Mizzou

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ace, I get excited after watching top ranked team after top ranked team go down. Gives me hope that a veteran team that has flown under the radar most of the season and that seems to just now becoming the team they should, could really make some noise in March because there are no really dominant teams.

-Brian I agree, if we get back to playing defense like we had been we can and would beat anyone

Yeah, they did real well against Norfolk State last year on a neutral court.

I am not pumping them up, just think they will make the tourney, because they will win their home games and win a few in their conference tourney, they will be in. As for do they repeat their NCAA tourney success from last year, I sure hope so :D

Ace, I get excited after watching top ranked team after top ranked team go down. Gives me hope that a veteran team that has flown under the radar most of the season and that seems to just now becoming the team they should, could really make some noise in March because there are no really dominant teams.

This is why I do not think we have seen the last of the Butler's or VCU getting to the final four. The Big East 7 would generate these types of senior laden rosters of good but not one and done players. I think if SLU plays like they did against Butler and Dayton, then their is no saying how far the could go in the Dance....

Mizzou will still make the tourney they play well at home and on a neutral court will do fine. However, watching Phil flip that ball over the bench into the seats reminded me of Rotnei's response to our pressure. Mizzou has no one else to run the point.....nice having three good guards who can handle pressure defense.
I am not pumping them up, just think they will make the tourney, because they will win their home games and win a few in their conference tourney, they will be in. As for do they repeat their NCAA tourney success from last year, I sure hope so :D

Fifteen years ago Missouri had several big home wins but lost every single road game and was relegated to the NIT after going 8-8 in conference. The Tigers have yet to win a road game against even the weakest SEC teams, so unless they suddenly get "religion," they're destined for 9-9 or 8-10 and will be in the NIT unless they win the SEC Tournament. It doesn't matter what their poll ranking and RPI ranking are if they fail to win any road games. It appears they have a very low basketball IQ, and that's despite taking a foreign trip (thus getting extra practice time) last summer.

Fifteen years ago Missouri had several big home wins but lost every single road game and was relegated to the NIT after going 8-8 in conference. The Tigers have yet to win a road game against even the weakest SEC teams, so unless they suddenly get "religion," they're destined for 9-9 or 8-10 and will be in the NIT unless they win the SEC Tournament. It doesn't matter what their poll ranking and RPI ranking are if they fail to win any road games. It appears they have a very low basketball IQ, and that's despite taking a foreign trip (thus getting extra practice time) last summer.

That was a foreign trip with their best player and dirt bag Mike Dixon too. Mizzou is not a good team and the numbers will show that by the end of the season. Very similar to some of the Quin Snyder teams of the past.

Heading into mid-February has there ever been a more wide open college basketball season than this year? March Madness is going to be real interesting and I could envision any team that gets in making a run to Atlanta. There is not going to be much difference between the 10 seeds and 2 seeds. This appears to be a great year for our Billikens to make a repeat trip to the dance especially if we keep up this level of play.

What a total and complete embarrassment to our state!!!! Thugs! Pure and simple. Did you see 42 get up ready to have a street fight? And after he intentionally tripped the kid. Just a complete embarrassment.

The is a real black mark on Haith. If he is playing a kid like this, game in and game out, and not taking action, he is part of the problem. I'm beginning to believe the stories about him at Miami.

What a total and complete embarrassment to our state!!!! Thugs! Pure and simple. Did you see 42 get up ready to have a street fight? And after he intentionally tripped the kid. Just a complete embarrassment.

Yeah if I am coaching he is sitting at the end of the bench for a couple of games no matter what the situation. Complete classless move and really takes away from a pretty descent performance today.

Number 42 for Missouri tripped the opposing players after a play at the basket by grabbing the guy's foot. It was absolutely flagrant and childish. Then the guy who falls down gets up and has words for 42 and all hell breaks loose. Then, of course, 42 goes into his streetfighter mode swinging his fists at him like he's a badass. Typical Missouri. Pathetic that Haith did nothing.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Littlebill" data-cid="341501" data-time="1360440661"><p>

Oriakhi tripped an ole miss player. They BOTH came up swinging, and Bowers got involved as well. Only call was an ejection for the Ole Miss player.</p></blockquote>

I certainly did not see the ole miss player come up swinging. He had words for 42, but I he didn't come up swinging until 42 went into streetfighter mode.

