Former SLU volleyball player shot and killed in the CWE

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. I wonder how they've been implemented- how many, where located, and so forth.

I believe the cameras were added just last year. While they probably serve as a crime deterrent to some degree, where they really help is in identifying and prosecuting criminals, especially given today's "no snitching" culture.

I believe the cameras were added just last year. While they probably serve as a crime deterrent to some degree, where they really help is in identifying and prosecuting criminals, especially given today's "no snitching" culture.

For sure. I'm curious, though, as to whether putting cameras in one neighborhood/ward just pushes the same crimes to surrounding areas. Crime may be down in his ward- what about the ones next to his? So it then becomes a question of whether they're useful everywhere, and how people in other wards would respond to them. Now that there's been one well-publicized homicide in the CWE, would the people who live there be receptive to cameras on every corner?

2.6 million live in the City of Chicago not including the collar counties or surrounding suburbs of Cook County.

318 thousand live in the City of St. Louis not including St Louis County and suburbs or the Metro East and suburbs.

St.Louis City population is 12% of the City of Chicago.

12% of 42 is 5. Therefore the shooting rate in St.Louis City is greater per person than in the City of Chicago.

42 divided by 2.6 million is .0162%

7 divided by 318 thousand is .0201%

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......................

For sure. I'm curious, though, as to whether putting cameras in one neighborhood/ward just pushes the same crimes to surrounding areas. Crime may be down in his ward- what about the ones next to his? So it then becomes a question of whether they're useful everywhere, and how people in other wards would respond to them. Now that there's been one well-publicized homicide in the CWE, would the people who live there be receptive to cameras on every corner?

So if you put the cameras in enough "neighborhoods", the crackhead violent crimes would go to Ladue, Frontenac, DePeres, Town and Country, Chesterfield, Manchester, Ballwin, and Ellisville?

So if you put the cameras in enough "neighborhoods", the crackhead violent crimes would go to Ladue, Frontenac, DePeres, Town and Country, Chesterfield, Manchester, Ballwin, and Ellisville?

Hopefully this isn't a serious question, since Pistol was clearly asking a question/theorizing himself, and not stating fact. Maybe brush up on a little reading comprehension.. (also, "neighborhoods" in quotes? nice.)

We don't know the answer to that yet, as cameras haven't been used on a wide enough scale in STL. And as I said, the cameras are particularly helpful in finding and prosecuting people who have committed crimes.

Hopefully this isn't a serious question, since Pistol was clearly asking a question/theorizing himself, and not stating fact. Maybe brush up on a little reading comprehension.. (also, "neighborhoods" in quotes? nice.)

Thank you. I was also referring to the neighborhoods immediately adjacent to places where cameras have gone up or could go up- not distant suburbs.

We don't know the answer to that yet, as cameras haven't been used on a wide enough scale in STL. And as I said, the cameras are particularly helpful in finding and prosecuting people who have committed crimes.

Right. ID is the key.

I was just posing mine as a rhetorical question, based on seeing how Chicago has made certain main thoroughfares more safe for people to walk, shop, and so forth, but that those neighborhoods overall haven't seen big decreases in crime.

Also, the reward for information is now up to $31,000.

that's good to hear. sounds like about the salary of an entry-level customer service or janitorial job. one of his crew could either get a job or take the easy way out (again) and just confess for him. easy money either way. and either one would benefit society for a change...

I know some people on this board think you funny but half the time I think your obnoxious.

I agree Willie. I tolerate it but much of the time his posts are inappropriate and way over the line. He fails to consider who may be on this board.

I think you're failing to consider the same thing... and 50/50 is actually a pretty good ratio for said board.

What was so obnoxious about suggesting that a friend of a criminal would roll his buddy for 31k? Seems like a perfectly reasonable idea to be. They might have based the reward idea on that premise exactly. We may never know.

What was so obnoxious about suggesting that a friend of a criminal would roll his buddy for 31k? Seems like a perfectly reasonable idea to be. They might have based the reward idea on that premise exactly. We may never know.

Agree.

jimbofive's post was fine.

Another update: http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/cellphone-played-big-role-in-arrest-of-two-in-central/article_25de4910-ed40-11e1-a428-0019bb30f31a.html

They have two suspects, both 18. They tracked the call records of a cell phone stolen in an 8/10 armed robbery and contacted a woman whose number showed up frequently. She said one of the thieves was her boyfriend and he told her about being involved in Boken's murder. Good for her for turning him over. Nice police work, too. No charges yet. Hopefully they're able to put it all together with these two.

Another update: http://www.stltoday....19bb30f31a.html

They have two suspects, both 18. They tracked the call records of a cell phone stolen in an 8/10 armed robbery and contacted a woman whose number showed up frequently. She said one of the thieves was her boyfriend and he told her about being involved in Boken's murder. Good for her for turning him over. Nice police work, too. No charges yet. Hopefully they're able to put it all together with these two.

Indeed.