GDT: Selection Sunday

Pistol

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel good about round 1. Loe, Ellis pull their big men away from the basket and clear out for quick guards to take it to the hoop. Unless they run a 2-3 zone which they might but we should still be able to dribble drive, move the ball back and forth to find the open man for a shot.

I think OSU takes OU. OSU I don't know too much about.

NIT (aka the Sock Hop)

1 Kentucky plays at the 3,000 seat gym at 8 Robert Morris due to unavailability of Rupp Arena due to NCAA;

5 Charlotte at 4 Providence;

5 St. John's at 4 St. Joseph's;

Xavier fails to get an NIT bid.

Xavier (RPI 87) = CBI or CIT. ...

i'm actually pissed at this draw. duke the #2 team in the country, and louisville the #4 prior to championship week, and louisville the #1 overall seed. both in our bracket. and we play in the top half of the bracket at the farthest possible site for our first game. i guess indy for the next game is a consolation. i just think we should have been a 3 in a tough bracket or a 4 in an easy one. whatever, still have the billies picked to beat michigan at the end. GO BILLS.

i'm actually pissed at this draw. duke the #2 team in the country, and louisville the #4 prior to championship week, and louisville the #1 overall seed. both in our bracket. and we play in the top half of the bracket at the farthest possible site for our first game. i guess indy for the next game is a consolation. i just think we should have been a 3 in a tough bracket or a 4 in an easy one. whatever, still have the billies picked to beat michigan at the end. GO BILLS.

I was pissed too...at first. The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that we can beat anybody. More importantly, I know our players are convinced that they can beat anybody. I guarantee that they are looking forward to the chance to emerge from the toughest regional. WIN SIX MORE!

I was pissed too...at first. The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that we can beat anybody. More importantly, I know our players are convinced that they can beat anybody. I guarantee that they are looking forward to the chance to emerge from the toughest regional. WIN SIX MORE!

Agree. Let's do this right and leave no room for argument. If you're going to win it all, you've got to beat the big boys at some point. At least that's what NM State, OSU and Louisville are saying about SLU right now. Go Bills!

Agree with this as well. But it all comes down to one thing in my book...by the time you make it to the Sweet 16, you are playing a darn good team. We definitely have a tough road. I do feel that the West is weaker in general than the other brackets (and a wide open bracket), but Kansas, Georgetown, Florida or Indiana, Miami, Marquette would be a pretty tough road as well.

Midwest region is toughest. Bilas says it's not even close. Other ESPN talking heads say any of the Top 4 Midwest seeds could win it all. Midwest has most Top 50 wins this season. I mean, Oregon is a 12 seed in the Midwest for chrissakes.

VCU gets a favorable draw, a late night first round game. Lucky fuoks. Bottom line: SLU will earn everything it gets this postseason, and I'm scared if my team draws SLU at any point in this tourney.

Here is how I see it playing out.

Sweet 16 beat Pitino, just because.

Elite 8 beat Michigan State, revenge for last year.

Final Four beat New Mexico, because we've already done that before.

National Championship beat Georgetown for lobbying against us in the Big East talks.

Boom. Easy as that. See you at the parade.

NIT (aka the Sock Hop)

1 Kentucky plays at the 3,000 seat gym at 8 Robert Morris due to unavailability of Rupp Arena due to NCAA;

5 Charlotte at 4 Providence;

5 St. John's at 4 St. Joseph's;

Xavier fails to get an NIT bid.

Xavier (RPI 87) = CBI or CIT. ...

X reporter Shannon Russell of cincinnati.com blog is reporting X's season is over. X is not in the CBI; I have not yet seen CIT field.

X reporter quoting Coach Mack is reporting its season is over. X is not in the CBI; I have not yet seen CIT field.

Kinda strange, IMO. X didn't have a good season, especially by their standards, but they are a team that had gone to the previous 7 NCAA tournaments. You would have thought that just because of their pedigree, they would have been extended an NIT bid, or at the very least a CBI one. An RPI of 87 seems well within the NIT's range, and definitely in the CBI's.

Kinda strange, IMO. X didn't have a good season, especially by their standards, but they are a team that had gone to the previous 7 NCAA tournaments. You would have thought that just because of their pedigree, they would have been extended an NIT bid, or at the very least a CBI one. An RPI of 87 seems well within the NIT's range, and definitely in the CBI's.

Mack wants to focus on making youtube videos with his family immediately.

Actually RPI 87 was below the NIT cutoff, which was 83, given the whopping 10 automatic NIT bids. The NIT did reach below that cutoff line to take 5 teams, 4 of which had worse RPI's than X.

“@BannersParkway: XU director of BB admin @MarioMercurio: "We opted to respectfully decline CIT and CBI invitations..."”

And thus, the Xavier season ends.

Isn't it a pleasure not being in such a predicament?

Actually RPI 87 was below the NIT cutoff, which was 83, given the whopping 10 automatic NIT bids. The NIT did reach below that cutoff line to take 5 teams, 4 of which had worse RPI's than X.

@BannersParkway: XU director of BB admin @MarioMercurio: "We opted to respectfully decline CIT and CBI invitations..."

Ha! The CBI and CIT just got big timed.

Much more importantly, notwithstanding all the claims about how the NCAA picks its field, all the stats, strength of schedule, Top 10, Top 25, Top 50, etc., whatever, the fact is that the NCAA field follows the RPI with only 1 variance this year. Southern Miss, RPI 31, which translated into the 21st of 37 at large bids, was snubbed (given the SMS treatment) in favor of our local Cal Golden Bears, hailing from the People's Republic of Berkeley, whose RPI of 54 made it the 2nd team out (and in the NIT) per a pure following of the RPI.

Rather those sturdy Golden Bears get to ride a bus for the 46.4, 1.0 hour trip down the I-880 to help fill the seats in San Jose. In contrast, the local St. Mary's Gaels (RPI 29) get flown off to Dayton, Ohio for a Tuesday night "Round 1" (play-in) game.

As always, it is good to see our hard earned tax dollars at work.

“@BannersParkway: XU director of BB admin @MarioMercurio: "We opted to respectfully decline CIT and CBI invitations..."”

Isn't it a pleasure not being in such a predicament?

Which makes me wonder why they wouldn't take a team like X. Every year the NIT takes a few 'name' teams that may not be as qualified as others to make the field. Seems like a shoe-in to take X. But, oh well, it is the NIT afterall.

And yes, I am very glad not to have those problems this season. (Like in 2010, when we were all up in arms about being snubbed by the NIT!)

Here is how I see it playing out.

Sweet 16 beat Pitino, just because.

Elite 8 beat Michigan State, revenge for last year.

Final Four beat New Mexico, because we've already done that before.

National Championship beat Georgetown for lobbying against us in the Big East talks.

Boom. Easy as that. See you at the parade.

Well said sir