Recruiting - 2013

Lancona retweeted this earlier today:

Some extremely early accolades for @SaintLouisMBB Forward Dwayne Evans from @USATODAYsports http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/05/02/preseason-all-americans/2127991/?sf12345285=1 #Billikens

Retweeted by tanner lancona

Add this to his retweet of Ellis' tweet about his SLUspy award and it looks like we may be in good shape. He tweeted that the CSU trip was "short and snowy, but for the most part good." However, he doesn't seem to be retweeting anything about CSU and hasn't mentioned K-State since April 23.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but what's he saying on Myspace? I heard that's where BS went wrong he stayed committed to his Myspace page for way too long.

Some extremely early accolades for @SaintLouisMBB Forward Dwayne Evans from @USATODAYsports http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/05/02/preseason-all-americans/2127991/?sf12345285=1 #Billikens

Add this to his retweet of Ellis' tweet about his SLUspy award and it looks like we may be in good shape. He tweeted that the CSU trip was "short and snowy, but for the most part good." However, he doesn't seem to be retweeting anything about CSU and hasn't mentioned K-State since April 23.

This is good. Hasn't the feeling been that KState is the real competition?

K-State has been seen as the primary competition from the outset because he announced the SLU and K-State visits shortly after all the offers came in. The timeline was roughly:

-Released by WSU

-Worked out at his HS gym for 8-12 coaches, had individual conversations with them.

-Talked to his family, whittled the list down to his top 4 (SLU, KSU, CSU, BYU)

-Announced visits to SLU and KSU

-Visited SLU

-Got home and planned a visit to CSU on short notice

-Will be visiting KSU this weekend

-Will be visiting BYU after KSU, if possible

We weren't sure from the outset that he'd visit the other two because he only initially announced his visit to SLU and Manhattan. That's why they've been seen as the primary competition. The other main reason is that they're a BCS conference program who has beaten us for head-to-head recruiting battles in the past (Jacob Pullen), albeit with a different staff. Another reason is that they have scholarships to give and lack of depth in the frontcourt, i.e. minutes available.

Yes that is/was the feeling based on no empirical evidence besides KSTATE is a B12 school and they've had some on court success.

so we might not know until after next weekend then?

Sunday, May 5th was the target announcement date for Lancona and his family, but if he tries to squeeze in a BYU visit it will be later. He might visit for one night during the week, as with Colorado State this week.

so we might not know until after next weekend then?

Possibly. He did say previously that he'd like to make his decision by May 5th (Sunday), which would be right after his K-State visit. I guess it will all depend on if BYU can convince him to take another visit before making his decision. Considering the situation he dealt with at WSU, I don't blame him on taking his time now and finding somewhere he feels truly comfortable with.

Possibly. He did say previously that he'd like to make his decision by May 5th (Sunday), which would be right after his K-State visit. I guess it will all depend on if BYU can convince him to take another visit before making his decision. Considering the situation he dealt with at WSU, I don't blame him on taking his time now and finding somewhere he feels truly comfortable with.

Aside from being Mormon, why would you ever go to BYU? No drinking? Curfews? Facial hair requirements? Seems like a not very fun place.

I really hope that they can land Lancona. At this point in time, with two scholarships left, he'd definitely be the biggest get. He is the potential replacement for Cody and helps provide size upfront. While Randy O. looks to have great upside as a PG down the road, due to his size and athleticism, it does appear that there are a number of Plan B's in place in case he chooses elsewhere. Lancona, however, appears to be the only true multi-skilled big we are targeting. Any Plan B to him seems most likely be a 'project' big.

Aside from being Mormon, why would you ever go to BYU? No drinking? Curfews? Facial hair requirements? Seems like a not very fun place.

Exactly, Just ask Brandon Davies. Dude was suspended for having sex with his girlfriend just before the NCAA tournament a couple of years ago.

Bizzle's right, he's going to make sure it's a place he's comfortable. That said, I'm very, very impressed with the relatively short time frame he and his family have developed and carried out a quick, focused spring recruiting period they never anticipated facing in the first place. 4 weeks ago he was still going to Washington State. Now he's visiting his third of four final schools after getting about a dozen offers.

