Former SLU volleyball player shot and killed in the CWE

Is it just me or is it REALLY, REALLY weird that ABC News intentionally left out the race of the suspect? They literally copied the post from STLToday, pasted it onto their website, and went in and deleted "black" from the description, FFS, I dont want to make this about race but how are you supposed to have any chance of someone knowing the guy with a description like "in his early 20s and is around 5-foot-5 or 5-foot-6 with a thin build."

Do we know if we are any closer to catching this guy?? I would think there would be fingerprints all over the car.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or is it REALLY, REALLY weird that ABC News intentionally left out the race of the suspect? They literally copied the post from STLToday, pasted it onto their website, and went in and deleted "black" from the description, FFS, I dont want to make this about race but how are you supposed to have any chance of someone knowing the guy with a description like "in his early 20s and is around 5-foot-5 or 5-foot-6 with a thin build."

Do we know if we are any closer to catching this guy?? I would think there would be fingerprints all over the car.

I imagine professional investigators are checking for fingerprints. Even if there are fingerprints, it doesn't do you any good unless he has been booked before or they have a suspect.

No, it is not just you, it is a double standard. Happens all the time.

Sorry, this whole thing sickens me. Here's a girl in town to see college friends, going to her car to go to her alumni game, and she makes it nowhere because some thug/creep/degenarate decides it's not enough to rob an innocent girl; he has to shoot her in her car. Find him, try him, put him in the chair. I'm so tired of the anti-social behavior that hurts innocent people.

Don't be naive about the city and the higher crime that does happen more regularly than in other areas of St. Louis: https://www.crimereports.com/ I am in around SLU on a semi-regular basis, lived there for four years when the local Mercantile would get robbed every now and then, watched the area transform from "Don't go north on Grand" and being called a honky freshman year as I walked out of the Shell station to what we see now, and it's all been great to participate and watch the evolution. Just there on Saturday night for the SLU soccer game and PW pizza with the wife and kid and still just in awe of the area just north of campus on Lindell. BUT, my perspective of safety, and risk thereof, has changed a lot since getting married and having a kid. And it will remain that way until a distant time in the future. This event and the other senseless acts of random violence around the city hurting innocent people makes me more sensitive, but not paranoid to avoid the area all together.

Off the soap box for our regularly scheduled report on soccer : )

Armed robbery and seemingly little trouble shooting an innocent girl -- my guess is the suspect has priors, but we shall see.

I wouldn't be so sure. This guy defied logic at every turn- broad daylight, busy intersection in one of the busiest and most densely populated neighborhoods in the City, didn't bail after a loud argument that drew attention, fired his gun at least twice and then didn't even take the car or any of her belongings. Nothing about that sequence of events says 'criminal mastermind' - it tells me he's either very young/inexperienced (a wannabe criminal) or out of his mind on one drug or another.

Also, a few posters in this thread are apparently trying to rival STLToday commenters in terms of sheer ignorance. Please don't use this girl's death to try to make a point. It takes a sick mind to take this awful situation and try to use it to support your political beliefs.

Didn't Steve ask all of us not to let this thread devolve into a discussion on guns and the city? Yet, instead, we have posters not only doing that, but also trying to get race mixed into the conversation as well. If you want to spew your political points and beliefs in relation to this tragic event, then go to STLToday, Yahoo.com or any of the other news sites and do so. I would think we would be respectful enough on this board to keep those types of incendiary opinions to ourselves.

No politics here, just total sadness. There are some really amazing kids who have represented our school that I can remember over the past 20 or so years. Reading some of the bios each year, we alums have alot to be proud about. This young lady appears to be one of them. Its such a ridiculous tragedy.

Didn't Steve ask all of us not to let this thread devolve into a discussion on guns and the city? Yet, instead, we have posters not only doing that, but also trying to get race mixed into the conversation as well. If you want to spew your political points and beliefs in relation to this tragic event, then go to STLToday, Yahoo.com or any of the other news sites and do so. I would think we would be respectful enough on this board to keep those types of incendiary opinions to ourselves.

Sorry, that was not my intention. I was just pissed that a new organization would not give every bit of identifying information out on a suspect when the suspect has not been apprehended yet. Especially when the information was already there in the first place.

Sorry, that was not my intention. I was just pissed that a new organization would not give every bit of identifying information out on a suspect when the suspect has not been apprehended yet. Especially when the information was already there in the first place.

That was a weird omission. Maybe they were trying to be as cautious as possible, given the conflicting reports from witnesses. If they can't report with 100% certainty that description, maybe they're holding back. But it does seem like a hard detail to mess up, even if the witnesses have been all over the place on sequence of events and the description of his height and possible age. For what it's worth, the two most recent stltoday.com articles have no physical description of the suspect.

