Coach Whitesell

slufan13

St Johns hired Lavin's ex player Darrick Martin

Good news for now - while JW might not be happy I do think he can now focus his attention on this season. Even if he intends to leave or feels he needs to leave next year not doing a good job will only hurt his chances of landing somewhere else of quality. I have often said that you learn more about a person by how they respond when they do not get the job then if they do. I have seen people accept what has happened, stay loyal within reason and eventually win out by impressing people by their professionalism.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the big blue elephant in the room: why did our staff have two old washed up no one wants for a head coach anymore guys on staff, an assistant coach that isnt even a citizen of the united states he was so new to united states college basketball, who then was replaced by a brand new assistant that was on his first year of even being a recruiter? i.e. absolutely not one coach really capable of taking the reigns.

the big blue elephant in the room: why did our staff have two old washed up no one wants for a head coach anymore guys on staff, an assistant coach that isnt even a citizen of the united states he was so new to united states college basketball, who then was replaced by a brand new assistant that was on his first year of even being a recruiter? i.e. absolutely not one coach really capable of taking the reigns.

Wow....Roy being critical of May...never thought I'd see the day. :)

Really though, I think we need to tone it down a little. We are not even giving our interim head coach a chance. And if all of us already have him in the gutter, what type of message is that sending to recruits, fans and even the players? I think we just need to relax and let the thing play out. Let's support Crews and Whitesell until they give us a reason not to. Who knows, maybe a disaster and some time with Majerus was what Crews needed to lead a team to the promised land. I'm not a rah rah guy, but given all the turmoil in the program, I'm going to try and stay positive and support what we have.

I'm confused. What does that have to do with anything?

Also,

Rick Majerus: HOF coach

Harry: Lead Recruiter and took over duties when Majerus was sick

Whitesell: Recent coach who previous head coaching experience who had links to Chicago

Crews: Majeus said he was the best Xs &Os coach he's ever known

Tony Young: A young, dedicated coach who the players liked

Tanner Bronson: A Wisconsin kid that Rick thought would be a good coach.

What's the problem? Before this off-season I would have thought Majerus has complied a GREAT staff.

i never liked our staff. whitesell would have been fine, not both i have never seen the purpose of crews. harriman in 6 years would have been fine or else we should have had a second recruiter closer to being head coach ready. the neophyte would have been fine if we had a couple of all but ready assistants.

the staff was basically one for a coach that was planning to be our head coach for a couple of decades. not one for a couple of years.

Everyone who thought we'd move from Rick to a new coach with no drama and no recruiting time lost and an uninterupted chain of NCAA tourney appearances raise your hand...............

Anyone?????

The timing on Rick getting sick sucks. Too bad we didn't have Shaka Smart hanging around just in case Rick took ill. None of our current or previous assistants have had the right kind of experience or success to be a long term solution as head coach.

What top flight assistant in his right mind would take the job of Billiken assistant right now for an interim coach. It'd have to be someone like Crews who's been out of it or an absolute noob or someone tainted like Biancardi.

The fact is we'll probably take a step back due to the lost recruiting time during this transition. The key is not to botch the next hire period. If it takes till next July to get a great coach so be it.

i never liked our staff. whitesell would have been fine, not both i have never seen the purpose of crews. harriman in 6 years would have been fine or else we should have had a second recruiter closer to being head coach ready. the neophyte would have been fine if we had a couple of all but ready assistants.

the staff was basically one for a coach that was planning to be our head coach for a couple of decades. not one for a couple of years.

Crews was hired because Al bailed right before the season started. I'm not sure why you are thinking Harriman needed 6 more years of seasoning. He was already the lead recruiter and was the one who actually took over for Rick when he was out. He's already recognized as one of the top upcoming assistants in the country (as defined by CBS Sports). He was already getting the job done. Agree to disagree.

It all would have been fine if Moser hadn't left. If he stayed, right now he's be a head coach in a better conference with a much better team. Hopefully he doesn't look back and regret his decision.

