great crowd!

BilliKat

Other crowd observations:

-People overall were pretty cool about wearing the white shirts. My wife, in her Xavier hoodie, was the only exception I saw in 118, much to Box's dismay. Sitting right by the students, I was surprised no one gave her a rough time. SLU fans are nice. There was a guy who accidentally put his balloon in her face late in the game, and she shoved it away. They both apologized when he looked horrified. I don't get the SLU fans that didn't wear the shirt.

-The wedge was finally alive last night. Every time Xavier went in or out of the tunnel, they were all over them, screaming at the top of their lungs. Most X players were good about ignoring it, but when Tu went in the last time before the game and at halftime, he put his hand up for high-fives. Not after the game! They were also getting the "Hey Frease, You Suck!" chant going, and the first time (after Frease's second foul, which admittedly should have been on Robinson), Frease bumped his chest twice and put his fist out to them. Also, contrary to some previous posts, they were successful in getting a "Zip 'em up!" chant going. One guy had a "Zip Me Up" shirt that said "Gangster" on the back (his handwriting was worse than a third grader's, but still), and a guy with an afro wig had a "Zip 'Em Up" sign. I couldn't see any big heads from my seats because they stood the whole game.

-When the students started chanting "N-I-T!" at the end, Mack's body language said it all. I could just feel it weighing on those coaches and players. Brutal.

-Shame on the people who did leave early. Much better crowd stuck around than in years past, but there's no excuse for ignoring the contributions of four-year players and managers.

-Beer sales appeared to be brisk last night. Lines were long in the concourse. Lots of students were holding cups. Nice work, everyone.

The credit for the wedge goes to the Sig Eps. Absolutely BROUGHT IT last night.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The credit for the wedge goes to the Sig Eps. Absolutely BROUGHT IT last night.

Yeah, I saw some of their gear (in white!) and also some Delta Sig stuff (I think- I get them all mixed up). Anyway, awesome job by those guys and I'm hoping they walk away from this having had a blast and wanting to do it more than once next year.

-Beer sales appeared to be brisk last night. Lines were long in the concourse. Lots of students were holding cups. Nice work, everyone.

This was both good and bad. I think they let the walking vendors sell a bit too long. The one many of you call Blue Sportcoat Guy bought a couple beers with about 6 minutes left in the game.

Facilities management also needs to step it up a bit keeping the bathrooms stocked at big-crowd games. The one behind 108 was out of paper towels at halftime.

This was both good and bad. I think they let the walking vendors sell a bit too long. The one many of you call Blue Sportcoat Guy bought a couple beers with about 6 minutes left in the game.

Facilities management also needs to step it up a bit keeping the bathrooms stocked at big-crowd games. The one behind 108 was out of paper towels at halftime.

The paper towel supply wouldn't be a problem if you used the restroom behind the student section (closest one to my section, 118). I think I may have been the only one to wash my hands the time I was in there.

The one guy was CLEARLY repeatedly shoving the cop while screaming in his face. My brother was going, "Tase him! Tase the ######!" I thought they were about to get cuffed when the third guy ran away, but never saw it happen. They settled down and were apparently talking through it and then I paid attention to the senior night stuff. But when it started, everyone around us was staring over there. I felt bad for the seniors for a little bit. I can't believe how calm the cops and security guards were. In that situation, they had every right to be tougher.

You know the crowd is big time when you have brawls in the crowd.

Raiders fans....consdiered some of the best

Philly fans........considered the rowdiest

Cub fans..........havent won in years but still sell out, get drunk, get loud, and fight

NYG....great fans, have about one fight a game

On a different note I was not in my normal section last night and their was two men with twh small children with them. The kids were probably about 2 and 4. At half I was heading to the John and the guy tells me "We are leaving at half if you know people looking to sit together"

I declined and said "I guess these 8 PM starts are tough when you have little ones with you"

his reply "It wouldnt matter to me but I had to beg the wife to let us come." She finally agreed as long as we left at half."

