Recruiting a big man

bbill

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm not mistaken, not during the summer.

http://www.ncaa.org/blog/2010/12/six-new-rules-for-the-new-year/

Read Bylaw 17:

Bylaw 17 (Playing and Practice Seasons) – All the Skill Instruction You Can Eat

During the offseason, student-athletes are limited to eight hours of practice per week. But there’s a second limit: only two hours of skill instruction is allowed. That means only two hours with bats, balls, sticks, and goals. Not to mention that during the beginning and end of an academic year, only four student-athletes can be involved in skill instruction at once.

Let’s give coaches eight hours per week and let them slice it and dice it however they want. As long as they keep giving two days off as well.

Yes we're going to have a very good team next year, but we at least need a threat in the paint. I hope Manning or Glaze can do that. Rob and Cody can get better in the post but their game will always be from the perimeter I think. Not sure if Cory is going to develop into the player we hoped for.

Regardless of who it is, somebody needs to develop the skills to score with their back to the basket...that's what Conklin has excelled at this season, and what we will be sorely missed next year. I'm less worried about the rebounding and more concerned with the low post presence that makes our offense flow. When Conk isn't in the game we look a little off due to the fact that we have no one to dump it to...

I'm also worried about the schedule for next season...If it is indeed true that we play Syracuse, UCLA, and a mystery Big 12 team along with going to Washington, New Mexico, and potentially Creighton or Butler, we need to develop someone right away who has the necessary inside game...

http://www.ncaa.org/...r-the-new-year/

Read Bylaw 17:

During the offseason, student-athletes are limited to eight hours of practice per week. But there’s a second limit: only two hours of skill instruction is allowed. That means only two hours with bats, balls, sticks, and goals. Not to mention that during the beginning and end of an academic year, only four student-athletes can be involved in skill instruction at once.

Let’s give coaches eight hours per week and let them slice it and dice it however they want. As long as they keep giving two days off as well.

-so does that mean the other 6 hours are weights or running? i wonder if therapy on an injury counts to this?

http://www.ncaa.org/...r-the-new-year/

Read Bylaw 17:

Thanks for that. I didn't know the rule had changed.

Regardless of who it is, somebody needs to develop the skills to score with their back to the basket...that's what Conklin has excelled at this season, and what we will be sorely missed next year. I'm less worried about the rebounding and more concerned with the low post presence that makes our offense flow.

I don't think we really know that yet.

I wish we could expect more from cory..

All may not be lost. I know they are two different players but, the starting center at Georgetown (Sims) averaged less than three points a game for his first three years. He is now one of the better big men in the Big East and has NBA scouts looking at him. He can score inside and put it on the floor as well as hit the 12 foot shot. Maybe next year Cory will finally play as well as RM thought he would when he first recruited him.

Regardless of who it is, somebody needs to develop the skills to score with their back to the basket...that's what Conklin has excelled at this season, and what we will be sorely missed next year. I'm less worried about the rebounding and more concerned with the low post presence that makes our offense flow. When Conk isn't in the game we look a little off due to the fact that we have no one to dump it to...

I'm also worried about the schedule for next season...If it is indeed true that we play Syracuse, UCLA, and a mystery Big 12 team along with going to Washington, New Mexico, and potentially Creighton or Butler, we need to develop someone right away who has the necessary inside game...

We played at New Mexico this year. Why would we not play them here next year?

I'm not really sure, but you know there are ways around that. Crews is only supposed to be helping out for this year so he could technically work with the big guys since he wouldn't be a coach. Not saying it's right, but it happens.

Based on what I've seen from Manning (which isn't much) he seems really mechanical when he's out there. If he can get more comfortable out there and really learn the offense, I think he'll be really good.

I had to get to the game 4 hours early on Saturday and I saw Glaze working on post moves with the coaches. They seem like the really want him to be able to contribute next year.

Jared Drew is supposed to be pretty good. He's 6'6 with a 6'10 wingspan. From what I've heard, he's a better shooter than Dwayne. (I agree with whoever said Dwayne needs to shoot a ton of shots this summer (free throws included)) I actually think he'll get a little bit of time next year. He could be at the 3 and Dwayne could be at the 4 in some lineup decisions. I don't really like Dwayne at the 4, but it could happen. A side note on Dwayne, he's a good rebounder but I notice that he likes to tip the ball to himself sometimes and sometimes it goes out of bounds or someone else grabs it. I remember one time in the Dayton game where KM got upset with Dwayne telling him to just grab the ball.

It sounds like Keith Carter is a stud. I see Kwamain really mentoring him next year. Not sure how much he'll play with all the guards we have. Either him or JB will probably get Cassity type minutes next year. (the minutes that he's played recently)

I hope JB can contribute next year. He still has the best looking shot in warmups and practice, but that hasn't translated to the game much. He'll need to really work hard this offseason.

McCall and Jordair just continue to get better. We're going to have a great backcourt for a long time.

Yes we're going to have a very good team next year, but we at least need a threat in the paint. I hope Manning or Glaze can do that. Rob and Cody can get better in the post but their game will always be from the perimeter I think. Not sure if Cory is going to develop into the player we hoped for.

• 3 years later...