Spoon has passed away

bonwich

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a sad day for Billiken fans and I really admired the job Coach Spoon did. I remember having tears in my eyes the day my team the Saint Louis Billikens played Maryland in a 1st round game in the NCAA Tourney in Wichita, KS. I was so proud of that team and the fact that after all the years of watching and rooting for my team we had finally made the Big Dance. There were so many great memories during his time at SLU. I mean walking in the St. Louis Arena and seeing all the fans lined up to buy tickets for a game and then the large crowds night after night...I was in basketball Heaven in those years. I will Never forget Coach Spoon. RIP Charlie!

Now for the current team, dedicate the remainder of this year to his memory and get back to the promised land.

On the 101 ESPN radio site (maybe the same as already posted)

http://www.101sports.com/category/misc_blogs/20120201/Former-Saint-Louis,-UNLV-coach-Spoonhour-dies/#

Very cool memorial on the quad, guys - thanks for doing that. And a nice tribute at the game, too. Could see it on the video stream, but no sound, so not sure what was said.

Spoon was way before my time at SLU, but he certainly is a legend. RIP

Why is that shithead, SpartanBilliken, wearing a shirt, tie and basketball shorts? I wear goofy ###### on the reg and that's a first for me.

Thanks for the shout-out Jimbo. You've always been one of my favorite Billiken posters. To answer your question, it was warm outside, and I changed out of my dress pants.

On a different note, I just heard the Spoon idea got some publicity on fox news and they credited billikenfan

Thanks for the shout-out Jimbo. You've always been one of my favorite Billiken posters. To answer your question, it was warm outside, and I changed out of my dress pants.

On a different note, I just heard the Spoon idea got some publicity on fox news and they credited billikenfan

....billikenfan05 for the idea. Thanks for taking the credit zachary miller. Punk.

You know, if I was the AD or someone in the AD's office, I would right now put Easy Ed's number on a jersey with a Spoon underneath it. Or put Easy Ed's number in the Spoon. I'm old, and I cant remember two more guys than Easy Ed and the Spoon who had a more postive impact on SLU basketball than them. However, I sure would like to see RM carry this whole deal thru to the end. And thank you RM for paying tribute to the Spoon tonight.

As a kid I had mixed feeling about the hire. My family & friends were close to the Grawer coaching staff and as a child my access to the team was pretty unlimited, that ended with Spoon. My feelings changed after I experienced those crowds at the Arena. Those first few games where we sold out the Barn were some of the best times I've ever had at a sporting event.

I have to share other people's thoughts regarding Spoon's coaching prowess. I was able to attend 3 camps that he was present at as a child. He had a way of expressing really advanced technical basketball strategies but breaking it down so a 10 year old would understand them. Most other coaches I had as kid, including Coach Grawer and other college coaches at camps, either used jargon that was over kids heads and we were all just lost, or dumbed it down way too much.

First time I talked to Coach in person was when my father took me to West Pine to renew our tickets his first season. As we leaving Spoon was coming in, just getting out of his car. My father said something like Coach I just spent a lot of money on your team, so how good are you going to be this season? Spoon stopped us and said "Well we better go back in there and try to get your money back." He startted walking us back into the building completely deadpan. Eventually we convinced him we wouldn't be asking for any refunds. Spoon was always so self deprecating, I think that is what engendered him to so many people.

Other time I ran into him was Atlanta. I was a freshman in college (not SLU) but had convinced some buddies to roadtrip to Atlanta for the NCAA tourney. We were in the same hotel as the team, and the hotel was connected to a big mall. After we beat UMass we had been partying all night in the hotel and I had wandered down to the Mall early in the morning to get some coffee and breakfast. I walked into a some restaurant bar that had just opened and there is Spoon, who looked worse than me. I sat down next to him at the bar and talked his ear off for a half hour. When I got back to the hotel none of my friends believed I had breakfast with Spoon.

I have been busy most of the week, but could someone describe what was done at the game last night for Spoon?

A moment of silence after some nice words by our PA Guy prior to the anthem. A picture montage during halftime. The students held up plastic spoons during the moment of silence.