The police are holding a press conference this afternoon. They'll be announcing a reward to help catch the guy.

In the two most recent updates on STLToday.com, they are not giving a description now. Also, they have amended the statement that Boken knew her assailant, as that was initially put out in the first few updates. It is possible that the ABC News piece decided not to give a full description as facts of the case were constantly changing. As the police are going to give a press conference soon, maybe it is best not to get the public whipped into a frenzy looking for an individual fitting a certain description when information is still fluid, especially as different descriptions have been given out in the past 24 hours.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/st-louis-police-robbery-attempt-led-to-killing-of-ex/article_5ba68fde-3d45-5164-a756-f4a5f4ac6fbc.html

That was a weird omission. Maybe they were trying to be as cautious as possible, given the conflicting reports from witnesses. If they can't report with 100% certainty that description, maybe they're holding back. But it does seem like a hard detail to mess up, even if the witnesses have been all over the place on sequence of events and the description of his height and possible age. For what it's worth, the two most recent stltoday.com articles have no physical description of the suspect.

The police are holding a press conference this afternoon. They'll be announcing a reward to help catch the guy.

Wow! Did we really post almost the same exact response at the same time?

Wow! Did we really post almost the same exact response at the same time?

It appears so. Great minds. Here's an update. The new points:

-They have "no concrete leads."

-They still think the most likely scenario is a botched robbery.

-There is a $10,000 reward for information.

-They believe she struggled with her killer.

-There is no surveillance tape, as the cameras are for live monitoring and did not record anything.

-Funeral arrangements have not yet been set.

Shouldn't Slay's Press Secretary be fired over her tweet that Megan "knew" her killer?

I would think this should be an offense that would warrant termination anywhere. However city politics operate under their own rules.

Shouldn't Slay's Press Secretary be fired over her tweet that Megan "knew" her killer?

I would think this should be an offense that would warrant termination anywhere. However city politics operate under their own rules.

My money is on that theory...that she DID know her killer.

No surprise the liberal version of The Borg write the same thing at the same time.

You are a disgrace. Have some compassion and save the political b.s. for some other forum.

My heart breaks for this girl and her family/friends. I hope everyone can use this thread to express their condolences and leave all the other sh!t out of it.

It looks like funeral arrangements have now been set in her hometown of Wheaton, IL. STLToday.com has updated their most recent story with the details of both the visitation and the funeral service:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/police-chief-makes-public-appeal-in-killing-of-ex-slu/article_5ba68fde-3d45-5164-a756-f4a5f4ac6fbc.html

You are a disgrace. Have some compassion and save the political b.s. for some other forum.

My heart breaks for this girl and her family/friends. I hope everyone can use this thread to express their condolences and leave all the other sh!t out of it.

Typical.

Several posters showed some courage and cited the dangers of certain areas of the city. And for obvious reasons. One even provided stats.

Another noted that the description provided by several witnesses was suddenly removed by the media; why?

So to the rescue comes bizzleboy and Pistol, now you jump on me. You are a joke.

This situation is disgusting, but lets face the facts and deal with them. We should not ignore them.

My money is on that theory...that she DID know her killer.

-you are closer to this than most of us so you have your reasons for your theory, i just hope they catch the sob very soon and he fries or gets injected whatever we do these days in Missouri and her family and friends can somehow find peace

-what an interview tonight on fox2 with her friend, wow

Typical.

Several posters showed some courage and cited the dangers of certain areas of the city. And for obvious reasons. One even provided stats.

Another noted that the description provided by several witnesses was suddenly removed by the media; why?

So to the rescue comes bizzleboy and Pistol, now you jump on me. You are a joke.

This situation is disgusting, but lets face the facts and deal with them. We should not ignore them.

Go fuok yourself. This thread is not the time or place for your bullsh!t. This goes beyond our immaterial squabbles and name calling.

Sorry for responding to this jerk. Thanks to those keeping the thread on track. As a father with a daughter, this one really hits home. I am truly gutted by this.

No. Her statement was based on what the police department was reporting at the time.

Honestly can't believe the police department would pass on any type of immediate SPECULATION, such as this, to the point where it is being reported by news outlets less than 24 hours after the crime. Makes me sick.

Also, this might be straight ignorance on my part, but what is the point of the "live cameras" if no one's watching them(?)... is it that expensive to have them record all day, and then delete and start over if nothing significant happens? Seems like something pretty reasonable taxpayers could actually get behind.