Whenever I see BYU pop up on the recruiting trail, I just assume the kid is Mormon. Does anyone know with Lancona? BYU really doesn't make sense for anyone who isn't Mormon, so if the Lanconas had a good conversation with Dave Rose a couple weeks ago, I hope they're aware of what the school is like outside of basketball.

I tried dating a Mormon girl in high school. A truly frustrating experience. She went to BYU and I'm sure caused numerous cases of blue balls.

Maybe if you had dressed and looked like this guy you could've gotten a little farther.

tumblr_ll577voer21qf9unmo1_500.jpg

I tried dating a Mormon girl in high school. A truly frustrating experience. She went to BYU and I'm sure caused numerous cases of blue balls.

The lady one desk over just asked what I was laughing at. I couldn't come up with a convincing lie, just told her it was an inside joke.

But seriously, if you're not Mormon there is absolutely no reason to consider BYU. I submit, for support of my argument, the BYU Honor Code. Some key points (all italics mine):

"Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, and substance abuse"

"Observe the Dress and Grooming Standards" - Men: "A clean and well-cared-for appearance should be maintained. Clothing is inappropriate when it is sleeveless, revealing, or form fitting. Shorts must be knee-length or longer. Hairstyles should be clean and neat, avoiding extreme styles or colors, and trimmed above the collar, leaving the ear uncovered. Sideburns should not extend below the earlobe or onto the cheek. If worn, moustaches should be neatly trimmed and may not extend beyond or below the corners of the mouth. Men are expected to be clean-shaven; beards are not acceptable. Earrings and other body piercing are not acceptable. Shoes should be worn in all public campus areas."

"Participate regularly in church services"

"Live a chaste and virtuous life"

Can you imagine going to college where you can get expelled for everyday stuff? Men's shorts have to be knee-length; no idea what the tennis team does. They must make a "sleeveless" exception for basketball. Dudes can have moustaches but not beards, because that's not at all creepy. No tea or coffee in an academic environment. I don't drink coffee, but that's insane. I'll leave out some of the other choice parts of the Code, but you get the idea.

Bizzle's right, he's going to make sure it's a place he's comfortable. That said, I'm very, very impressed with the relatively short time frame he and his family have developed and carried out a quick, focused spring recruiting period they never anticipated facing in the first place. 4 weeks ago he was still going to Washington State. Now he's visiting his third of four final schools after getting about a dozen offers.

Whenever I see BYU pop up on the recruiting trail, I just assume the kid is Mormon. Does anyone know with Lancona? BYU really doesn't make sense for anyone who isn't Mormon, so if the Lanconas had a good conversation with Dave Rose a couple weeks ago, I hope they're aware of what the school is like outside of basketball.

Yeah, you'd pretty much have to come to that conclusion, I'd think. When you look at the demographics of BYU, more than 98% of the students there are members of the LDS church. That is a mind-bogglingly high number, and has to be somewhat intimidating for any non-Mormons who are thinking about attending the university, whether for athletics or other reasons.

Yeah, you'd pretty much have to come to that conclusion, I'd think. When you look at the demographics of BYU, more than 98% of the students there are members of the LDS church. That is a mind-bogglingly high number, and has to be somewhat intimidating for any non-Mormons who are thinking about attending the university, whether for athletics or other reasons.

I haven't seen anywhere official that he is, but I Googled "tanner lancona mormon" and found two message boards that list him as potential LDS recruiting targets for BYU.

Assuming he is, he'd be the second Mormon player for SLU that I'm aware of. Ross Varner played 3 seasons at SLU after transferring from Pepperdine once Romar left there. Ross was one of the most impressive all-around guys - probably the most impressive - I knew when I was at SLU. Spoke 4 languages, did a 2-year mission trip in Latvia, married a beautiful wife, graduated with a 4.0 double major in Russian and International Business, and had a company in California offer to pay for grad school. He got in to the MBA program at Harvard and Stanford and picked Stanford. Maybe the most impressive thing I remember, though, is that he sang the national anthem before a game he played in at Scottrade Center. And he was good! I'd rather saw my own arm off than attempt a note. He was a Renaissance man.

Here's a cool story when my daughter was really little we taught her to do the "Varner face" which was just looking goofy with your mouth hanging wide open.

