OT: Rams Draft

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tavon Austin and Alec Ogletree in Round 1

Pretty solid draft so far, though I'd have rather seen us take a safety with that second pick. What do you guys think? Was the trade for Austin worth it? What should we look for with our next few picks?

Since we traded down, a safety would not have been a good choice at 30. At 22, that's a different story, but we got Ogletree and a couple picks out of it, so I'm not complaining.

I'm glad we traded up to get Austin. Had we held onto the 16th pick with the hopes of getting Vaccaro, he would have been gone anyway - he went 15th. Ogletree is a real nice pickup. It's unfortunate that we don't have a second round pick, but we should still be able to get some value with our two third-rounders.

Since we traded down, a safety would not have been a good choice at 30. At 22, that's a different story, but we got Ogletree and a couple picks out of it, so I'm not complaining.

Huh? Wasn't every safety available at 22 still available at 30?

The trade down was fantastic as I don't think any player the Rams may have wanted went between 22-30 so you basically had the same choices, you gained a pick, and the choice you made cost you less money

I'm glad we traded up to get Austin. Had we held onto the 16th pick with the hopes of getting Vaccaro, he would have been gone anyway - he went 15th. Ogletree is a real nice pickup. It's unfortunate that we don't have a second round pick, but we should still be able to get some value with our two third-rounders.

I love what the Rams did in the first round. They absolutely needed a playmaker and it was clear Austin wasn't going to be there at 16. DeAndre Hopkins seems similar to Quick and doesn't provide the "electric" element that Austin can bring to a game. To get Ogletree at 30, instead of 22, was solid. I like the two third-rounders and they should be able to get a quality running back or safety at either of those spots.

I love what the Rams did in the first round. They absolutely needed a playmaker and it was clear Austin wasn't going to be there at 16. DeAndre Hopkins seems similar to Quick and doesn't provide the "electric" element that Austin can bring to a game. To get Ogletree at 30, instead of 22, was sold. I like the two third-rounders and they should be able to get a quality running back or safety at either of those spots.

I'm also really glad that the stuck with Ogletree at 30 and didn't decide on Teo. The whole time I was waiting for them to make the pick, I had my fingers crossed and chanting 'No Teo. No Teo. No Teo...'

Huh? Wasn't every safety available at 22 still available at 30?

The trade down was fantastic as I don't think any player the Rams may have wanted went between 22-30 so you basically had the same choices, you gained a pick, and the choice you made cost you less money

Yeah you're right. I was thinking Reid went later than 18 for some reason. I just love the aggressiveness and last year it paid off with Janoris and others. Fisher and Snead are building something nice around here.

I love what the Rams did in the first round. They absolutely needed a playmaker and it was clear Austin wasn't going to be there at 16. DeAndre Hopkins seems similar to Quick and doesn't provide the "electric" element that Austin can bring to a game. To get Ogletree at 30, instead of 22, was solid. I like the two third-rounders and they should be able to get a quality running back or safety at either of those spots.

What's especially exciting is that Austin's presence should create more opportunities for Givens and Quick (provided Quick has spent the offseason learning the playbook). I'm really interested to see what Cook can do, too - sounds like he may have been underutilized at Tennessee last year.

Now we'll just have to hold our breath and see who's available at RB in the third round. I haven't given up on Pead, but I'm not exactly sold on him either.

I'm leery of Austin but I trust Jeff F 100%, he certainly has a better handle on the guys than me or any of us Sunday GM's. Didn't it come out that Austin scored in the single digits on the Wunderlic? Seriously? I'd bet 50% of the 7th graders in the US could score in the 20's.

I'd have preferred either Elam or the small school safety with the 30th at the time, but listening to people talk about Ogeltree has probably changed my mind. He's been a bit of a punk ass, so there is some risk, but Fisher has been able to handle these guys pretty well and he seems to be one of those athletes that will just make plays all over the field

Blunder.

5'7" 174... on artificial turf... he will provide big plays and excitment but be hurt a lot. How many smurfs like this make it these days for 4-5-6 yrs? Welker did OK. Amendola was out 1/2 the time last 2 yrs. DeShaun Jackson is always banged up. Better to get a full sized man.

I like the Ogletree pick a lot, though he is a potential off the field problem type. You get too many of those you eventually pay the price. But an explosive play making LB is much more valuable than safeties like Elam or Cyprien that were available.

