'12-'13 front line on the surface

slu72

Roy is now a Rick Majerus apologist? Hell hath frozen over. Go back and listen to the recent Mike and Mike interview. Rick very distinctly says that Conklin is done playing basketball, that he would NOT cash a paycheck playing basketball and has to move on in life. That's just plain stupid. What would you think if you are a European club considering signing Conklin and you hear his respected college coach say this? Rick talks in hyperbole. I get that but just wish he would stop with the negative hyperbole about our own players. There is no point to the exercise of talking down your own players to the media.

apologist? i have time and time again lauded his basketball mind. my issues with majerus arent about basketball directly. no more discussion about it because it only p!sses the rest of you off.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After some short research:

Josh Fisher is 31, still playing in Spain.

Marque Perry is 31, he is bouncing from team to team in Europe but still playing.

Kevin Lisch is a star in Australia.

Ian Vouyoukus is playing in Greece and has made appearances with the Greek national team.

Luke Meyer is playing in Australia.

Danny Brown played in Mexico.

Tommie Liddell played in Uruguay.

Dwayne Polk is playing for the St. Louis Pioneers.

Just based on this, I would imagine that Mitchell, McCall, Jett, Evans, Conk, Ellis, and Loe will all cash checks somewhere.

tommie liddell was playing in uraguay he parked cars for slu this past season.

I see your point, but as one of the ring leaders of the Majerus brigade, I feel obligated to step in. When RM says stuff like BC had no other D1 offers and he is not a pro, yes he is stretching the truth, but I think the angle he is coming from is that this is a guy who has truly maximized his potential. I view it as RM's way of praising him for becoming an all-conference player when he is not the most athletically gifted. RM loves the narrative of the underdog and the overachiever.

I have no doubt Rick loves Conk. My point is he needs to stop talking down the talent on his own team to the press. Do it in the locker room if you please but NOT ON NATIONAL RADIO. It was fine when he first arrived and the point may have been to lower fan expectations. We find ourselves in a different place. It'S pure bull**** to say we have no pros on our team and people like Bernie Miklasz don't know enough about college basketball or have not seen the Billikens enough to understand Rick is talking out his ass when he says such things. So Bernie writes an article demeaning our program as the little engine that could all the while clueless to the true talent level we possess ... and augmenting the public perception that we throw out a bunch of stiffs on the court who just play with big heart to win. I'm sick of our players getting talked down by the media. Majerus aids and abets this bull****. Please stop it coach.

I have no doubt Rick loves Conk. My point is he needs to stop talking down the talent on his own team to the press. Do it in the locker room if you please but NOT ON NATIONAL RADIO. It was fine when he first arrived and the point may have been to lower fan expectations. We find ourselves in a different place. It'S pure bull**** to say we have no pros on our team and people like Bernie Miklasz don't know enough about college basketball or have not seen the Billikens enough to understand Rick is talking out his ass when he says such things. So Bernie writes an article demeaning our program as the little engine that could all the while clueless to the true talent level we possess ... and augmenting the public perception that we throw out a bunch of stiffs on the court who just play with big heart to win. I'm sick of our players getting talked down by the media. Majerus aids and abets this bull****. Please stop it coach.

I heard several of the pundits on TV, including the coach from Villanova, talking about our team very favorably and saying that our athleticism is underrated. One went so far to say that our team is athletic and the coach is playing a game when he poor mouths his roster, etc. The fact is that many of our guys are very athletic and we have smarts and quickness. If you watch our dunking in the warmups and see KM way over the rim or JJ ripping down the rim or even Manning getting way up, it is a myth that we do not have athletic players. I agree with Roy that the coach is really commenting on the NBA chances of his kids, regardless of how he says it. I actually believe that Rob Loe has the best chance for the NBA if he can improve as much from his soph year to his senior year as Conklin did. If he gets stronger and can hit the open 3 more consistantly, he could be a big time player. His defense improved so much this year that I was amazed!

he can play somewhere. might not be europe worthy as most of those leagues have the crazy "two american per roster" rule, but you know he can play somewhere. he is without a doubt as good or better than luke and luke is still playing pro in australia.

Luke is actually back home and working for a bank in New Haven.

