A10 Offseason Notebook

slufan13

-still picking us #1 even with no Rick and we have no one on his pre-season all conf team, we don't have his player of the year or anyone on the 10 that will make a major impact but JM on the 10 breakout list and KC on 10 frosh list, i guess that shows the quality and depth of our roster

-interesting to see him pick x as 10th

Manning #1 on the breakout players list. Holy cow. I'd have him a little further down that list. Still have high hopes but see big men as a longer-term breakout proposition, looking more at Manning's junior and senior years as potentially big.

Manning #1 on the breakout players list. Holy cow. I'd have him a little further down that list. Still have high hopes but see big men as a longer-term breakout proposition, looking more at Manning's junior and senior years as potentially big.

I've been telling anyone who will listen. John Manning is going to own this year. WATCH OUT

I've been telling anyone who will listen. John Manning is going to own this year. WATCH OUT

I've also been riding up front on the JM bandwagon. He won't replace BC point for point, but he'll defend the post better, rebound better, and block shots better. All in all, he may not end up as valuable to us this year as BC was last year, but he's on his way

My problem with Manning #1 on the breakout players list is that he won't start for us. In fact, I'm not sure he will be the backup center. Cody essentially was the primary backup center last season but with Conk gone, you would think Cody has to play the 4 almost exclusively. But Cory showed flashes at the end of last season and I expect Rob to be demonstrably better in his junior year. Cory is a senior. How are the minutes going to break down @ 5? Rob 20 / Cory 10 / John 10? That very well could be how it shakes out. Manning will be on my list for break out players in 2013. He'll play big boy minutes next year.

My problem with Manning #1 on the breakout players list is that he won't start for us. In fact, I'm not sure he will be the backup center. Cody essentially was the primary backup center last season but with Conk gone, you would think Cody has to play the 4 almost exclusively. But Cory showed flashes at the end of last season and I expect Rob to be demonstrably better in his junior year. Cory is a senior. How are the minutes going to break down @ 5? Rob 20 / Cory 10 / John 10? That very well could be how it shakes out. Manning will be on my list for break out players in 2013. He'll play big boy minutes next year.

This is also the problem with any of our guys getting all-conference consideration when the season is done. On paper, they aren't going to look as good as they could because there are so many players deserving of more minutes than they'll get. Manning might be ready to break out but he's sharing minutes with Remekun, Ellis, Evans, Loe, Glaze, and possibly Drew. He's the only true 5 on the roster, which works to his advantage, but you're right in that he probably won't start and will be a part of many frontcourt combos. 20 MPG for Loe, 10 for Manning, and 10 for Remekun doesn't really seem fair to any of them. Then again, where do more minutes come from?

Minutes at guard will be just as tough to spread out. It's a good problem to have, but I don't see anyone on our roster averaging 30 MPG, 16 or so PPG, or 7 RPG. Maybe I'm wrong but things should be very spread out.

-still picking us #1 even with no Rick and we have no one on his pre-season all conf team, we don't have his player of the year or anyone on the 10 that will make a major impact but JM on the 10 breakout list and KC on 10 frosh list, i guess that shows the quality and depth of our roster

-interesting to see him pick x as 10th

There is an unconfirmed rumor on xavierhoops that Myles Davis and Jalen Reynolds will not be eligible. If so it could be a tough year for X. Something they are not used to.

Minutes at guard will be just as tough to spread out. It's a good problem to have, but I don't see anyone on our roster averaging 30 MPG, 16 or so PPG, or 7 RPG. Maybe I'm wrong but things should be very spread out.

I hope Cody averages 30 mpg. He's the one guy we really don't have a ready replacement for, a stretch 4 who has turned himself into a solid rebounder. Grandy Mama is probably not ready to log more than 10 MPG. I don't know if Jared Drew will have enough meat on his bones this year to log minutes @ 4 but that 7' wingspan will come in handy. Dwayne causes other teams match up problems when he's at the 3 so I hope he plays the bulk of his minutes there.

Manning, Loe = Robinson, Duncan. Twin Towers 2012

Manning didn't play much last year, but I recall more than once where RL and JM played at the same time, so I think we will see it some. Remember when RM recruited RL, he talked about Loe playing the 4 with Willie at the 5.

Manning, Loe = Robinson, Duncan. Twin Towers 2012

Kwamain, Dwayne = Jordan, Pippen

We are gonna win the national titty this year boys!