SLU v. Dayton GDT

KM's play in the last 5 minutes (actually, most of the game) of regulation and OT killed us.

Give me MM, JJ, DE, BC and CE as our starting five.

I mentioned many months ago that we would miss Willie more than Kwamain, but shut up after that. Kwamain is a very good bball player, no doubt, but he has NOT lived up to expectations. We have great guards. Kyle needs to SHOOT THE FOUKING ball. McCall earned his starting position based on his performance last year. I would tell Kwamain that he needs to focus on his shot and until it begins going in consistently, McCall is going to play in his place. I honestly do think McCall is quicker and can create his own shot better. I know others will not agree, but I do believe that.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SLU was not living and dying by the three. Prior to these last two games the scoring was very balanced. However, the last two road games into hostile environments the 3 PT shooting was bad. It is a lack of mental toughness to be able to shoot in a hostile environment. Just not tough enough.

KM's play in the last 5 minutes (actually, most of the game) of regulation and OT killed us.

Give me MM, JJ, DE, BC and CE as our starting five.

Nobody could move the ball! We looked like we had five players playing their own game. Mitchell holds together five players playing as a team. I'll admit he had a few poor decisions and a couple big misses, but his presence on the court is needed. We know he has the ability and talent to lead through tough moments like this, and that's why we need him out there.

MM will never start of KM.. And to be quite honest, other than the closing minutes in the first half, MM played terrible..

Nobody could move the ball! We looked like we had five players playing their own game. Mitchell holds together five players playing as a team. I'll admit he had a few poor decisions and a couple big misses, but his presence on the court is needed. We know he has the ability and talent to lead through tough moments like this, and that's why we need him out there.

MM will never start of KM.. And to be quite honest, other than the closing minutes in the first half, MM played terrible..

Agree to disagree.

It is ether back to the drawing board for our team or else we are not nearly as good as we thought we were.

This.

Just not enough of an inside presence on D or on the glass. Living and dying by the three. Disappointing.

we always fall apart over christmas break. i think majerus is overworking them and we don't have the legs for the 3 or free throws. still doesn't excuse how poorly we played tonight.

I'm approaching 50 and run 30+ miles a week, plus swimming 6-8 miles a week plus biking 30+ miles a week and I'M NOT FRIGGIN' TIRED!!!!!! Plenty of us do this and work 50-60 hours a week!!! We need to quit making excuses for young kids IN THE PRIME OF THEIR PHYSICAL LIVES. Nothing personal against you at all, but I hear this again and again. Plenty of other WINNING teams work just as hard. We just did not get it done tonight. No excuses. Not the refs' fault tonight. WE LOST. We played an inferior game and deserved to lose. I hate that, but it is the truth. Now...back to looking for very sharp objects.

No breakthrough this year unless were talkig about Kyle Cassity's hymen..........

Ignorant, classless thing to say about a hard working student athlete. He is a fine young man.

He practices, plays games at full speed at all times, travels for this team, studies, goes to classes, almost no spare time.

What did you do? Wake up, go to classes, take some naps, study, take some naps, then go out drinking?

He plays hard, is a pretty good player, and sure made it further than you ever dreamed.

Don't take trashy pot shots at any of the kids.

Ignorant, classless thing to say about a hard working student athlete. He is a fine young man.

He practices, plays games at full speed at all times, travels for this team, studies, goes to classes, almost no spare time.

What did you do? Wake up, go to classes, take some naps, study, take some naps, then go out drinking?

He plays hard, is a pretty good player, and sure made it further than you ever dreamed.

Don't take trashy pot shots at any of the kids.

Agreed on the insults, but Rich was having a little fun. lighten up, nancy.

For the rest of your post, just shut up. KC makes $40k+ a year to play basketball (even more if you factor in the education/mba he is receiving).

Here's his line:

27 min, 0-1 fga, 1 reb, 0 ast. 2 stls, 1 TO, 0 pts.

we always fall apart over christmas break. i think majerus is overworking them and we don't have the legs for the 3 or free throws. still doesn't excuse how poorly we played tonight.

No, I think we were just fooled by great start with wins over big name teams like BC-Nova-Oklahoma that are not what they used to be, at all. The 200+ strength of schedule is what you have to look at.

So we are bascially the same team as last yr 11 wins + experience and + KM so we are back to what I thought, 20-21 wins, give or take, NIT if we are fortunate. The newcombers are not a factor unfortunately. We had all hoped that they would help this year.

Not ready to give up but the three road losses Marymount-NM-and Dayton w/o key player puts us into the 4-6th place in the A-10 type of expectation from where I sit.

KM might return to his former top performance level and everyone else plays well, and we go on a run, get back in the hunt.

BUT same old story, no inside "D" force, no 6'9" bulk "athlete" in the paint.

This is the type of game that really pisses me off.

Here is the conversation I had with the GF after the loss.

Her: "When they get beat it sure puts you in a pissy mood"

Me: "I know, sorry, hopefully they dont have many more losses like this. I wish they made something that would help me forget games like this for the rest of the night."

Her: "Hmm? maybe I can help you with that."

At this point she leaves the room and comes back about 10 minutes later with a 1/5 of Captain, a 2 liter of coke, and a big fat joint.

Unlike the Bills she came through in the clutch.

Agreed on the insults, but Rich was having a little fun. lighten up, nancy.

For the rest of your post, just shut up. KC makes $40k+ a year to play basketball (even more if you factor in the education/mba he is receiving).

Here's his line:

27 min, 0-1 fga, 1 reb, 0 ast. 2 stls, 1 TO, 0 pts.

I like to have some laughs, stir some things up on this board, sure, but never EVER tasteless ignorant pot shots at the kids that are busting their ass out there regarding their performance. Unacceptable.

