OT: NBA Draft

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? Maybe you're right, but some support for this statement would help your argument out. Of course, you prefer to just assert that statistics support your argument without actually citing any.

Toby Moskowitz, U of Chicago Professor, has written about travel as a factor in performance across sports and has found no relationship between distance traveled and away team performance. He writes mostly about professional sports so it may be different for college (but I doubt it). He has a book *Scorecasting* that supposed to be real good but I have not read it.

If travel across time zones was a big factor in relative performance, the U. of Hawaii would have a better home court advantage. The last time I looked they were a little above average in college ball over a few years but nothing I would consider significant or proof.

Toby Moskowitz, U of Chicago Professor, has written about travel as a factor in performance across sports and has found no relationship between distance traveled and away team performance. He writes mostly about professional sports so it may be different for college (but I doubt it). He has a book *Scorecasting* that supposed to be real good but I have not read it.

If travel across time zones was a big factor in relative performance, the U. of Hawaii would have a better home court advantage. The last time I looked they were a little above average in college ball over a few years but nothing I would consider significant or proof.

Like I believe what some foo foo commie professor has to say. Nice try, kwyjibo.

Brad Beal + Kyrie Irving.. that's a team I'd pay to see.

The Bobcats should make that deal with the Cavs. It gives Cleveland a young, explosive backcourt and it gives Charlotte a good pick (#4), as well as a couple of other picks to fill out their roster (#24 and #33.) They might luck into Kidd-Gilchrist, but if not, they still have Thomas Robinson and Harrison Barnes sitting there at #4.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/38404/west-coast-teams-uphill-fight-with-nfl

2005-2010 Road Records: West Coast Teams

Team 10 a.m. PT Later Totals San Francisco 49ers 6-27 6-9 12-36 Oakland Raiders 9-21 4-14 13-35 Arizona Cardinals 8-19 8-13 16-32 Seattle Seahawks 10-16 7-15 17-31 San Diego Chargers 12-11 16-9 28-20 Totals 45-94 41-60 86-154

West Coast teams coming east have a 32% chance of winning when playing early and a 40% chance of winning when playing later. Maybe the sample size isn't big enough, and this is football not basketball, but football fans on the west coast have been complaining about this for years. Whether their griping is warranted is not in my hands.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/38404/west-coast-teams-uphill-fight-with-nfl

2005-2010 Road Records: West Coast Teams

Team 10 a.m. PT Later Totals San Francisco 49ers 6-27 6-9 12-36 Oakland Raiders 9-21 4-14 13-35 Arizona Cardinals 8-19 8-13 16-32 Seattle Seahawks 10-16 7-15 17-31 San Diego Chargers 12-11 16-9 28-20 Totals 45-94 41-60 86-154

West Coast teams coming east have a 32% chance of winning when playing early and a 40% chance of winning when playing later. Maybe the sample size isn't big enough, and this is football not basketball, but football fans on the west coast have been complaining about this for years. Whether their griping is warranted is not in my hands.

Yep.

It is common knowledge that west coast teams struggle on short trips when they play early day games in CST or EST. NCABB, NFL, etc. (bowl games are different, they are there for a week or more and adjust).

Ask your bookie.

There are tons of stats on it.

Just a few yrs ago NFL west coast teams went 0-10 at the start of the yr in this situation, they even commmented on ESPN.

Common knowledge.

Had there been a plane wreck with every other college player in the USA on it, he would have had a shot .... I mean chance

Didnt some idiot on here think last year that Cassity would get drafted?

I hate it when posters take brutal shots at kids that played their hearts out for our Billikens. He contributed a lot. Show some class.

Yep.

It is common knowledge that west coast teams struggle on short trips when they play early day games in CST or EST. NCABB, NFL, etc. (bowl games are different, they are there for a week or more and adjust).

Ask your bookie.

There are tons of stats on it.

Just a few yrs ago NFL west coast teams went 0-10 at the start of the yr in this situation, they even commmented on ESPN.

Common knowledge.

So, one professor who studied this topic came up with a conclusion that doesn't support your assertion. Then there is one study of one NFL division over a five year period showing an 8% difference. Hardly conclusive.

You asserted there were stats to support your statement. Well, let's see 'em. I'm willing to be persuaded. Or is this just another MB special where you say there is evidence to support your statement but you don't actually provide the evidence?

So, one professor who studied this topic came up with a conclusion that doesn't support your assertion. Then there is one study of one NFL division over a five year period showing an 8% difference. Hardly conclusive.

You asserted there were stats to support your statement. Well, let's see 'em. I'm willing to be persuaded. Or is this just another MB special where you say there is evidence to support your statement but you don't actually provide the evidence?

The only true, acceptable facts are the bizzle facts. All else is conjecture.