Time to clean up the posts

So here you openly admit that you track and categorize poster's politics.

Roy is correct on this matter. I get scrutinized on all posts by the 10 or so obvious foo-foo left wingers on this board.

Well, I don't know, it's not really that difficult to know where you stand politically. You make it VERY clear. So you, a fine conservative and a true patriot, have tangled MANY times with roy regarding basketball, correct?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do people on this board take issue with you primarily because of your political views or because of your basketball views?

Ace, i have no problems with people disagreeing with me. i do have a problem with the extent you and a few others go to extreme the "counter point". your attacks go far beyond, "oh you just dont like rickma".

you go out of your way to make it personal to the point that it has to be more than disagreeing with my billiken points. i am not asking for any sympathy, i only bring up my thoughts because it seemed obvious to me a lot of the vitriol was excessive and carried on from topic to topic many times you would even start points that seemed directed at ridiculing me when that particular thread hadnt even went in that direction.

so i have often felt your arrows were meant as a shot at our obviously far differed political thoughts. thus, i thought it was a good example of why the off topic board was bad for the overall communication relationships of billikens.com. no other reason. again, i am not asking for any sympathy. just pointing out what i thought to be obvious.

billiken rich and i have been on opposite sides of the rickma debate, same with alumni fan, yet they both agree with me as to the level of discourse.

Again, one guy starts a thread, wants to clean up a college basketball internet board. Another thinks cleaning this up will save his daughter (hilarious).

I agree some of the language and pictures cross the line at bit, but mostly it is typical banter among men.

Did you play high school varsity sports? Hate to tell you, the coach and the whole team used foul language. Talked about girls. Yep. Ever worked a construction job? Been in the service? Where the hell have you been, I guess is the question. Etc. This is a man's board.

We are talkin' about college hoops.

If you do not like it, close your account. This board is fine, the original poster presents an impractical position on this matter.

Again, one guy starts a thread, wants to clean up a college basketball internet board. Another thinks cleaning this up will save his daughter (hilarious).

I agree some of the language and pictures cross the line at bit, but mostly it is typical banter among men.

Did you play high school varsity sports? Hate to tell you, the coach and the whole team used foul language. Talked about girls. Yep. Ever worked a construction job? Been in the service? Where the hell have you been, I guess is the question. Etc. This is a man's board.

We are talkin' about college hoops.

If you do not like it, close your account. This board is fine, the original poster presents an impractical position on this matter.

You are a moron and not a very funny one at that.

To be honest, I don't think anyone takes issue with Roy more than you do. You seem to try to hammer at him any chance you get. Many of us have had disagreements with Roy, and have gotten into lengthy discussions/arguments with him, but I don't think anyone constantly starts arguments with him like you do. You seem to always try to egg him on. That is just my observation.

Let's take a look at roy's comment that I took issue with - "i am convinced a lot of the slaps i take yet today, are because of lingering feelings about my political beliefs as much as whatever subject i am posting about."

So you really think roy is getting "slaps" because of his political views and not because of some of his extreme views about RM? I'm sure roy falsely puts me in that category, but who else does he feel does that to him?

The politics thing is a cop out. It's rarely discussed here. His views on Sodie and then RM is what frustrates people. If he can't see that, he is oblivious.

I figure +1 comes from Will Call usage. When holding tickets for a party of two it is in cardholder or account of first ticket and second or more is +1, 2, ect. so if you go with friend who picks up tickets you are with him as +1. So if you agree with a post +1 means you are with him.

Is there a material difference between "I'm with you," and "I agree"?

Let's take a look at roy's comment that I took issue with - "i am convinced a lot of the slaps i take yet today, are because of lingering feelings about my political beliefs as much as whatever subject i am posting about."

So you really think roy is getting "slaps" because of his political views and not because of some of his extreme views about RM? I'm sure roy falsely puts me in that category, but who else does he feel does that to him?

The politics thing is a cop out. It's rarely discussed here. His views on Sodie and then RM is what frustrates people. If he can't see that, he is oblivious.

I think he is getting "slaps" from you, at very least. You seem to remember things and "slap" people for them for years.

Is there a material difference between "I'm with you," and "I agree"?

I think he is getting "slaps" from you, at very least. You seem to remember things and "slap" people for them for years.

Yeah, and I know why you don't like... because I was so mean to the poor misunderstood Mizzou trolls. haha!

Yeah, and I know why you don't like... because I was so mean to the poor misunderstood Mizzou trolls. haha!

All I'm saying -- and other people also are pointing this out -- is that you seem to hold grudges and take shots at people for a long time, even deviating off the current topic to do so.

Roy has gotten into a lot of arguments with other posters on this board in regards to his views on RM. That is a fair and valid observation. I am sure he is willing to admit that his views on Majerus are not shared by the large majority of those on this board. He has gotten into many, many heated discussions about Majerus with many others on this board.

But, here is the catch...he seems to be able to still have other, non-Majerus related discussions with those same people that disagree with his Majerus and Sodie views. And able to discuss other subject with them in a civil tone. You mentioned slu72, skip and MB as people that share certain political beliefs with Roy but have gotten into heated discussions with him due to his RM views. And this is true. But he has also been able to have many other discussions with these same people without harsh feelings rising up, where they can come to agreement and have a healthy discourse.

This is not true with you, ACE. It is apparent that you have issues with Roy that you aren't able to let go. You tend to try to bring up RM and BS with Roy, even when the discussion doesn't have anything to do with that. You are always looking to egg him on, frustrate him and get into an argument. It almost seems like the sole purpose is just to remind people that he was wrong on BS and RM, as a way of making anything Roy says seem illegitimate. At least that is how I see it, because I only see you trolling Roy for an emotional reaction, not to ever actually engage him in any real discussion.