Okay, so 42 = Oriakhi = street thug masquerading as a basketball player. I am still stunned that Haith almost immediately put this kid back in the game. In the ATM game Thursday Oriakhi had another issue. I forget the details, but I was really surprised then. Now I am hearing that this punk is well-known for being a thug. I hope he likes wearing paper hats because that's about the only job a kid with that pattern of behavior is going to get...assuming he isn't a full-time license plate manufacturer first.

Okay, so 42 = Oriakhi = street thug masquerading as a basketball player. I am still stunned that Haith almost immediately put this kid back in the game. In the ATM game Thursday Oriakhi had another issue. I forget the details, but I was really surprised then. Now I am hearing that this punk is well-known for being a thug. I hope he likes wearing paper hats because that's about the only job a kid with that pattern of behavior is going to get...assuming he isn't a full-time license plate manufacturer first.

I think you have that backwards.

ESPN's write-up has video: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=330400142

Ole Miss' guy got the boot because he's the only guy that landed a punch. I'm not sure if the conference will look at it and tell the programs to suspend a guy or two on each side.

Ole Miss' guy got the boot because he's the only guy that landed a punch. I'm not sure if the conference will look at it and tell the programs to suspend a guy or two on each side.

.....What I saw in the original game and replays and I think is clear in the ESPN video is that Oriakhi flagrantly reached out to grab the guy's leg and trip him. The Ole Miss player jumped up and started yelling at Oriakhi, but he NEVER swung his fists or assumed a fighting-like stance. The officials and other players rushed in and there was a lot of pushing and shoving, but then Oriakhi starts going Mortal Kombat (or, as the announcers much more amusingly put it, started looking like Fred Sanford!) and egging on the Ole Miss players while pulling up the legs of his shorts and what looked like challenging them to a fight.

Apparently this Oriakhi character has a bad rep. So why does Haith allow it? He was almost as bad in the ATM game, so it is not like today was a surprise. Then, on top of that, after the ATM game, he starts mouthing off about the officials in the presser. And Haith/Mizzou does nothing??? Really??? And to top it all of, Haith puts the kid right back in the game??? Wow! So proud of our state's main public team right now....

Front the video it looks like Bowers got the best shot in with a shove of the Ole Miss player then as the Ole Miss player is going back at him the ref is pushing him so he lands a sloppy hit on Bowers. Oriakhi blatantly grabbed the guy's foot as he (Oriakhi) was lying on the floor the refs called it intentional immediately. Oriakhi didn't do any real "fighting" other than go into a crouch and put up his dukes, but he was obviously being an aggressor trying to instigate things with another Ole Miss player while Bowers did his dirty work.

It looked to me like the refs handled it well. The one ref goes to shut down the Ole Miss player aggressively going toward Oriahki after the foul and the only reason Bowers got hit was because he came over and shoved the guy.

IMO, Bowers looks worst on video, then Ole Miss guy. Oriahki is a clown and should also be suspended, but he didn't do much other than instigate everything.

I'm not disagreeing with you guys, just saying that the Ole Miss guy's big downfall is that he connected. Didn't help that a ref was between him and the player he hit. The hard shoves like the one Bowers landed rarely result in ejections. Punches do. Oriakhi's trip was a cheap shot that the refs didn't see. Then he walks around in a weird crouch with his right fist pointed out - I'm not familiar enough with Sanford & Son to say if that comparison was accurate but it was a fairly comical display. Wasn't the most intimidating, if that's what he was going for. Anyway, the whole scene was embarrassing for Mizzou and Ole Miss and the SEC.

It's not surprising, given who's in charge of those two teams. Nor was it as bad as what happened at Xavier last year, which is why I'm not totally convinced anyone will be suspended here. What's clear is that Oriakhi has displayed a pattern of behavior that is destructive to his team from the inside; but Haith would never discipline a guy who just scored 22 with 18 rebounds and 3 blocks in that same game.