I've probably ranted on this topic too much already but I finally found the quote from Bernie Miklasz that set me off--

"These Billikens will never play in the NBA, collect a dollar from a pro basketball league or be celebrated for their showy offensive theatrics on ESPN SportsCenter."

http://www.therepubl...COLUMN_7539638/

Bernie is a good reporter. He might not know college basketball but he traveled with the Billikens to Columbus and most certainly spoke with Rick Majerus while there. I am confident Bernie got the "never collect a dollar from a pro basketball league" quote from Rick. Those are exactly the same words Rick Majerus uttered in regards to Brian Conklin on national radio. Apparently Rick said the same thing to Bernie in reference to the whole team and Bernie, not understanding that Rick was blowing smoke out his ass, printed it. Don't publicly demean your children. Never. These players are Rick's kids. He needs to be careful about the accuracy of what he states to the press about his own players.

I agree completely jjray. Danny Brown played professional basketball. You don't need to be a superstar to play professionally somewhere.

During an interview recently RM just flat out said Cody and Rob are soft. I'm sure he has plenty of harsh words for them in practice but I don't see why he has to say things like this publicly. He's a brilliant basketball mind but doesn't have the greatest social skills in the world.

I agree completely jjray. Danny Brown played professional basketball. You don't need to be a superstar to play professionally somewhere.

During an interview recently RM just flat out said Cody and Rob are soft. I'm sure he has plenty of harsh words for them in practice but I don't see why he has to say things like this publicly. He's a brilliant basketball mind but doesn't have the greatest social skills in the world.

Rick said Cody and Rob were soft in the same ESPN radio interview on Mike and Mike wherein he said Conklin will never cash a check from playing basketball. The point may be somewhat true about Cody and Rob but for the life of me I see absolutely no benefit to making such a statement to the national media. Say that privately to the kids if you feel it necessary but don't embarrass the kids on national radio.

Rick said Cody and Rob were soft in the same ESPN radio interview on Mike and Mike wherein he said Conklin will never cash a check from playing basketball. The point may be somewhat true about Cody and Rob but for the life of me I see absolutely no benefit to making such a statement to the national media. Say that privately to the kids if you feel it necessary but don't embarrass the kids on national radio.

He speaks the truth. If Cody and Rob have an issue with what he is saying, they shouldn't play so soft. Just like saying someone doesn't have an outside shot. He's not saying they can't play ball. Although I will say, they do not play as soft as they did last season. Hopefully they can make some strides in that area of their game, so we won't hear that out of his mouth in the future. Cory needs help in that department as well, but I've about given up on him playing with any type of attitude/aggression/toughness/badassness/etc.

Loe has had NBA scouts come to watch him on multiple occasions. He needs to expand his game, but he has definite NBA potential. You listen to Rick talk and you would think Rick has only coached a couple of NBA players ever. You would never realize his runner up team at Utah had four future NBA players.

Perry was brought up earlier. He has been really succesful in europe. Even made the FIBA all-star team.

Icare and more importantly the players and their families care. Don't publicly demean your players. It's a simple concept based on mutual respect between the players and their coach. Nothing good comes of it.

I think at this point you are making a little too much of this whole thing. How do you know how the players and famliy feel about what Majerus says publicly? From my encounters with several of the families this past weekend, they had nothing but words of respect and love for Majerus. And all of their sons had had some harsh words said about them publicly by the coach. Those tears that both Conklin and Majerus shed on the podium were real, and expressed true emotion that they felt for not only each other, but everyone on that team. To me, at least, it seems like the players and their families have accepted Rick for who he is.

I care and more importantly the players and their families care. Don't publicly demean your players. It's a simple concept based on mutual respect between the players and their coach. Nothing good comes of it.

RM has been around the block a few times and I think he knows what he is doing. Currently we do not have any players that appear on any NBA draft boards. Maybe we will but right now we don't. I do not think that RM considers any league other than the NBA to be a true pro league. If Conk wants to play somewhere for 30k and have that experience I am sure he can make that happen. As far as demeaning players, he states the facts and I am sure that each and every player would agree with his critique if asked. It may sound harsh at times but it gets results. It obviously motivated Conklin. He apparently spent the entire summer working to get better at the things RM criticized him publicly many times for last year. Not sure where you are from, but life isn't always hugs and kisses. Huggs and kisses breads complacency and comfort in your status. Rob and Cody have to get stronger and more physical. You know it, I know it, and they know it. RM just wants us to know that he knows it too. I much prefer honesty than fantasy

Almost any D1 caliber player that wants to play overseas can. Heck, a lot of D2 players can even find a spot over there.

A friend of mine was all conference at Mo Bap, played in Russia and Israel for 5 years.

Baniak played in Germany for several seasons. Kenny Brown played overseas for 8 years. Marque is still playing in Russia. Dobbs played for a long time in Europe. Fergerson played for years as well.

A friend of mine was all conference at Mo Bap, played in Russia and Israel for 5 years.