Yes, many people have issues with Roy's views on BS and RM, and it can be frustrating. But, it seems to me like you have issues with Roy as a person. And you should at least own up to that.

Roy has gotten into a lot of arguments with other posters on this board in regards to his views on RM. That is a fair and valid observation. I am sure he is willing to admit that his views on Majerus are not shared by the large majority of those on this board. He has gotten into many, many heated discussions about Majerus with many others on this board.

But, here is the catch...he seems to be able to still have other, non-Majerus related discussions with those same people that disagree with his Majerus and Sodie views. And able to discuss other subject with them in a civil tone. You mentioned slu72, skip and MB as people that share certain political beliefs with Roy but have gotten into heated discussions with him due to his RM views. And this is true. But he has also been able to have many other discussions with these same people without harsh feelings rising up, where they can come to agreement and have a healthy discourse.

This is not true with you, ACE. It is apparent that you have issues with Roy that you aren't able to let go. You tend to try to bring up RM and BS with Roy, even when the discussion doesn't have anything to do with that. You are always looking to egg him on, frustrate him and get into an argument. It almost seems like the sole purpose is just to remind people that he was wrong on BS and RM, as a way of making anything Roy says seem illegitimate. At least that is how I see it, because I only see you trolling Roy for an emotional reaction, not to ever actually engage him in any real discussion.

Yes, many people have issues with Roy's views on BS and RM, and it can be frustrating. But, it seems to me like you have issues with Roy as a person. And you should at least own up to that.

Don't put me in with those right wing conservatives. I believe I am the only one who seriously believes it would be a good thing for the USA if we took ALL current politicians, elected officials, and members of the IRS, removed them from their jobs and locked them up all together until they die. (It'd also be ok if we sped the process up a bit)

I just want to make sure that if you are holding my political views against me, it's for the right reason.

Yes, same here, some foo foo libs on this board and on this thread have labeled me as right wing when in fact I have diverse political positions. (Example: no way we should be in "those two countries" 10+ yrs... bomb their asses and get TF out).

But yes more of my political views are to the right than left... but the Chris Matthews - Chris Hayes - Alan Colmes* types on this board jump all over me every time.

220px-AlanColmesJul2009.jpg

Yes, same here, some foo foo libs on this board and on this thread have labeled me as right wing when in fact I have diverse political positions. (Example: no way we should be in "those two countries" 10+ yrs... bomb their asses and get TF out).

But yes more of my political views are to the right than left... but the Chris Matthews - Chris Hayes - Alan Colmes* types on this board jump all over me every time.

220px-AlanColmesJul2009.jpg

Maybe you should try to not intentionally misrepresent what people write. You do that constantly either to make a point or to try to be funny. However, maybe you just do not read well; if that is the case then I apologize. If not, you deserve the responses you receive regardless of your political views.

We expect high standards from our coach, players and everyone associated with the Saint Louis University Billikens. I also believe that we should have high standards on our team Message Board.

I love this board and for many, many years, it was the only source of information on our Billikens, especially for a guy like me who lives out of town. I have noticed that over the last couple of years and especially this past year, the language has become very trashy. It is almost impossible to find a page, let alone a thread that is not laced with foul language. The language filters are a joke.

We should also keep in mind, that there are no age requirements for this board, so there are young Billiken fans reading this board. I would first like to ask posters to use some class and clean up their posts. The foul language doesn’t add anything to the content of a post. If this fails, I would like to ask the moderators to remove posts or posters who are working around the intended language filter.

So I respectfully challenge the members and moderators of this board to raise the standards and reflect the same class that we expect of our Billikens.

When the "high standards" we expect from our coach and players includes an expectation that they not use foul language, I'll agree with the OP. Until then, advocating censorship on the internet is a non-starter. Regardless of how I feel about cussing, politics or religion, I also recognize the rights of others to express themselves in their own manner.

So just let your fellow Billiken alumni hash things out as they will---foul language and all. I'm quite sure our forum and fandom will not suffer.

When the "high standards" we expect from our coach and players includes an expectation that they not use foul language, I'll agree with the OP. Until then, advocating censorship on the internet is a non-starter. Regardless of how I feel about cussing, politics or religion, I also recognize the rights of others to express themselves in their own manner.

So just let your fellow Billiken alumni hash things out as they will---foul language and all. I'm quite sure our forum and fandom will not suffer.

HUGE difference between censorship and acting respectfully at the request of your peers.

HUGE difference between censorship and acting respectfully at the request of your peers.

Who gets to define "respect"? I can be plenty disrespectful without using foul language. And I can offer a great deal of respect through use of colorful words. I understand the basic premise of being respectful, and I imagine most of us are on board with the concept, but to legislate the manner in which I am allowed to express myself is silly. That IS censorship.

If I choose to post a picture of a fully clothed (more or less) Oregon cheerleader, damnit, I'm going to do it.

Who gets to define "respect"? I can be plenty disrespectful without using foul language. And I can offer a great deal of respect through use of colorful words. I understand the basic premise of being respectful, and I imagine most of us are on board with the concept, but to legislate the manner in which I am allowed to express myself is silly. That IS censorship.

If I choose to post a picture of a fully clothed (more or less) Oregon cheerleader, damnit, I'm going to do it.

No one is "legislating" anything. It's a request - that's all. Nothing to do with censorship...at all.

If you don't think enough of others who read the board to decide on your own to participate in toning down the language, pictures, etc. then that is your decision.

How old are you?!?

hopefully old enough to get a boner (but not too old to get one) or else this picture would not be worth much to him.