SLU Majerus Memorial Service

I thought this service was extremely well done. Down in the pavilion. Was great to see all of Rick's play diagrams taped to the walls. Fitting tributes by all, thought that Crews gave a terrific speech. Paul Eckerle was so eloquent that it made me proud to be a fellow alum. Paul gave the only truly humorous anecdote : Bowling Green game, loose ball, Paul is the closest, he dives, Rickma bowled over, assisted off the floor. After the game, Rick has been sent to the hospital. Eckerle calls the hospital to inquire about Rick's status. Rickma answers the call with "Paul, get yourself a lawyer !". Paul says his face turned red and his heart was pounding through his chest. Rickma then says that since Paul always hustled so much, it was OK. Anybody else ... Was also great to hear a tape of Kwamain's call to Rick at the LA hospital. Angie did most of the talking, Rick a little, but they wanted to know how Kwa was recovering from his foot surgery.

Many participants from Fr. Biondi on down, ended with the pep band and Ted Drewes served. A touching sendoff, many nice touches. Great enlarged photos of Columbus games.

I thought this service was extremely well done. Down in the pavilion. Was great to see all of Rick's play diagrams taped to the walls. Fitting tributes by all, thought that Crews gave a terrific speech. Paul Eckerle was so eloquent that it made me proud to be a fellow alum. Paul gave the only truly humorous anecdote : Bowling Green game, loose ball, Paul is the closest, he dives, Rickma bowled over, assisted off the floor. After the game, Rick has been sent to the hospital. Eckerle calls the hospital to inquire about Rick's status. Rickma answers the call with "Paul, get yourself a lawyer !". Paul says his face turned red and his heart was pounding through his chest. Rickma then says that since Paul always hustled so much, it was OK. Anybody else ... Was also great to hear a tape of Kwamain's call to Rick at the LA hospital. Angie did most of the talking, Rick a little, but they wanted to know how Kwa was recovering from his foot surgery.

Many participants from Fr. Biondi on down, ended with the pep band and Ted Drewes served. A touching sendoff, many nice touches. Great enlarged photos of Columbus games.

I agree...very nicely done. Hearing the phone call made me cry! Paul's speech was indeed eloquent! I was a bit surprised that more people were not there but I guess since it was at an odd time it made it difficult for people to attend.

-I wish I had been able to attend, thanks for the summary, I am glad SLU is getting good reviews for this, I would love for it have been taped for others to view but understand that may not have been appropriate

I sent two emails earlier this week. One to Chris May and another to Matt Hayden asking them to please consider recording the service and posting it on slubillikens.com. I received no response from either.

I agree...very nicely done. Hearing the phone call made me cry! Paul's speech was indeed eloquent! I was a bit surprised that more people were not there but I guess since it was at an odd time it made it difficult for people to attend.

Very nicely done today. I feel like there were a lot of people (me included) (and Kwamain) who teared up when they played the phone call.

There were several film crews recording it, so perhaps it will be available somewhere.

When the call between Kwamain and RM was played (ending KM's rememberance) it was very emotional. It sounded like KM had tried several times to get in touch with Coach (after he broke his foot) before RM was "healthy" or able enough to get back. Coach sounded extremely ill, on his last legs. It was brief, but gut-wrenching, with Angie doing a lot of the communicating. KM spoke very fondly of RM, mentioned his trials at SLU, "bumps along the way", and how Coach helped him get through the tough times, and become a man. I can't wait for him to get back on the court.

Very nicely done. Another nice touch were the approximately 100 easel sized diagramed basketball plays from RM's office which were on the walls surrounding the pavilion.

A touching and emotional ceremony. A meaningful sendoff for Coach that really focused on him as a great person not just a great coach.

Brian Kunderman@BKunderman

For those asking, we will be posting yesterday's memorial service on YouTube shortly...

That will be nice for those of us who are out of state or couldn't attend the memorial. I was hoping SLU might stream the service on their website, but no. My kid went to the service & said it was quite moving. Said it was very hard to see Rick's girlfriend, Angie, crying during the tributes.