71. Dayton

77. Duquesne

93. St. Bonnie

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the only way to buy the CD is to be in person at the arena?

I bought volume 2 ("Section 121") at Humphrey's during Christmas break. Not a retail item, stashed as a courtesy by the Band's "official" bar. Ask the bartender, thank them for selling it, maybe even have a cold one?

Didn't think to ask for a leftover Volume 1. Bummer.

Just as an aside, Humphrey was an old buddy of mine. When I was running out of money as a student, he got me a job with him on the second shift at American Can. $3.05/hour seemed like a fortune then....

Anyway, Sagarin in USA Today rates the Bills at 19 nationally-tops in the Atlantic 10.

Just woke up and realized that Temple plays 6 of its last 8 games at home for all practical purposes-2 of them across town in Philly. These Philly teams have a big advantage in the A10. An "away game" using a bus ticket is a big difference than flying off to play the Bonnies or Dayton.

Big road trip for the Bills this week in Philly. I'll be at the St. Joe game.

The Band is too big. They need to give up their seats and move to the upper bowl. Especially the old farts that refuse to move on. Those seats should be filled by rowdy students. Truly getting sick of hearing about the SLU band. True sign we have a long way to go in building a basketball program, when fans can get excited about a friggin pep band. Take the money that it takes to ship 30 stundents and their equipment and send 60 shirtless fans with painted faces.

The Band is too big. They need to give up their seats and move to the upper bowl. Especially the old farts that refuse to move on. Those seats should be filled by rowdy students. Truly getting sick of hearing about the SLU band. True sign we have a long way to go in building a basketball program, when fans can get excited about a friggin pep band. Take the money that it takes to ship 30 stundents and their equipment and send 60 shirtless fans with painted faces.

-minus one

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's an interesting topic to explore. I'll play devil's advocate here.

As we continue to trend upward on the court and more students come out to games, sometimes I think that about the idea to consolidate the band. I often re-watch games on DVR and the band can make the bleachers next to the students look extremely empty. The band is known for having rowdy and passionate fans in it. Why not put those alumni out in the regular seats(maybe give them a season or two free of tickets as a parting gift from the band), then push the band to the back of the bleacher section they are in and put students in front of them. This would allow us to fill the bleachers with more students and also fill much more regular seats throughout the arena.

I personally really like the band and it's very unique to the Chaifetz atmosphere and I enjoy their songs.

False, there would be less but none is absolute bullish!t. Go back and read my post. I said consolidate it not eliminate it. Move them back 20-25 feet. I also was qualifying my statement by putting it in the future if the success continued.

Calm down I was referring to the post by The Dude. But like I said there have been way too many games where the student section is not packed like it should be especially since tickets are included in tuition.

As a guy watching on TV or the internet, our band does appear extremely large. Neither a pro nor a con, just a fact. I was at the High Point/Gardner-Webb game this weekend and the HPU band occupied about three rows, 12 seats across, right under one basket. They were quite good and loud. Of course, HPU's home court is in the Gola/Rose Hill/Hagan seating class.

I was also in Cleveland for last year's opening round games featuring Ohio State, Syracuse, Mason, Xavier, Marquette, Indiana State, Texas-San Antonio and Nova and only Ohio State showed with numbers comparable to our home games. Of course, Cleveland/Columbus. The Mason band was the best.

As a guy watching on TV or the internet, our band does appear extremely large. Neither a pro nor a con, just a fact. I was at the High Point/Gardner-Webb game this weekend and the HPU band occupied about three rows, 12 seats across, right under one basket. They were quite good and loud. Of course, HPU's home court is in the Gola/Rose Hill/Hagan seating class.

I was also in Cleveland for last year's opening round games featuring Ohio State, Syracuse, Mason, Xavier, Marquette, Indiana State, Texas-San Antonio and Nova and only Ohio State showed with numbers comparable to our home games. Of course, Cleveland/Columbus. The Mason band was the best.

-guessing they would but does every school send their full band to the tourney?

05, first, while i love the increased student enthusiasm over the last few years, it is still inconsistent. they have to be front and center wall to wall every single game regardless of whether there is school in session or not. until then you dont take the only constant that is at that end of the floor and reduce the size and move them back.

second, the reason our band is as good as it is: the alumni members. they are the backbone of the band and without them you are asking for an uneven inconsistent product. with them, they flat out kick a$$ every single night.

if you want to start having the band or the students curl around the corners, i got no problem with that, but no way do you reduce or move back any aspect of either one.

Reason why reducing the size of the band is a nonstarter: THEY'VE BEEN THERE. Week in, week out, year in, year out, ever since the Polish director guy managed to throw together a rag-tag band of students and alumni to ensure that fans would never again have to endure the "Trumpeteers." You want their seats, EARN THEM. That'll only take you, at minimum, a decade.

Moving them up a few rows is an interesting concept -- there's a section behind them where they won't seat anyone save for the top row, because of the tubas -- but do you really think anyone would want to sit directly in front of them?

Reason why reducing the size of the band is a nonstarter: THEY'VE BEEN THERE. Week in, week out, year in, year out, ever since the Polish director guy managed to throw together a rag-tag band of students and alumni to ensure that fans would never again have to endure the "Trumpeteers." You want their seats, EARN THEM. That'll only take you, at minimum, a decade.

Moving them up a few rows is an interesting concept -- there's a section behind them where they won't seat anyone save for the top row, because of the tubas -- but do you really think anyone would want to sit directly in front of them?

+1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

One gripe, Bonwich- aren't those actually sousaphones and not tubas?