A10 Tourney

I called in to the ticket office last week and the seats they are selling through SLU are suppose to be great. Not sure if I am going, but $250 for an all session ticket in NY doesn't seem too bad to me. Esp to watch the likes of VCU, Butler and Temple.

@the oldie --- I have been to six of the last seven A10 tournaments, our first year in the A10 in Cincinnati and every AC tournament since then (sans the 10-11 season when we lost on-campus at Rhode Island). Also count CUSA tournaments in Cincy, Louisville and Birmingham. Plus last year's NCAA games in Columbus and then going to Cleveland the year before for NCAA games. The question on tickets is how lucky do you feel?

#1) I would not pay for all sessions. I am hopeful the Bills get the #1 seed and play the noon game on Friday. This would mean my ticket is good for this game and the 2:30 game, the four versus five/12 winner. It means I have the option of bagging on the evening games if I so choose. Personal experience is such that I do not care to plaster my sizable arse in a seat for upwards of ten hours of college basketball viewing. You may be different.

#2) With the number 1 seed, that means there is no need for tickets to the Thursday session. At all. Hallelujah! If projections come true, Thursdays games will be something like this: Richmond vs. Xavier; Umass vs. GeeDub; St. Joe's vs. Dayton; and Butler vs. the Bonnies. There's a lot of "who-gives-a-shat" viewing in there and the potential for many hours of bad basketball viewing. With no ability to change channels.

#3) Arena food: ratherb ad and completely overpriced. nAC had tons of options; Brooklyn I don't know.

#4) Arena beer: worse than #3 above.

#5) Tickets to individual sessions on the cheap were like $25 in Atlantic City, rising to $35 for the semis and final. Yes, that's just to get you in the building, but Convention Hall only seated a little over 9K and was never full nor high enough to offer a truly "bad" seat. Plus, there are enough folks going home with their teams after Thursday, Friday and Saturday so you can scope something out from the long faces leaving the building after any session. The key for me has always been "if I'm in the building, I'm fine."

#6) Seats. Good seats is a subjective term. The Barclays Center lists capacity as 17,732 for basketball. AC's convention center configuration sat a little over 9,000 so we have double the available seats. The largets crowd I ever saw in AC was like 7,200 for a final between St. Joe's and Temple, two schools 60 miles up the road on a weekend day game. In Cincinnati, Fifth Third Bank's biggest crowds were for hometown heros Xavier and UC. I just don't see 17,000 New Yorkers showing up for anyone in the A10, including homestanding Fordham, who won't even be there.

#7) Traveling teams. Our group seems to grow as the weekend progresses. Unfortunately, we never have made a title game. I would say the traveling support from Rhode Island, the Bonnies, Richmond, Charlotte, GeeDub, and Umass are the same --- you'll see a few team jackets and colors, but very few. Xavier usually has a nice contingent that too grows but don't expect them this year. Dayton travels pretty well. The Philly teams start at a bottom line but usually start to grow and enlarge as the weekend progresses and the team(s) advance. Temple has the largest crowd followed by St. Joe's. La Salle usually isn't there but they did better than I expected lastyear. of course, AC was 60 minutes from Philly Center City and has hourly trains and busses to shoot down the ACE. Plus the terminals are just about right out the back of Convention Hall. Brooklyn will have to be a destination trip for most. I have no clue what or if Butler and VCU travel. We shall see. The CAA was always held in Richmond so a definite home court advantage lived there for VCU even though they play elsewhere most of the regular season. Did the Horizen even have a central tournament location? Who am I missing? Duquesne -- blah. Fordham? Not even in their own home town. Of course, Brooklyn and the Bronx not the same.

#8) Good seats (again). For the most part, the rooting section for fans of the team is usually right behind or in front of across the court from the team bench. These seats usually open up from session to session as most people from the opposing teams will pass on coming to the other sessions (see #1 above). So we have always bought the cheapest of seats and wear Billiken colors to mosey down to the place where the rest of the boosters are sitting. Or at least move around to somewhere. The ushers at AC did not stop you once if at all. If the actual ticketholders did show up, you excused yourself and moved over. I don't know how that is going to play at the Barclays Center. I suspect that if there is an upper deck and you buy tickets to it, getting down to the usual seats may prove harder.