The giving Porter ###### stuff gets a little old.

That said, the guy we should have done everything possible to keep around was Biancardi.

The giving Porter ###### stuff gets a little old.

That said, the guy we should have done everything possible to keep around was Biancardi.

Sorry you are so sensitive. Geez, people are testy. It wasn't really a shot at Porter. If he hadn't left, he would have been our coach correct? If he was the coach at SLU, he'd be coaching in a better conference, correct? He'd be coaching a better team here than the one he has at Loyola, correct?

I understood why he took the Loyola job. It was in his hometown and he took the sure thing, rather than wait. It's just that the way things played out, I wonder if he would have rather had this job if he had just waited a while longer. He's got a lot more rebuilding to do at Loyola.

'

Crews was hired because Al bailed right before the season started. I'm not sure why you are thinking Harriman needed 6 more years of seasoning. He was already the lead recruiter and was the one who actually took over for Rick when he was out. He's already recognized as one of the top upcoming assistants in the country (as defined by CBS Sports). He was already getting the job done. Agree to disagree.

Harriman did a phenomenal job for us. Not sure why anyone would gripe that he was an AC at SLU. The proof is in the pudding. Harriman got hired away by a BCS school. If Harriman was still here and we were looking at Crews with Harriman the top asst., I'd be rather pleased about the situation. Agree with Roy's point about Whitesell and Crews being redundant but Crews was supposed to just be a last minute / one year fill in for Al Jensen after left for the NBAD like a week before practice started. I won't put that one on Majerus because the circumstances forced his hand.

It took a stroke of luck/genius for us six years ago in securing Majerus as we did. No one saw that coming and even the most loyal of Blue Bleeders cannot argue to the contrary. What we saw over those six years was an architect busy building. He got rid of the recruits on the roster he could not work with and then he molded the current team to the unprecedented level we enjoy today. I happen to believe it was all Majerus, with some decent recruiting input from Harriman. Majerus had similar runs at Ball State and Utah (I don't recall much of his short term at Marquette). But it seems neither Ball State nor Utah sustained their Majerus-based programs when he left. It speaks volumes to his "style," even if you dislike the person behind it. The man knows basketball better than all but a few out there.

I saw the current situation eventually occurring ---- only I thought it would be brought about by an ongoing, irreconcilable disconnect between Rick and Larry. I did not see it coming to a head over health issues although thoseare always a possibility with the big guy. We are decidely staring smack in the face of what i feared, namely the "S" word as in sustainability.

To me I don't see either Whitesell or Crews being what I envisioned as the answer. I also was not certain Moser nor Harriman nor Jensen were the answer although Jensen seemed promising. Kids leave when coaches leave --- Fisher with Romar out of Pepperdine, Staten with Gregory out of Dayton, Beasley decommitted from Charlotte when Huggins stole the assistant coach to Kansas State, Lyons went off to join Miller from Xavier to Arizona. I wonder if any of our first and second yera players do that next year. But I'll worry about that then.

As before, I am content to let the current season play out uninterrupted ..... and pray like hell the admin knows what they have to do. I still advocate hiringassoon as we can, but have to believe May and company have a plan. This will be a crucial decision on May's part. He had no play in the Majerus hiring as Rick's hiring was done before he arrived. This one, if its successful, could make or break his career as far as moving up to alarger school is concerned (i.e. Yow to Maryland and the other guy to South Florida).

I just cannot see Crews or Whitesell leading us forward.

