SLU Morale

DoctorB

Not this. SLU is entirely independent. They do not report to the Missouri Jesuits or the national organization. Not for executive leadership.

To amplify. Fr. Biondi reports to the Jesuits but the University does not per se. That said, 8 of the trustees are in fact Jesuits.

http://www.slu.edu/x19167.xml

They are a voting block that is a minority; however, you can bet a certain number of the trustees who are not Jesuits vote with the Jesuits. This is why it would be very difficult to oust Fr. Biondi from his position. He would have to offend a large majority of the trustees who vote independently. Not impossible but difficult to accomplish.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The real question is, are we going to break the top 100 this year in the national rankings?? Maybe even Lindenwood will be able to catch up with us. Mizzou will surely pass us this year, and those kids pay 1/4th of the price we pay at SLU.

I became a student at SLU when our ranking was in the high 60s / low 70s. I thought for sure we would be a top 50 University by now. No, no... we have gone in the completely wrong direction and tuition keeps skyrocketing. As an alum, I would not allow my kid (if I had one) to attend SLU. If your own Alumni dont want their kids going to SLU, you are doing something wrong.

Totally agree, and if others don't feel the same way, I would (honestly) love to hear why. Sentimental reasons aside.

Count me also as an alumnus who has been very appreciative of Biondi's considerable improvements to the physical campus of SLU (the bad art notwithstanding). However, his leadership and management style have become toxic for the University. It's time for him to go, and everyone who feels the same way should try to figure out a method to make their voice heard.

You're playing my song, Box. Mike Garanzini, C+F, Pastori's, the legend of the exorcist kid. I'll bet larry72 would approve that hire in a flash.

The entire point of that *ahem* eloquent post was that I want Garanzini...

The entire point of that *ahem* eloquent post was that I want Garanzini...

Prebil, great post.

My feelings towards SLU are so conflicted. ###### really started hitting the fan JUST as I made my first donation to SLU and got personalized plates for the first time. Great timing, huh?

I don't want to turn my back on the university but I can't see myself continuing to donate/rep/support SLU as long as certain things are still happening. Yet, if I stop I fear that certain things will start to get worse.

Guys, we can talk about donations, personalized plates, etc. until the Pevely cows come home, but let's channel our energy/anger/enthusiasm at our boys on the court this year. In solidarity, we can send a big middle finger to Biondi. He can try to get us to crack, but he will never break us.

Our guys deserve that energy from Columbus ten-fold at Chaifetz Arena this year.

#boozeCrews

I don't want to turn my back on the university but I can't see myself continuing to donate/rep/support SLU as long as certain things are still happening. Yet, if I stop I fear that certain things will start to get worse.

Thanks PJ.

That's exactly what I am saying. We are the young alumni and while we don't currently have as much monetary sway as we will in later days we have to stay conscious of all situations and going-ons.

Thanks PJ.

That's exactly what I am saying. We are the young alumni and while we don't currently have as much monetary sway as we will in later days we have to stay conscious of all situations and going-ons.

Update -

After a 10 week delay - the Missouri Department of Revenue gave me an UMSL license plate for a plate that says "BILLIKEN." 4-6 more weeks. Awesome government. Just awesome.

Update -

After a 10 week delay - the Missouri Department of Revenue gave me an UMSL license plate for a plate that says "BILLIKEN." 4-6 more weeks. Awesome government. Just awesome.

OH MY GOD DUDE! That was you!

The license folks at my office noticed the problem and asked me about it. (They are sweeties it wasn't their fault.)

It is hard to be a Billiken. I'm a newbie, as I graduated in 2008, but I believe our Bills are worth fighting for. As an aside, it will take me a longtime to get over the law school debacle, but I'm here to cheer on our Bills. I came to SLU based on my amazing Jesuit experience at Creighton. Many of my classmates/colleagues came from Jesuit universities across the country. Thinking about my class, we had people from Georgetown, Fordham, Creighton, Seattle, Gonzaga, Spring Hill, Loyola-Chicago, Loyola-New Orleans, Loyola-Marymount, Santa Clara, Rockhurst, SLU, and probably several others. There was a general feeling amongst us, that SLU was VERY different from our undergrad (Jesuit) experiences. It's also important to realize our students don't come from the dredges. In fact, one of my best friends from SLU came to us from U Chicago. We also had several Ivy League educated piers. Our top student/graduation speaker went to Kenyon College and had a PhD. before coming to SLU. The law school isn't a throw-away program. D***it.

We have nothing to be scared of. Period.

Cheers. Go Bills.

Yes, the hits just keep on coming. Yes, morale's getting worse -- plus these new proposals are drawing national attention. I love the word "eviscerate" used in the Chronical of Higher Education:

http://chronicle.com/article/Faculty-Review-Proposal-at/134022/?cid=at&utm_source=at&utm_medium=en

Not a good idea, though predictably I will now get to hear the boo hoo hoos from some on here. Oh those poor tenured faculty; get a grip and join the "real world" (I really do not know what world you think I live in btw)...

ps: I'm not worried about my life, by the way: higher ed. itself, as an "industry," is certainly in crisis mode; enrollments will go down 15-20% across the borad over the next 5 years, and schools are hustling for every nickel and dime. Worst of all: student debt, which now is more $$$ than credit card debt nationally. It's the secret debacle of our times, just one more problem nobody wants to confront. But don't get me started . . . . some readers on here know a lot already about student debt and its realities, especially as they serve up lattes with their fancy SLU degree with honors. That's the real tragedy.

Losing tenure is actually bad for students, bad for SLU's national reputation, and ultimately bad business.

Yes, the hits just keep on coming. Yes, morale's getting worse -- plus these new proposals are drawing national attention. I love the word "eviscerate" used in the Chronical of Higher Education:

http://chronicle.com...t&utm_medium=en

Not a good idea, though predictably I will now get to hear the boo hoo hoos from some on here. Oh those poor tenured faculty; get a grip and join the "real world" (I really do not know what world you think I live in btw)...

ps: I'm not worried about my life, by the way: higher ed. itself, as an "industry," is certainly in crisis mode; enrollments will go down 15-20% across the borad over the next 5 years, and schools are hustling for every nickel and dime. Worst of all: student debt, which now is more $$$ than credit card debt nationally. It's the secret debacle of our times, just one more problem nobody wants to confront. But don't get me started . . . . some readers on here know a lot already about student debt and its realities, especially as they serve up lattes with their fancy SLU degree with honors. That's the real tragedy.

Losing tenure is actually bad for students, bad for SLU's national reputation, and ultimately bad business.

While I would usually take this opportunity to bash academic types, this seems like a bad move for SLU. I think the idea of tenure is complete horseshit in any position. I agree that it would be bad business to move forward on something that will detract from the quality of education at SLU. I don't think SLU is in a position to lead the charge away from tenure faculty positions. Harvard? Yes. SLU? No.

Wow, this is a day which many thought would never happen. A professor referred to his profession as an industry. Despite the use of quotation marks in the original this is shocking. He also described the tenure plan as "bad business."

This stunning admission aside, I do agree with JMM above. Leading the charge with a policy like this at a University that is not a prestige destination in and of itself is suicidal. Creighton with tenure vs SLU without would not be a hard choice.....