and it was about as intimidating a place to travel to as can be imagined. Burned out buildings were nearby and the gym was tiny and packed.

I'm definitely rooting for him.

Do you think the ESPN article captured "everything" on McLemore?

I doubt it. They wrote the standard foo-foo "poverty to the pros" hardship stuff that you see from time to time. Heartwarming.

He might make it, sure, but he is a huge gamble to take early. I bet someone takes him in the first 5-8 picks, anyway; "good luck".

What are you implying? Just curious. You seem to know something.