Me: "Man, youve got to lay down the law with the old lady"

Him "Usually I try but she said if we stay for the entire game I wont be getting any until summer, and she will make sure to have tons of house work to do the first week of the NCAA Tournamnet"

Cant argue with that guy for leaving.

THe wifey through the haymaker and it landed.

On a different note I was not in my normal section last night and their was two men with twh small children with them. The kids were probably about 2 and 4. At half I was heading to the John and the guy tells me "We are leaving at half if you know people looking to sit together"

I declined and said "I guess these 8 PM starts are tough when you have little ones with you"

his reply "It wouldnt matter to me but I had to beg the wife to let us come." She finally agreed as long as we left at half."

Me: "Man, youve got to lay down the law with the old lady"

Him "Usually I try but she said if we stay for the entire game I wont be getting any until summer, and she will make sure to have tons of house work to do the first week of the NCAA Tournamnet"

Cant argue with that guy for leaving.

THe wifey through the haymaker and it landed.

shoulda let that ***** know the pecking order... using sex as a weapon, as always.

Posted Image

I think the Franchise_08 and I have the same opinion, the crowd in the first half failed. I was stunned how the people behind the backboard did nothing but fold their arms during Free Throw Shots. The crowd was not a 6th man, more like a polite and gentle spectator. Tradition isn't built over night I guess. Hey the students tried.

This is BS. You had to have seen me or simply were not looking. I stood and waved my arms while X shot free throws. Every time X came down the court I was screaming like crazy at all of them trying to get their attention. I gave it to the refs all game. I have no voice today. I am one of the people X would see when shooting free throws as I sit on the aisle. Your comments are way off. I am assuming you were not there or had you been yelling yourself, there is no way you'd be making this analysis.

There was a 60+ year old woman in front of me standing and telling those all around to get on their feet.

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but did anyone else see that brawl in 115 right as the Senior Night stuff was starting? It was about halfway down the section, there were like 3 guys who appeared to be SLU fans, and one of them was absolutely screaming at a cop and shoving with him. There were 2 cops, 2 security guards, a couple ushers, and a couple Arena employees in the aisle trying to settle it down. There were a few shoves, and one of the guys booked it toward the exit. I didn't see any cuffs go on or anything. What the hell happened?

Wow, whaddaya know. People came to see a typical Xavier game, and a typical Xavier game broke out in the stands.

Wow, whaddaya know. People came to see a typical Xavier game, and a typical Xavier game broke out in the stands.

I'd love to know what happened and how it transpired.

I really wanted to think it was Xavier fans, but it appeared to be SLU fans. One had on a navy blue jacket, and squinting I could kind of make out the Billiken and the 'Saint Louis' athletic font. None of the three had their Blizzard shirts on, though. I'm surprised that given how many people were watching this go down as the Senior Night presentation started, no one has a handle on what triggered it.

It was the same spot and I think some of the same kids that started a similar situation at the Dayton game a couple of years ago. Some people can't handle their alchohol.

i saw what i thought was an X fan all dressed in black pulling away from some slu fans and cops on the chase, I'm just sayin, awesome.

It was the same spot and I think some of the same kids that started a similar situation at the Dayton game a couple of years ago. Some people can't handle their alchohol.

I was sitting in a friend's seats for that game and was right in the thick of the action. In that instance, it was a bunch of middle-aged Vesties who were the main perpetrators.

I was sitting in a friend's seats for that game and was right in the thick of the action. In that instance, it was a bunch of middle-aged Vesties who were the main perpetrators.

The guys were at the fieldhouse last night after the game.

They said Chris Mack and Xavier bench tried to have him thrown out after he started screaming N.I.T. at them. The ushers got forceful and then the situation blew up.

And BrianSTL I think you're right, they appeared to be the same group that got into it with Dayton fans.