Breaking news: Biondi to be replaced by...Dumbledore!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

brianstl, on 20 May 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

Shouldn't we be more concerned if the guy can actually teach, instead of worrying about his outfit?

seriously brian? did you type that with a straight face? you think someone dressing like the wackjob described can effectively teach like that? students are going to take him serious let alone not be distracted?

From what I remembered, nice guy(?) and pretty good teacher. Gave me an A so I can't complain.

I had him this past Fall. Like I said, I had Calc before, so it was pretty easy for me, but a lot of people really struggled. It was a bit of a distraction being able to see what color bra he was wearing. He seemed to get really frustrated when people asked questions. He also smelled bad... I agree he was nice enough though.

seriously brian? did you type that with a straight face? you think someone dressing like the wackjob described can effectively teach like that? students are going to take him serious let alone not be distracted?

How long does it take to get past the fact that the guy's wearing a bra? A week of classes?

Box and Won, on 20 May 2013 - 1:32 PM, said:

How long does it take to get past the fact that the guy's wearing a bra? A week of classes?

never

billiken_roy, on 20 May 2013 - 1:43 PM, said:

never.

think of it this way box, ever get used to lady gaga? how about carrottop? they are as distracting and annoying today as the first day you saw them.

You haven't spent time on a college campus lately or spent much time around high school or college kids. Somebody cross dressing is on the low end of strange spectrum.

Now the bad body odor thing could be a problem.

never.

think of it this way box, ever get used to lady gaga? how about carrottop? they are as distracting and annoying today as the first day you saw them.

On the first day of class, it would be very strange. Very. You'd likely tell all your friends about your weirdo professor.

Second day of class, you go in wondering if his clothing choices on the first day were just some sort of fluke. Turns out, no.

Third day of class, it starts to sink in - this guy is going to wear a bra to every class. Odd, but I don't really see how it would be hugely distracting after that.

Box and Won, on 20 May 2013 - 1:58 PM, said:

On the first day of class, it would be very strange. Very. You'd likely tell all your friends about your weirdo professor.

Second day of class, you go in wondering if his clothing choices on the first day were just some sort of fluke. Turns out, no.

Third day of class, it starts to sink in - this guy is going to wear a bra to every class. Odd, but I don't really see how it would be hugely distracting after that.

i guess i never outgrew my small townee self.

Shouldn't we be more concerned if the guy can actually teach, instead of worrying about his outfit?

Not when he is supposed to create an environment that is conducive to learning. I don't want poorly performing teachers who dress perfectly either, but I don't want someone coming into a classroom who, for whatever reason, is dressing in a manner that is likely to be a distraction. After having taught for nine years as an adjunct I learned that the environment is critically important. Distractions, even ones like this, are not helpful.

never.

And that ability to consistently distract is part of why they are successful, in other words, the distraction is effective, which is NOT the way you want a professor to be successful.

You seem to have the professor gig all figured out. All that adjunct teaching you bring up all the time has served you well.

I have been teaching college classes for 18 years. I am of the opinion that there a lot of ways to be an effective teacher and I haven't even for a moment considered sartorial decisions amongst them. I certainly wouldn't be quick to assume anything about a professor's effectiveness based on his or her choice of underpants.

I better get to the mall.

U

And that ability to consistently distract is part of why they are successful, in other words, the distraction is effective, which is NOT the way you want a professor to be successful.

Yeah, nothing to be ashamed of, Roy and AF. Some guys just need a little extra support.

kramer-shows-frank-bro.jpg

By the way, in terms of "distraction" - we've had two of his former students post here that it was weird but didn't distract them from getting good grades in his class.

You seem to have the professor gig all figured out. All that adjunct teaching you bring up all the time has served you well.

I have been teaching college classes for 18 years. I am of the opinion that there a lot of ways to be an effective teacher and I haven't even for a moment considered sartorial decisions amongst them. I certainly wouldn't be quick to assume anything about a professor's effectiveness based on his or her choice of underpants.

I better get to the mall.

U

Sorry Friar, I apologize for putting in all that time over 9 years to give back (as you, I am sure, are aware, few adjuncts teach business classes for the, ahem, "compensation"); clearly a big mistake on my part, especially because I was working 50+ hours a week at my regular job. I guess that unless one has at least 18 years of experience in a particular occupation, you should not express an opinion.

Now, about your expressions of opinion regarding the University President's job that you have never done....

I had him this past Fall. Like I said, I had Calc before, so it was pretty easy for me, but a lot of people really struggled. It was a bit of a distraction being able to see what color bra he was wearing. He seemed to get really frustrated when people asked questions. He also smelled bad... I agree he was nice enough though.

I would agree with this. I totally forgot about this guy, so thanks for bringing back the memories. I had him in like 2000 for one of my calculus courses. Could never take the guy seriously....he was the butt of most jokes (people were much less PC back then...can't believe how much has changed in 13 years)...and i was kinda scared to be alone in his office with him. But, I ended up passing, so I guess I can't complain much. I would definitely say that his shtick took away from his ability to be taken seriously by the class.

I had him for Calc 3 and was never as offended by his teaching ability as I was by the smell. All of that could have been forgiven but as a math major he ended up being my academic advisor. I may not have started that experience with much faith in him but it was lucky that I didn't. After I got his signature I went to other professors,and he was often completely wrong in that capacity.

As someone else mentioned earlier he made sure his voice was heard this past year. I remember seeing his name on the faculty report that showed the average cost of attendance, endowment, faculty pay, ranking etc vs other schools.

Yikes, a Lutheran preacher at your own school. H*ll has frozen over. Does the new Pope know about this?

First an asst coach, now a Lutheran clergyman in the Theology dept. You may need to start calling your school Catholic Concordia.

Also Dr. Asen has a unique sense of humor that resembles other Lutheran teachers and clergy. As do Catholic teachers and clergy.

In 1967 our theology department had a woman, I believe she was Southern Baptist who taught Old Testament and according to students and fellow teachers she was well respected and prospered as the Jesuits were not that ardent when teaching this class

The theology department has several other professors who are not Catholic as well... SLU taught how to think, not what to think. And learning from different perspectives helps to foster this learning. I wish that some of the religious schools in the Dayton area (Cedarville...) were able to recognize the value in this as well.

SLU taught how to think, not what to think.

+1

I was talking to my dad this weekend and we were ripping on people that keep going to school just because they can't do anything else. He said he was thinking about a PhD in Contemplation with his thesis addressing the Theory of Thought. I lost it.