OT new NCAA recruiting ruling

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/19354991/once-banned-college-coaches-now-can-call-text-recruits-all-they-want

unlimited texts and phone calls going forward. i guess call it the sampson rule.

i feel sorry for the kids.

that said, i have no problem with the rule. i have long said, if i was ncaa king, the only rules would be academic based and a hell of a lot tougher than they are now. let the idiot coaches do, promise, deliver whatever they want. but the kids need to truly be academic eligible from beginning to end. clamp down on academics and i have long believed all problems go away.

i cant imagine having a phone and being a college recruit going forward.

http://www.cbssports...s-all-they-want

unlimited texts and phone calls going forward. i guess call it the sampson rule.

i feel sorry for the kids.

that said, i have no problem with the rule. i have long said, if i was ncaa king, the only rules would be academic based and a hell of a lot tougher than they are now. let the idiot coaches do, promise, deliver whatever they want. but the kids need to truly be academic eligible from beginning to end. clamp down on academics and i have long believed all problems go away.

i cant imagine having a phone and being a college recruit going forward.

Agree, roy.

Also, i'm sure this essentially happened prior to today, but it was funneled through street agents/AAU pimps. If it's already happening, why not let the coaches do it and cut out one small connection between the schools and these AAU scum.

I suspect this is a bad thing for our current coaching staff. I doubt RM has ever done much with social media and relative to our competition I suspect our assistants aren't on the more aggresive side.

I'm not saying we'll no longer be able to compete for recruits, but at the margin this likely hurts.

I suspect this is a bad thing for our current coaching staff. I doubt RM has ever done much with social media and relative to our competition I suspect our assistants aren't on the more aggresive side.

I'm not saying we'll no longer be able to compete for recruits, but at the margin this likely hurts.

Majerus doesn't even use email. I'm not sure he knows how to text. It could be favorable for SLU for one of the reasons Roy points out above: recruits are going to be absolutely bombarded with coaches contacting them. Maybe a lot of kids will be more attracted to a program less aggressive with the amount of contact but still recruiting them. I wouldn't want to go play for Josh Pastner at Memphis if he's sending me 50 texts a day and calling at all hours. I'd rather go somewhere respecting my time while recruiting me. Just a thought.

If I was a parent it'd be simple, if you want to recruit my kid, you follow these ground rules. Break them ONCE, you're out. No exceptions.

+1. Good posts from you and pistol. And I wouldnt imagine Majerus would be interested in the attention-hungry kids who want to be texted 24/7.

I'm just happy the NCAA has finally caught up with the times, and removed all restrictions for middle-aged men to text and call high school kids on an unlimited basis. No bad can possibly come from this.

According to Cusumano, Alden was actively involved with pushing for this new rule. Apparently he served on the committee. Mid-majors hate this new rule. Majerus also doesn't like it.

Just one less possible rules violation for Mizzou to be convicted of!!

For all who don't think Mi$$ou cannot hang with the SEC schools, let me remind everyone how rampant cheating/Detroit connection was under Norm (though Daly alone took the fall), how much cheating and lack of institutional control existed under Quin (Ricky Clemmons and his 24 hours of credit over a summer with JUCO fixing grades, racist discussions by the President's wife on jailhouse tapes, probation violations at the President's home residence, major under acheivement on the court while recruitment of sex offenders awaiting trial (and again the assistant coach takes the fall), multiple DWI and gun offenses under Anderson who did abide by his no tolerance stance and recruited players like that Texas kid who couldn't graduate/get his high school credits but which Mi$$ou had accepted and tried to enroll and now Frank Haith who violated how many NCAA rules at Miami (still pending I guess) and then who violated more NCAA rules by talking publicly about non-committed recruits on the first or tow of day of his job? You watch, Mi$$ou will continue this "tradition" forward under Haith and beyond. No, Mi$$ou is closer to Alabama and LSU than most think.

What a difference. As a kid, I used to love and follow the basketball Tigers with Stiponovich, Sundvold, Berry, Fraiser, Dressler... and hated the football program with embarrasing losses to Oklahoma, Nebraska every year. Ever since the Detroit Connection, I cannot stand Mizzou basketball. I laughed at Mizzou football under the Warren Powers and Woody's Wagon and Bob Stull days, took notice of Mizzou under Larry Smith and now really like and pull for Gary Pinkel.