Giving up a # 2 hurts a lot. It is much better to have picks 16 & 22 & 46 than 8 & 30 and nothing. Yes we got an extra # 3 but value drops a lot after 2nd round. You look at 3 potential starters instead of 2.

I think Fisher's eye for talent and free agent signings and drafts thus far are top notch, I give him an "A". So I have to trust him and think that way (like with RM).

But Austin scares me... VERY undersized, will he play most games for 4-5 yrs or be "out" or banged up / slowed down a lot? To boot, a "7" on the intelligence test.

Blunder.

5'7" 174... on artificial turf... he will provide big plays and excitment but be hurt a lot. How many smurfs like this make it these days for 4-5-6 yrs? Welker did OK. Amendola was out 1/2 the time last 2 yrs. DeShaun Jackson is always banged up. Better to get a full sized man.

I like the Ogletree pick a lot, though he is a potential off the field problem type. You get too many of those you eventually pay the price. But an explosive play making LB is much more valuable than safeties like Elam or Cyprien that were available.

Giving up a # 2 hurts a lot. It is much better to have picks 16 & 22 & 46 than 8 & 30 and nothing. Yes we got an extra # 3 but value drops a lot after 2nd round. You look at 3 potential starters instead of 2.

I think Fisher's eye for talent and free agent signings and drafts thus far are top notch, I give him an "A". So I have to trust him and think that way (like with RM).

But Austin scares me... VERY undersized, will he play most games for 4-5 yrs or be "out" or banged up / slowed down a lot? To boot, a "7" on the intelligence test.

One thing I heard about Austin that gives me a bit of relief regarding him is he has not missed a game for 8 years throughout his HS and college careers. There is no doubt he's going to be exciting in the open field. I'll be pissed though if he doesn't play and it's because he can't learn the playbook ala Marty Gilyard

Blunder.

I understand the concerns, but Jackson has been fairly durable up until this past season, as has Percy Harvin, the player to whom Austin seems to be drawing the closest comparisons.

I'm also really glad that the stuck with Ogletree at 30 and didn't decide on Teo. The whole time I was waiting for them to make the pick, I had my fingers crossed and chanting 'No Teo. No Teo. No Teo...'

I'd have rather gotten TEO. He has a HOT girlfriend who would probably come to our games.

Blunder.

MB, the NFL is a speed game today and the longevity of players is not what it used to be. Austin is a play maker and fits what the Rams are looking for.

Giving up a second rounder doesn't hurt as much as you think and not at all since you got two first rounders. The success rate up through the middle of the fourth round from this point forward is not that much different. Of course, a lot of that depends on the position drafted and who the people are drafting the players. I trust JF in these decisions.

MB, the NFL is a speed game today and the longevity of players is not what it used to be. Austin is a play maker and fits what the Rams are looking for.

Giving up a second rounder doesn't hurt as much as you think and not at all since you got two first rounders. The success rate up through the middle of the fourth round from this point forward is not that much different. Of course, a lot of that depends on the position drafted and who the people are drafting the players. I trust JF in these decisions.

My thoughts exactly.

I hope some of you are correct and Austin is durable and plays, say, 14 full games or more for 4-5 yrs for us.But I would bet against it. And again, 7 on the Wonderlic (engineers avg 30, welders 17, Vince Young 6).

We will all feel better if they trade up for a # 2 pick today and get a decent safety or OG.

I hope some of you are correct and Austin is durable and plays, say, 14 full games or more for 4-5 yrs for us.But I would bet against it. And again, 7 on the Wonderlic (engineers avg 30, welders 17, Vince Young 6).

We will all feel better if they trade up for a # 2 pick today and get a decent safety or OG.

At sub 4.3 speed I think they can tell him in the huddle "hey run fast to the goal post and I will throw it to you." And the majority of the time that will be good enough even with his "7".

The truth is the rams have lacked a "home run hitter" since the days of Bruce and Holt. This guy was id'd the best playmaker in the draft. Sounds like the right player to me.

I went 2 for 2 on my prediction, and now I will say we will get a safety next, then maybe a Oline man, BUT if lattimore is still available after 4 get him. its a gamble bc of his knee, BUT he could also be a hell of a RB.