Baniak played in Germany for several seasons. Kenny Brown played overseas for 8 years. Marque is still playing in Russia. Dobbs played for a long time in Europe. Fergerson played for years as well.

The Great Ruben Cotto played in Puerto Rico.

Don't like Rick saying our players can't play professionally? Get off the ###### bandwagon. If you think his comments to ESPN are going to hurt Conklin's chances of playing overseas, you are delusional. If a team from Europe calls Rick will give BC the highest praise ever.

JJ, ask BC's parents how they feel about Rick, since that's what you're so worried about. I'm positive that their response won't be near as negative as yours.

On my return trip back to Charleston after this year's game against Temple, I happened to pick up Rick Pitino's radio show. You should have heard him berating his players. "Clueless", "Out of Control", "Selfish", were just a few of the terms he used to describe some of his players. I guess some HC's see the media as a motivational tool. I mean his whole tone during that program was one of disgust with his team. Now they're in the sweet 16.

As for RM comments, I sense a little egotism is at play here, ie "I don't have any 5 stars or future pros, we're winning because I'm a damn genius when it comes to BB."

Damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Six of one, half-a-dozen of another. Pat on theback, kick in the butt. What does everyone want? Because I guarantee he won't be able to please everyone.

larry72 may be right on the self-perceived genius statement. He has kind of taken this Lazerus-like program and raised it up, yes? Maybe that's the legacy he wants.

I went back and watched the 2nd half of the Memphis game. About midway through the 2nd half, the Bills start making a run and Brando says that it looks like the athleticism of the Billikens has been undervalued. Giminski agrees and then says if you heard Majerus talk last night he made it sound like they would have a very difficult time keeping up with the athleticism of Memphis. I just had to laugh. RM is consistent about this narrative. I love it. Look at all the Memphis fans who visited our board prior to the game. They were absolutely convinced that their athleticism would overwhelm us. Obviously, that wasn't the case at all. In fact, with the exception of Barton, we were clearly at least their athletic equal and our guards were quicker.

Who cares if RM says we don't have "talent." It's designed to motivate our players to push themselves. That's not demeaning our program. What's important is winning. If RM is going to "talk down" the talent in the locker room, doesn't he also have to do it to an extent to the media in order to be consistent? What if the players hear one thing in the locker, but hear him say something completely different in the media. He would lose all credibility. While RM talks down our talent, he always talks up our competition. If you have listened to him over the years, you would think that the A-10 would be producing multiple NBA Lottery picks every year.

I heard several of the pundits on TV, including the coach from Villanova, talking about our team very favorably and saying that our athleticism is underrated. One went so far to say that our team is athletic and the coach is playing a game when he poor mouths his roster, etc. The fact is that many of our guys are very athletic and we have smarts and quickness. If you watch our dunking in the warmups and see KM way over the rim or JJ ripping down the rim or even Manning getting way up, it is a myth that we do not have athletic players. I agree with Roy that the coach is really commenting on the NBA chances of his kids, regardless of how he says it. I actually believe that Rob Loe has the best chance for the NBA if he can improve as much from his soph year to his senior year as Conklin did. If he gets stronger and can hit the open 3 more consistantly, he could be a big time player. His defense improved so much this year that I was amazed!

RM is a classic example of using the "underpromise and overdeliver" philosophy to his benefit. What good does it do to brag about your team to the media? If you win, the media will figure out that we're pretty darn good and maybe a little more athletic than lead to believe (see the Brando reference in this thread) and people will be pleasantly suprised and SLU is a great story. If we lose, it keeps the media and public from bashing us as frauds allowing the players to avoid having to deal with all the negativity.

RM clearly plays down our ability publicly when it suits his agenda...he did it when he first got to SLU and continues to do it. While I don't have first hand knowledge, hearing the way BC and KC speak about RM I am confident in saying the tone and message he delivers behind closed doors is much different that the "poor little 'ol SLU, we'll be lucky to compete" he feeds the media.

Don't like Rick saying our players can't play professionally? Get off the ###### bandwagon. If you think his comments to ESPN are going to hurt Conklin's chances of playing overseas, you are delusional. If a team from Europe calls Rick will give BC the highest praise ever.

JJ, ask BC's parents how they feel about Rick, since that's what you're so worried about. I'm positive that their response won't be near as negative as yours.

Hey FDL, if you expect every fan to kiss the coach's ass when he does something disagreeable, then count me off the bandwagon. Great season by Rick. No question. But it does not change the fact that what he is saying to the media about our players is flat out wrong. Why he does it, god only knows.