ESPN power rankings

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strong guard play beats VCU. The problem is recency in the public domain. Butler? Two final two in three years. Must be good. Let's vote for them. VCU? Went to a Final Four recently. Must be good. Let's vote for them. Gonzaga? Not bad but #1? I sincerely doubt it. But it's name recognition. Xavier is right there too. How the fuok did Dayton jump up to the #5 team in the A10 aacording to the ESPN BPI ranking? By beating Charlotte and Richmond? C';mon man.

Also on ESPN is "Is VCU a Final Four team?" Once you have the love, it's hard not to get it again.

also I'm sure the combo of everyone's VCU hardon and the overratedness of butler is just a perfect storm of bull**** rankings

Not many of the x-perts, read x-outs, seem to realize that Butler's guards are average at best. Yes, Clarke is a deadeye who can sometimes drive to the hoop, but is very limited otherwise. Also, they are athletically challenged on the inside. But they are getting mileage w/ those Ws against IU and Zaga. So, therefore if VCU destroyed them they must be a lot better than their record indicates. I'm guessing that's the logic. Plus, their magical run 2 years ago and that Shaka is a media darling is getting them lots of love. But Bilas is a BB blueblood who believe until you've done what they've done, you a peasant.

If our defense had a name, we'd be ranked ahead of VCU

In honor of RM, I go with the "Big Bratwurst" Like the Billiken name, this nickname is also unusual, a little odd, unconventional, not always pretty, doesn't completely make sense, but it is a good reflection of our team and the man who put it together.

"The Big Bratwurst is smothering Dayton"

"Butler just can't penetrate the Big Bratwurst"

"The Big Bratwurst is slapping VCU around"

"The Big Bratwurst is sizzling"

"Saint Louis actually leads the conference standings, but the Rams and Bulldogs, in their first year in the league, are the stars of the show. They have the recent Final Four panache, the wildly popular coaches and the national name branding, that hoopla all percolating into this one regular-season meeting." - ESPN

stars my arss

Why does anyone care where Bilas has SLU in his personal rankings? Let's look at RPI, BPI and the bracketology projections.

Personally, I don't care about BPI either. The selection committee doesn't use it, so why should anyone pay attention to it? It is just ESPN's effort to place another efficiency model into the conversation instead of using KenPom or Sagarin.

Personally, I don't care about BPI either. The selection committee doesn't use it, so why should anyone pay attention to it? It is just ESPN's effort to place another efficiency model into the conversation instead of using KenPom or Sagarin.

The funniest thing is that espn treats it like it is the most important ranking ever when they discuss a team's resume. They try to leave the impression that it is an important tool for the selection committee. I have heard that the committee has used outside rankings like Kenpom and Sagarin as part of the process in the past, but I don't think any selection committee member will be pulling out the BPI rankings. when discussing teams.

The funniest thing is that espn treats it like it is the most important ranking ever when they discuss a team's resume. They try to leave the impression that it is an important tool for the selection committee. I have heard that the committee has used outside rankings like Kenpom and Sagarin as part of the process in the past, but I don't think any selection committee member will be pulling out the BPI rankings. when discussing teams.

It is obvious that they are pushing their on-air analysts to mention the BPI as often as possible. Much like the NFL analysts are to mention the QBR (ESPN's own stat) rather than the NFL's established quarterback rating. It seems like their effort to appeal to the statheads while trying to trademark their own stat model.