Bottom line: up to you. Having lived throguhb so many upsets with our beloved Billikens, I take the position of living day-by-day. Plus, if we do win, there are only three sessions I care to go to.

I will not be attending this years A10 games as I will be on vacation. I wanted to free up a chance to go to an NCAA as well (my wife gave me two options for vacation and I chose to have the first weekend of the NCAA free this year).

Last year I got tickets at the last minute from a scalper that were better than the SLU alumni assoc. got (this is NOT usually the case but I lucked out). I checked in with Taj and Meg and then went out looking for scalpers prepared to sit anywhere and ended up a few rows behind SLU's bench. The one thing I will recommend about going to the A-10 tournament is the chance to meet some pretty knowledgeable fans from across the A-10. I wish I was going but I am still hoping for a favorable NCAA place (Philly is my personal first choice but Detroit and Dayton could work as well).

You buy the best seats for all six sessions ... Thursday, (2), Friday (2) Saturday and Sunday, and you'll pay $265.00. You buy the best seats for Billikens-only rounds and the cost is $205. That's with a bye on Thursday, and ignoring the second session on Friday.

Go to the windows. Look for scalpers. Buy fans leaving town.

-according to SI you folks heading to NYC should instead be going to Chicago

One of the great things that can only exist in college basketball, and not the NBA*: The star power forward who's only 6-foot-5. St. Louis' Dwayne Evans has been a rebounding monster in the A-10 at that height, pulling down 10.2 percent of offensive boards and 20.9 percent of defensive. The entire Billikens team is unsung, but Evans has to be one of the more under-appreciated stars in the nation, as the usage/efficiency/rebounding leader of a ranked, 23-5 club. His chief competitors for status as king of the 6-5 four-men are Colorado State's Pierce Hornung, who does more work than Evans on the offensive glass (15.8% OReb rate) but less on the defensive (18.1), and Southern Miss' Jonathan Mills, whose numbers are similar to Hornung's. Southern Miss is the land of the 6-5 forwards, by the way: Somehow Donnie Tyndall has amassed five such guys on his roster.

* Aside from Charles Barkley, but he's long gone.

Next three: 3/6 at Xavier, 3/9 vs. La Salle, Big Ten tournament TBD

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130306/college-basketball-power-rankings/#ixzz2MpWYHWcG

I know that most of you will think this is insincere but I live in Brooklyn now (Steve is actually crashing with me for the tourney, I believe). I don't have the cash to attend any of the games I don't think but if anyone wants to grab a beer or seven, shoot me a message and let me know. Or if you just want pointers/help/etc. with the area, I'll do my best to give you info.

If I had more room I'd offer to host someone else, but Brooklyn apartments aren't very large. Looking forward to seeing a large billikens contingent in a week.

If my flight is arriving at LaGuardia at 10:35am, our hotel is in mid-town Manhattan and the game is at 12 noon, can I drop off my bags at the hotel and get to the game in time? I assume it would be best to take a cab to the hotel. What would be best way to get to game?

Cab would be the quickest way to get from LGA to your hotel. Depending on where your hotel is in Midtown, I'd say best case scenario landing at LGA at 10:35 would get you to Midtown by 11:15, and that's if you don't check bags, no cab line and relatively no traffic. From Midtown to Barclays center is 20-30 min by subway. Take the 2/3, 4/5, B/D, or N/R/Q to Atlantic Ave/Barclays Center. Which line you take depends on where your hotel is. So getting to Barclays Center by noon is possible, but 12:30 is more likely.

Another note with laguardia: they build in a pretty substantial buffer for delays so take arrival times with a slight grain of salt. My experience has typically been that I arrive around 20 minutes earlier than expected, but delays are also prevalent so there's a 45 minute window as far as arrival goes.

Barclays is set up kind of like the old barn in that the sections are really steep. I like it because even the cheap seats feel close to the floor, but if you're affected by vertigo try to get seats closer to the floor if you can. It's a really nice stadium, and I would count on a larger than usual crowd for the tourney. You'll likely have more fans traveling in, just because a vacation to NYC holds a little bit more allure than a vacation to jersey (no offense, steve), and new Yorkers will likely come out. Probably won't be full but I could easily see crowds of 10-13k.