Atlantic 10 and George Mason Making Announcements Tomorrow

Alumni,

It blows my mind why you keep saying you would prefer to be in the old a-10 with teams like gw, Fordham, Rhode Island, st Bon etc instead of the new big east with teams like Marquette g-town, St. John's, etc.

The teams we like (butler, Xavier and Dayton) will likely be the same in either.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As somebody that is partially in the media you may want to get facts...

If you want to post as a casual fan with no media implications maybe use an alias.

Speak as both. Not authorized to use the facts, which aren't much greater than what's been said publicly. I am not suggesting SLU isn't trying. Indeed I'd agree they are very much active and not sitting on their hands, as some have suggested. I am simply stating, based off what I know and what I perceive to be, that this is as serious as a situation as can get. If SLU is not allowed entry into the BE, because of circumstances outside their control, so be it. But if it's found otherwise, there must be consequences.

Since I've relegated my position as beat writer for the team and publish only my opinions, I feel I am free to say this. And, I remain optimistic. Two major decisions await Chris May and Larry Biondi. I have confidence in both men to make wise and appropriate decisions. I may be talking in circles, but, they must be held responsible for their decisions by the fan base and media. You can't overstate how much of a make-or-break 2013 is for Saint Louis U.

Alumni,

It blows my mind why you keep saying you would prefer to be in the old a-10 with teams like gw, Fordham, Rhode Island, st Bon etc instead of the new big east with teams like Marquette g-town, St. John's, etc.

The teams we like (butler, Xavier and Dayton) will likely be the same in either.

Well, perhaps I wasn't clear. If the A10 did not have Butler or X leaving, I would prefer to stay in the A10 - absolutely. Since they have left, yes, I want to be in the NBE. Seton Hall, St. Johns, Depaul, even Villanova just don't get me that excited. Butler, X, VCU, and yes, even SVU, do get me excited. We already have pretty good rivalries with all of these schools.

I get that there are some crap teams in the A10, but, quite frankly, some of those teams have had some decent runs in the past just like Seton Hall (or Seton Hill as a member of our local media recently called it), St. John's and Depaul.

If everything works out the way we want (i.e. we are in the NBE for 2014) great, but I definitely would not have been disappointed if NOTHING had changed and we had stayed in the A10.

We lost X, Butler, Temple, and Charlotte and are adding GMU.

Go back and check my posts I have been the biggest proponent of being in the A-10 and have laughed out loud at anyone who says we belong in the Valley, BUT at this point I would really appreciate someone telling me how this league is not becoming just an east coast version of the Missouri Valley.

Well, perhaps I wasn't clear. If the A10 did not have Butler or X leaving, I would prefer to stay in the A10 - absolutely. Since they have left, yes, I want to be in the NBE. Seton Hall, St. Johns, Depaul, even Villanova just don't get me that excited. Butler, X, VCU, and yes, even SVU, do get me excited. We already have pretty good rivalries with all of these schools.

I get that there are some crap teams in the A10, but, quite frankly, some of those teams have had some decent runs in the past just like Seton Hall (or Seton Hill as a member of our local media recently called it), St. John's and Depaul.

If everything works out the way we want (i.e. we are in the NBE for 2014) great, but I definitely would not have been disappointed if NOTHING had changed and we had stayed in the A10.

Even if the A10 remained intact, though, the NBE was always going to offer a payout in the multiples of what's offered by the A10. And we don't really have any rivalres with A10 schools - while the NBE offers rivalry potential in Marquette and Depaul. And the A10 can't compete with the NBE at the top - Georgetown and Marquette are just far bigger draws than Xavier and VCU.

The NBE would be huge for our program, and huge for the university. Getting left behind in the A10 wouldn't be the end of the world but, compared to the alternative, would put us in a far less desirable position. Hopefully May/Biondi can work their magic on this one.

Even if the A10 remained intact, though, the NBE was always going to offer a payout in the multiples of what's offered by the A10. And we don't really have any rivalres with A10 schools - while the NBE offers rivalry potential in Marquette and Depaul. And the A10 can't compete with the NBE at the top - Georgetown and Marquette are just far bigger draws than Xavier and VCU.

The NBE would be huge for our program, and huge for the university. Getting left behind in the A10 wouldn't be the end of the world but, compared to the alternative, would put us in a far less desirable position. Hopefully May/Biondi can work their magic on this one.

Putting aside the argument that longer term the financial dynamics may have changed given the A10's relative success, I agree with everything you say. I hope like hell we get in the NBE, but I am just frustrated that this whole thing happened because there is variability in outcomes and we are NOT a lock for the NBE.

Spitting in the dark, actually. It's my favorite thing to do.

Avis Meyer would have -canned you before you hit the Post button on this board.

Journalism, meet the shitter.

Shitter, meet journalism.

...and flush...

Avis Meyer would have ######-canned you before you hit the Post button on this board.

Journalism, meet the shitter.

Shitter, meet journalism.

...and flush...

Avis loves me actually. Tried to get me to run for editor-in-chief but school commitments kept me from doing it. I just stare at my many state and regional journalism awards instead. It's how I sleep at night.

Does anybody else think the fact that the A-10 is so gung-ho about adding teams makes it seem like they are confident that SLU is going to leave.

^sorry if already posted

Considering Butler and Xavier already left, I don't think it really means anything more than that.

Does anybody else think the fact that the A-10 is so gung-ho about adding teams makes it seem like they are confident that SLU is going to leave.

^sorry if already posted

Yes, since McGlade has stated before that 12 teams was ideal for them.

I am nervous about our chances going to the NBE.....I think Dayton and Richmond are serious threats to take the last 2 spots. I just don't see this new conference adding 2 more mid-west teams. I hope I am wrong. Richmond is a serious threat, they have the resources.

^sorry if already posted

UMass, SLU, Dayton, Richmond - someone is leaving. The A10 is putting contingency plans in place.