If we had Majerus we'd wrap up these Mormon guys. Majerus is to Mormons what Jim Crews is to you people in Evansville

I haven't seen anywhere official that he is, but I Googled "tanner lancona mormon" and found two message boards that list him as potential LDS recruiting targets for BYU.

Assuming he is, he'd be the second Mormon player for SLU that I'm aware of. Ross Varner played 3 seasons at SLU after transferring from Pepperdine once Romar left there. Ross was one of the most impressive all-around guys - probably the most impressive - I knew when I was at SLU. Spoke 4 languages, did a 2-year mission trip in Latvia, married a beautiful wife, graduated with a 4.0 double major in Russian and International Business, and had a company in California offer to pay for grad school. He got in to the MBA program at Harvard and Stanford and picked Stanford. Maybe the most impressive thing I remember, though, is that he sang the national anthem before a game he played in at Scottrade Center. And he was good! I'd rather saw my own arm off than attempt a note. He was a Renaissance man.

The one mormon I know is perhaps the nicest guy I've ever met. He also speaks four languages, did a two year mission in America Samoa, and married Ms. Utah.

Mormons, man.

Here's a cool story when my daughter was really little we taught her to do the "Varner face" which was just looking goofy with your mouth hanging wide open.

If we had Majerus we'd wrap up these Mormon guys. Majerus is to Mormons what Jim Crews is to you people in Evansville

Ross would be the first to tell you he didn't land his wife based on his looks. "I have to be very charming." My mom asked me where he was from one time:

Mom: Who's that tall white guy, kinda funny lookin'?

Me: Ross. He's from Utah.

Mom: Utah?!

Me: Yeah, he's Mormon. Transferred to SLU after he played a year at Pepperdine and did a two-year mission trip in Latvia.

Mom: Yeah, I didn't think he looked American.

I forgot that Varner started at Pepperdine. Pepperdine is nearly as nutty as BYU, just with evangelical Christians as opposed to Mormons. There may be a little more sechs there than at BYU, but it's still a very conservative place.

I forgot that Varner started at Pepperdine. Pepperdine is nearly as nutty as BYU, just with evangelical Christians as opposed to Mormons. There may be a little more sechs there than at BYU, but it's still a very conservative place.

Sechs? You mean sex or sects or ??

The entire state of Utah is Mormon through and through. You truly have to live there or visit consistently to see it and the subtle differences. I had the opportunity to go to Salt Lake City and the Tooele valley at least 50 to 100 times for the job. At first glance, you could love to live there. Utah is gorgeous. Uncrowded. Vast. Wide open. I think 95% of the population of the whole state lives in the valley aroud the Salt Lake starting with Ogden on the north and going to Provo in the south. By interstate, that's about 80 miles. Park City. Alta. Snowbird. And the women are amazing, some of the most beautiful blondes I have ever seen.

But the underside is what we called "the Mormon Mafia." Want a loan for a house or mortgage? Better be Mormon. Want a job? Ditto. My buddy lived there for 10 years and while he loved what I said above, he was in a difficult place because he was Methodist and his wife was Jewish. His kids were shunned.

Finding coffee used to be hard. To drink, you had to pay a weekly "membership" rate at the hotel bar before you could get in. Beers were by the plastic cup; alcohol by the airline bottles. Women not allowed for the most part. I remember meeting a young girl who called herself a "Jack Mormon" at that club -- she was Mormon but not real because she had a baby out of wedlock and also smoked. And then there's the "special underwear." For both men and women. Nothing huge -- just plain old cotton specially blessed at the Temple and only that comes closest to the skin.

Ahh, the Temple. Temple Square in downtown Salt lake. Y'know, they have the prettiest "sisters" and hunkiest "edlers" on those grounds for a reason. The cute will lure you in, and that's all they really want is the chnace to convert you. And the required two-year sabbaticals or "Mormon missions." The worst I ever experienced was leaving SLC International with a plane full of Missionaries ----- crying families in the airport, sermons being practices left and right, boxes and boxes of carry-ons packed with cookies and other sweet smelling things that served to clutter all the overhead bins. That was all pre-9/11 of course. This was, however, where all the beautiful girls did come to sy goodbye so the eye-candy was a pretty good trade off.