Semi OT - STL All Metro 50th Anniversary Team

thetorch

The Post got some of their HS basketball writers, including Nate Latsch along with Earl and Frank to vote on the best players in STL Metro history.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/years-the-all-time-all-metro-basketball-team/collection_b5598982-9980-11e2-96ee-0019bb30f31a.html

1st Team

Beal

Hughes

Jo Jo White

Stipo

Laphonso Ellis

2nd Team

David Lee

Darius Miles

Harry Rogers

Ryan Robertson

Chris Carrawell

3rd Team

Kevin Stallings

Johnny Parker

AB

Tom Parker

David Thirdkill

how can latsch vote in something like that? he isnt from st louis. he probably didnt see anuy of them except beal play.

i would have had miles first team. he is the best high school player i ever saw play. just an incredible talent.

I don't get why what you did after high school should make a difference. All Metro is based on HS performance. I would have included Cunzo Martin (a big time player in big games in high school) and Upchurch (I guess hurt by post high school injuries) some where on these teams. Richard Keene was pretty damn good too.

If it's truly in 'STL Metro History', you can't leave Bill Bradley off of there. A basketball HOFer from Crystal City.

+1

I'd rather see this based on HS success rather than college and pro career.

Lee doesn't belong. No titles, was an underachiever at best at Florida. Is a system player in NBA and will never win anything as long as he's a starter. Most overrated player in the NBA.

Robertson should be on the 1st team. He held national records coming out of HS. He played in the early days of white flight in St. Charles. His team was him, his brother, and 3 guys who spent most of their free time riding tractors. even today St. Charles teams are a step below STL metro teams, 20 years ago it was like playing jr high teams.

I don't know how Carrawell gets on the team either. He was very good in HS, but exposed as a high major role player in college and didn't do much professionally. Thats what happens when your 2 big men on your team become NBA veterans without trying. If anything I'd put White or Woods ahead of Carrawell. They were more dominant.

AB deserves the honor, probably should be second team. Those Vashon teams were the most talented HS squads STL will ever see. Bonner was always the best player, even if he didn't score 30 points a game. He could have. When you got 8 or 9 deep with D-1 level players on a HS team you don't have to.

I'd rather see this based on HS success rather than college and pro career.

Lee doesn't belong. No titles, was an underachiever at best at Florida. Is a system player in NBA and will never win anything as long as he's a starter. Most overrated player in the NBA.

Robertson should be on the 1st team. He held national records coming out of HS. He played in the early days of white flight in St. Charles. His team was him, his brother, and 3 guys who spent most of their free time riding tractors. even today St. Charles teams are a step below STL metro teams, 20 years ago it was like playing jr high teams.

I don't know how Carrawell gets on the team either. He was very good in HS, but exposed as a high major role player in college and didn't do much professionally. Thats what happens when your 2 big men on your team become NBA veterans without trying. If anything I'd put White or Woods ahead of Carrawell. They were more dominant.

AB deserves the honor, probably should be second team. Those Vashon teams were the most talented HS squads STL will ever see. Bonner was always the best player, even if he didn't score 30 points a game. He could have. When you got 8 or 9 deep with D-1 level players on a HS team you don't have to.

No. AB was a huge force in high school. I watched him play. He anchored the middle, was dominant and could turn the momentum with a thunderous dunk. Still, he was really raw... and now way could he score 30 points a game in high school. Frankly, Floyd Irons just played him but it was Grawer that taught him basketball.

Overrated? I mean everyone is entitled to an opinion but come on. Averaging 18 and 11? He's arguably the most productive NBA player to ever come out of STL. Whether he's a system player or not, you can't argue with numbers. You just can't.

Overrated? I mean everyone is entitled to an opinion but come on. Averaging 18 and 11? He's arguably the most productive NBA player to ever come out of STL. Whether he's a system player or not, you can't argue with numbers. You just can't.

Agreed. I was scratching my head at that when I read it. The guy has been a double-double machine for the past 7 seasons, and is a big reason why Golden State is in playoff contention this season. Almost seems like torch has something personal against the guy. Even if you think he is overrated as a pro (he isn't) or underachieved at Florida (he didn't), he was still a McDonald's All-American in high school and was listed on a bunch of First-Team All-American lists by numerous publications. He belongs on the list.

I didn't come up with this idea, Lee is best as a fantasy basketball player but not a real one. He can't guard an office chair and he is a stats *****. He's played on mostly dysfunctional teams and is known around the league as a me first player. He's comparable to early Zach Randolph or Shareef Abdur Rahim. Very good offensive players with inflated offensive stats because they play on bad teams. Lee is the type of guy who elbows his own teammate out of the way to get a rebound off a missed free throw with 4 seconds left in a 20 point game.

He never really dominated in HS. Never sniffed a title, unlike most everyone else on the list. He was highly rated, a top 10 player. Languished at Florida, what top 10 player in his class never averages over 14 points a game? Florida consistently underachieved while he was there. He went from big time recruit to barely making an NBA roster. Then he developed this lunchpail persona on a horrible Knicks team and has made millions off it. Good for him, local boy does good. Doesn't make him a great player. Personally AB is more deserving on the 2nd team than he is.

I didn't come up with this idea, Lee is best as a fantasy basketball player but not a real one. He can't guard an office chair and he is a stats *****. He's played on mostly dysfunctional teams and is known around the league as a me first player. He's comparable to early Zach Randolph or Shareef Abdur Rahim. Very good offensive players with inflated offensive stats because they play on bad teams. Lee is the type of guy who elbows his own teammate out of the way to get a rebound off a missed free throw with 4 seconds left in a 20 point game.

He never really dominated in HS. Never sniffed a title, unlike most everyone else on the list. He was highly rated, a top 10 player. Languished at Florida, what top 10 player in his class never averages over 14 points a game? Florida consistently underachieved while he was there. He went from big time recruit to barely making an NBA roster. Then he developed this lunchpail persona on a horrible Knicks team and has made millions off it. Good for him, local boy does good. Doesn't make him a great player. Personally AB is more deserving on the 2nd team than he is.

Disagree on Lee. He was not the problem on those Florida teams. Some of his were teams actually quite good. I remember they had a point guard Anthony Roberson, who much preferred shooting to passing and a small forward Matt Walsh, who fearlessly chucked the ball and wasnt interested in guarding anyone. They both left early chasing big NBA money that wasnt there. Lee worked his butt off most nights.

torch, i normally like your thinking but i sure am not following the distaste for david lee. must be more to the story then you are letting on. because cant remember you being more off from my opinion than this one is.

-I think it is a neat feature but the evaluation is of All Metro High School players, I don't see why what the players did after their last high school game is part of the evaluation of the Best of the Best

-this feature is looking at a 50 yer period, my how the game has changed in that time

brian, i am talking about lee's high school career. isnt that what this is supposed to be based on?

brian, i am talking about lee's high school career. isnt that what this is supposed to be based on?

The wasn't just based on high school. Lee belongs on the team either way, but he does have a rep as a pro that isn't great. Bill Simmons created the David Lee all-star team for no defense stat stuffers.

Bonner would't be on the three teams if it was based on just high school. Upchurch and Martin should at least be on the second team based on what they did in high school only.