And regarding the $ 40K that you throw out there like it is winning the lottery, I know a LOT of former scholarship athletes that realize that the time they spent as an athlete was not worth it, all the sacrifices they made, considering that you are going to work 40+ years after graduation, it is a drop in the bucket.

This is the type of game that really pisses me off.

Here is the conversation I had with the GF after the loss.

Her: "When they get beat it sure puts you in a pissy mood"

Me: "I know, sorry, hopefully they dont have many more losses like this. I wish they made something that would help me forget games like this for the rest of the night."

Her: "Hmm? maybe I can help you with that."

At this point she leaves the room and comes back about 10 minutes later with a 1/5 of Captain, a 2 liter of coke, and a big fat joint.

Unlike the Bills she came through in the clutch.

Well don't leave us hanging! THEN what happened???

KM is not the player he was in 09-10. Not even close IMO. MM is the best scoring guard on this team and shows his talent when he is not deferring to KM. MM has no reason to take a back seat to KM but for some reason has. KM did kill us tonight with his decision making at very key points in the game.

I like to have some laughs, stir some things up on this board, sure, but never EVER tasteless ignorant pot shots at the kids that are busting their ass out there regarding their performance. Unacceptable.

b.s.

And regarding the $ 40K that you throw out there like it is winning the lottery, I know a LOT of former scholarship athletes that realize that the time they spent as an athlete was not worth it, all the sacrifices they made, considering that you are going to work 40+ years after graduation, it is a drop in the bucket.

Cry me an f'ing river. You get to play the sport you love at a university you love and get paid for it.

given the price of a good college education and not having any debt afterwards (plus a fairly decent degree), you call it a drop in the bucket, you're clueless.

I'm approaching 50 and run 30+ miles a week, plus swimming 6-8 miles a week plus biking 30+ miles a week and I'M NOT FRIGGIN' TIRED!!!!!! Plenty of us do this and work 50-60 hours a week!!! We need to quit making excuses for young kids IN THE PRIME OF THEIR PHYSICAL LIVES. Nothing personal against you at all, but I hear this again and again. Plenty of other WINNING teams work just as hard. We just did not get it done tonight. No excuses. Not the refs' fault tonight. WE LOST. We played an inferior game and deserved to lose. I hate that, but it is the truth. Now...back to looking for very sharp objects.

-other than the workout stuff, i totally agree

-

While I am disappointed in the loss, HIGHLY disappointed, I think people need to get off of the ledge a little. Seriously, I can't believe some of the posts tonight. While it was a road loss, it was an OT loss against a top 50 RPI team. We are currently 12-3 and tomorrow our RPI will be roughly the same it was going into today. We lost another tough road game in a hostile environment due to poor 3-pt shooting. Anything else you want to point to is pretty much moot. We shoot like we had during the earlier games, this game is another easy win.

Until Cody banked in his 3 ball to send it into OT, we were 2-15 from the arc. If we are shooting where we normally are, or even slightly less, then we don't even need to worry about getting into OT. We win the game. We caused more TOs that we created (20-15; 18-12 prior to OT), had more FG attempts and generally had a lot of open looks. We played the type of game we normally do, except, once again, the treys weren't falling at the normal clip.

This is the way this team is built. Cause more TOs than you create, find open shooters and knock down uncontested shots. When those shots don't go down, we will find ourselves in close ballgames and possibly lose. On occassion, that will happen. This team is far from perfect. However, in most cases, the shots will fall down and we will win far more than we lose. All I know is that I do not agree with the following statements:

1. KM needs to be replaced in the lineup by MM.

Really? Is this a serious statement? Is it because KM missed 2 FTs near the end of regulation and then had 2 total TOs in the game. Because, here is the line I saw from him tonite:

5-11 FG, 4 assists, 4 rebounds, 3 steals, 2 TOs, 11 pts, 27 minutes

And here is the line I saw from MM:

4-11 FG, 2 assists, 0 rebounds, 0 steals, 2 TOs, 10 pts, 31 minutes

Also, we saw the team completely fall apart once KM fouled out in OT. I think it is an entirely silly notion to think that we will be a better team with MM getting more minutes than KM and than KM needs to be a bench player. Maybe he isn't the all-world player we were hoping for at this point, but he is still a PG who is averaging more than 11 PPG, 4 APG and has an A/TO ratio of about 2.5:1, including tonight's game. Let's get realistic, people!

2. We are done in terms of getting an at-large bid.

RealTime RPI had us losing this game in a close contest, yet still going 13-3 in conference play. We are standing at a record of 12-3, with all 3 losses being road losses. UNM and UD are both top 50 teams. As someone said, it isn't as if we lost to Fordham at home. These last 2 losses were both highly probable losses. Considering how close the outcome was in both games, we can come away just as encouraged as discouraged. We are probably off of the national poll radar for a while, but the RPI hasn't suffered with either loss (will stay around 60...it was 57 today), and we still control our destiny. Go 12-4 in conference, maybe even 11-5, and we most likely get an at-large bid. Especially since our conference just pulled in 2 nice non-conference wins the last couple of days (Harvard and Duke.)

3. We will be fortunate to even get an NIT bid.

Ugghhhhh. First off, if we go 8-8 in conference, we will almost certianly get an NIT bid, and it is HIGHLY doubtful that this team will go .500 in conference play. Can we wait until we at least lose a home game before we get all apocolyptic and claim that this team just isn't that good. Heck, Duke just lost a road game to Temple, a team that they should have easily beat. However, they will continue to keep on winning games and go on to the tournament. There are 15 regular season games left. Can we go through a few more before we start accepting the inevitable disappointing season?

Edited by jbizzle09