.... and pray like hell the admin knows what they have to do. I still advocate hiringassoon as we can, but have to believe May and company have a plan. This will be a crucial decision on May's part. He had no play in the Majerus hiring as Rick's hiring was done before he arrived. This one, if its successful, could make or break his career as far as moving up to alarger school is concerned (i.e. Yow to Maryland and the other guy to South Florida). I just cannot see Crews or Whitesell leading us forward.

as nashville insinuated a few posts back, i am a huge Chris May fan. what he did perceive wrongly though is i dont blame chris one bit for where we are. this is all on rickma and the good father. now going forward, dam right Chris is going to be right in the middle of what happens. i would be shocked if we have another head coach that calls all the shots. and hopefully biondi would have the good sense to at least put someone between himself and the new coach.

i have all the confidence in the world of Chris picking up this fumble and doing the best he can with it. that said, one year hiatus is going to hurt. will we get recruits? will current players leave? it is a huge job for someone to step into next year and expect there will not be a hiccup. especially if we go cheap with an assistant or a lower level head coach. i guess for now if anything to the contrary was going to happen, it would have already happened. time to sit back and enjoy what should be a good season and we can pick this up in April 2013.

as nashville insinuated a few posts back, i am a huge Chris May fan. what he did perceive wrongly though is i dont blame chris one bit for where we are. this is all on rickma and the good father. now going forward, dam right Chris is going to be right in the middle of what happens. i would be shocked if we have another head coach that calls all the shots. and hopefully biondi would have the good sense to at least put someone between himself and the new coach.

i have all the confidence in the world of Chris picking up this fumble and doing the best he can with it. that said, one year hiatus is going to hurt. will we get recruits? will current players leave? it is a huge job for someone to step into next year and expect there will not be a hiccup. especially if we go cheap with an assistant or a lower level head coach. i guess for now if anything to the contrary was going to happen, it would have already happened. time to sit back and enjoy what should be a good season and we can pick this up in April 2013.

Just so I'm clear... are you saying that Rickma is more responsible for concerning himself with the future direction of the program than Chris May?

Just so I'm clear... are you saying that Rickma is more responsible for concerning himself with the future direction of the program than Chris May?

I am saying that chris may had zero input in the selection of the coaching staff.

Roy that is ridiculous. It Is Chris May's job to have contingency plans for every single HC position in the department. You can't have it both ways because of your hatred of Rick. May either does a good job or he dropped the ball on this one. Which one is it?

What did everyone want May to do?

Do we think we could have gotten the Asst we wanted as a HC to come as an Asst also just in case Rick got sick?

How about a guy with HC experience that we'd all like to quit his current HC position and come to SLU in case Rick got sick?

I think May was ready. He had 2 guys with HC experience that he had observed for a year. He couldn't have guessed Harriman would leave and replacing him would have been up to RM who's been sick. Not only that I don't believe Harriman was the answer at this point.

Seems to me for a program that had it's top Asst leave just before the season started last year and then their young up and comer leave what 6 to 8 weeks ago for a hell of a lot more money and a better conference we aren't in that bad of shape. To assume we should have or could have been more prepared just doesn't seem realistic to me

Roy that is ridiculous. It Is Chris May's job to have contingency plans for every single HC position in the department. You can't have it both ways because of your hatred of Rick. May either does a good job or he dropped the ball on this one. Which one is it?

beg to differ. if told he has no say in the on court basketball decisions in any way, there isnt much May can do about the makeup of the basketball coaching staff.

beg to differ. if told he has no say in the on court basketball decisions in any way, there isnt much May can do about the makeup of the basketball coaching staff.

I don't blame May either. But, Roy, do you mean what you just wrote. SLU has has one real sport (sorry soccer, etc). The athletic director doesn't have a say in how its only major revenue sport is run/structured? If true (which it may very well be after Biondi shanked Cheryl Levick), wow.

I don't blame May either. But, Roy, do you mean what you just wrote. SLU has has one real sport (sorry soccer, etc). The athletic director doesn't have a say in how its only major revenue sport is run/structured? If true (which it may very well be after Biondi shanked Cheryl Levick), wow.

i think the athletic department controls everything about basketball (tickets, facility, marketing, etc) except the work directly having to do with the on court product. i.e. coaches, schedule, players, all is out of AD's hands. the AD might initiate the schedule, but it is a final decision made beyond the AD.