Let's try a little zone defense

I think the Billikens could benefit from using some zone or hybrid-zone defenses against some teams — particularly teams with above-average post players, like Kansas and Washington. I know that makes rebounding a concern, but if the opposing offense continues to put the ball in the basket on the first shot, there aren't many opportunities to get a rebound. Also, they don't have to zone up all game — or even most of the game — but switch it up from time to time to make the opponent guess a little bit.

Would use of a triangle-and-two, with man defenders on N'Diaye and either Wilcox or Gaddy, slowed Washington's roll last night?

I don't see why they can't deviate from man-to-man sometimes.

Yes a zone could have been effective.

Should we be advocating Crews to implement one when he's been coaching man to man for 30 years and hasn't been able to instill it properly yet this season?

There is merit to a zone defense as part of the arsenal. Even Coach Majerus allowed Porter Moser to put in a zone in an early year, while admitting that zone was foreign to him (Majerus).

SLU's schemes are very predictable on both sides, offense and defense. I know what they are at least supposed to do, so you know the opponents know. I think a zone can stop some of the dribble drive penetration, and can stop for a while the athletic 2's and 3's that have been torching SLU so far (Foster, Releford, Wilcox, even to an extent Early).

I am not saying play zone as a primary defense; I am saying to have a zone as an alternative. It certainly worked for a time for Coach Romar and UW as he wisely went to a zone, and it took SLU out of its strong first half offensive rhythm, that is until Cody Ellis started busting that zone with 3's. But that zone affected a couple of SLU possessions, and the game was a 5 point differential. That UW zone made some difference.

I said that after the KS game. I find it hard to believe that every team doesn't have a zone defense to use as needed. Their is absolutely no question in my mind that there are times in a season when being able to use a zone will help you. It also blows my mind that a guy who's been around the game as long as RM needed help or claimed to be unfamiliar with a zone d. At least not familiar enough to install one. It doesn't have to be worked on enough to be run to perfection. Just enough to give a team a different look and make them adjust. Hell, the reality is I'd be shocked if Crews couldn't show it on his clipboard during a game and they couldn't run a basic 2-3 well enough to cause teams a few problems. These guys have been around basketball their entire lives.

I said that after the KS game. I find it hard to believe that every team doesn't have a zone defense to use as needed. Their is absolutely no question in my mind that there are times in a season when being able to use a zone will help you. It also blows my mind that a guy who's been around the game as long as RM needed help or claimed to be unfamiliar with a zone d. At least not familiar enough to install one. It doesn't have to be worked on enough to be run to perfection. Just enough to give a team a different look and make them adjust. Hell, the reality is I'd be shocked if Crews couldn't show it on his clipboard during a game and they couldn't run a basic 2-3 well enough to cause teams a few problems. These guys have been around basketball their entire lives.

-at one of the q&a sessions during his tenure Rick was asked about zone defense and he said no one in the best bball league in the world plays a zone

-at one of the q&a sessions during his tenure Rick was asked about zone defense and he said no one in the best bball league in the world plays a zone

That would be relevant if he was coaching in the best basketball league in the world. However, he wasn't. He was coaching in D-1 where zone's must have some value as many other coaches use them and have success. I know that because I have seen them used to slow down his teams. Also if there was absolutely no need, how come he had Porter install one. Additionally, didn't he use some kind of gimmick zone in the National championship game.

Yep, he used a triangle and two. I wonder why? Nobody in the NBA plays a triangle and two? Now I'm really confused

That would be relevant if he was coaching in the best basketball league in the world. However, he wasn't. He was coaching in D-1 where zone's must have some value as many other coaches use them and have success. I know that because I have seen them used to slow down his teams. Also if there was absolutely no need, how come he had Porter install one. Additionally, didn't he use some kind of gimmick zone in the National championship game.

I think he used a "gimmick" D against Memphis as well. I can't remember what he switched to, but they moved out of man-to-man.

Also, Majerus let his assistants (predominately Porter I think) install a zone.

Oh sure.

We are a team comprised primarily of 3rd and 4th year players who have only been in one system that whole time. A group of players who have not exactly shown themselves to be super-fast learners in that time. A groups of players that have been somewhat hurt by a lack of intensity and effort, more than by their system, in some of these early season games. A system that when done right has proven to be incredibly effective even against some of the nation's best teams. So effective that they were a top 10 defense last well.

Yeah sure the system is the problem, let's change that.

They dont play ANY defense in the best bball league in the world.

Speaking of defense....how bout that 37-36 barn burner between G'town and the Vols?

.One of the biggest problems on defense right now is injuries. We have too many guys playing too many minutes and knowing they will be playing a ton of minutes. Especially at the guard position. Playing good man to man defense takes a lot of energy. A zone might be a good idea at least until with get healthy.