Guess who is in first place?

Billikan

I would guess we would be in sole possesion of first place due to the fact that we have more wins and less losses than any other team that is 4-2 in conference play. second place is umass, so we have a really important opportunity coming up. our boys have put themselves in a really great position. I know we are all really proud to be Billikens. Go Bills!

Go back and look how we've played all year. Yeah, some disturbing games, eg Temple (my fault, I shouldn't have travelled to the Fetz), UNM, Dayton, and especially that mis scheduled game against LMU (who?). But no one... make that no one... has blown us out. We've been in every one of 'em right up to the end. A shot here or there or hit some FT's, we're pretty much undefeated. But we're not, we're 15-4, and after we down UMass, 16-4, we'll stay atop the A-10. The D's doing it guys, and am sure RM won't let you forget it. Keep it going, Bills. The NCAA or BUST! Gotta happen for Conk and KC.

Go back and look how we've played all year. Yeah, some disturbing games, eg Temple (my fault, I shouldn't have travelled to the Fetz), UNM, Dayton, and especially that mis scheduled game against LMU (who?). But no one... make that no one... has blown us out. We've been in every one of 'em right up to the end. A shot here or there or hit some FT's, we're pretty much undefeated. But we're not, we're 15-4, and after we down UMass, 16-4, we'll stay atop the A-10. The D's doing it guys, and am sure RM won't let you forget it. Keep it going, Bills. The NCAA or BUST! Gotta happen for Conk and KC.

Oh no, we aren't either. We are 16-4 already.

I just want everyone to know that I searched for 10 minutes trying to find the appropriate Bruno clip to insert here. F'n copyrights.

Dayton, La Salle, UMass, St. Bonaventure, and SLU. There are 5 teams tied at 4-2.

You have to look who they beat. Bona for example has fatten up on URI and Fordham. We did get a lot of our tough road games behind us by playing UD and X. Also, Temple is no day at the beach home or away. With 10 games left, 5 home and 5 away, we need to defend the home court and at least go 3-2 on the road (one game is with URI which has not won a conference game), we should be all right going to AC.

My feelings is Temple, who is 3-2, is the one to beat for 1st place. Which does not help us if it is a tie. Dunphy is thee best coach of the A10. Dayton, Umass and Bona will all fade by 1st week of March. La Salle is my backup pick.

For reference, ties in the A10 are broken by head-to-head games among the tied members. Dayton gets the no dover us; the Bonnies get the nod over Dayton. In the event of multiple teams being tied, you start at the next untied team and see who of the tied teams beat them. Right now, the next team is Temple and only Dayton has beaten them. But its a long season and this type of discussion is immature for now. We have recovered from the horrible start.

I think we're only in first place by ESPN standards, because they show the best overall record on top when there is a tie. What about by A10 standards, i.e. how the tournament would be seeded? Do we have all the head-to-head tiebreakers at this point?

You have to look who they beat. Bona for example has fatten up on URI and Fordham. We did get a lot of our tough road games behind us by playing UD and X. Also, Temple is no day at the beach home or away. With 10 games left, 5 home and 5 away, we need to defend the home court and at least go 3-2 on the road (one game is with URI which has not won a conference game), we should be all right going to AC.

My feelings is Temple, who is 3-2, is the one to beat for 1st place. Which does not help us if it is a tie. Dunphy is thee best coach of the A10. Dayton, Umass and Bona will all fade by 1st week of March. La Salle is my backup pick.

It looks to me like the championship will be a fight among Dayton, Saint Louis, and Temple, with Xavier just behind (if they get their act together). And if Xavier were to win the A-10 Tourney, those four may be in the Dance.

A10 ties ..... having done this before, let me say its always a goat rope. Two teams are tied, you go head-to-head. For example, if we are tied with Dayton and lost both games to them, they get it. If we split those two, we go to the top of the list (or next one down) and do winning percentage against the next team. Let's say we are tied with Dayton and have split the season with them. If the next team is Temple, they beat them and we did not. Edge to Dayton. If it's X, and we beat X at home and Dayton loses to them in Cincy, edge us because of 2-0 versus 1-1. If still tied, there is a composite comparison again and finally a coin toss. All ties are determined in descending order so they would have to determine who's ranked higher first to break ties below that.

Group ties are split head-to-head. If we and Temple and Dayton are all tied, right now Dayton is 2-0 in that group, Temple 1-1 and us 0-2. Temple would then beat us by head-to-head. If we were somehow tied with Temple, Dayton would move out and on and then they'd go through the two-teams-tied criteria to break us and Temple up. If all failed and we were left with like five teams in there all equal, it's a lot draw ala coin toss.

A10 tiebreakers can be found in their media guide on Page 12 at: http://www.atlantic10.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/1112-mbb-mediaguide.html

Trust me, there will be a need for this stuff come march 3rd. Always is.

-not sure i agree but i sure like our win last night

Dunphy is in his 23rd year, Rick in his 22nd (Rick has had three seasons which he didn't finish due to his health or his mother's health).

Dunphy is 434-215, Rick is 507-210.

Dunphy's teams have qualified for 13 NCAA tournaments. His record is 1-13.

Rick's teams have qualified for 11 NCAA tournaments. His record is 18-11, including a run to the Championship game. His teams have also qualified for 5 other post season tournaments.

Both are accomplished coaches, but I'll take Rick over Dunphy.

Xavier is our best friend until late February. No other team is more important to improving SLU's profile right now.

Also, Xavier does not need to win the tournament to get an at large. They have a better non-conf profile than SLU (so even a mid 40's RPI would likely get them in and theyand an easier upcoming schedule. Their key is to beat Memphis (it raises all A-10 at-large boats).

Dunphy is in his 23rd year, Rick in his 22nd (Rick has had three seasons which he didn't finish due to his health or his mother's health).

Dunphy is 434-215, Rick is 507-210.

Dunphy's teams have qualified for 13 NCAA tournaments. His record is 1-13.

Rick's teams have qualified for 11 NCAA tournaments. His record is 18-11, including a run to the Championship game. His teams have also qualified for 5 other post season tournaments.

Both are accomplished coaches, but I'll take Rick over Dunphy.

I will say that Dunphy's accomplishments are pretty impressive, considering he spent the bulk of his career coaching in a conference in which it's all but impossible to get an at-large bid.