RPI watch

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

the A-10 currently is the 8th ranked conference as the MVC (ughhhh!) has pasted the A-10 again. if the season ended today and only one of the two got 3 teams in, it would not be the A-10. our breathing room gets tighter.

currently slu is ranked 4th in the conference with a 60 ranking (amazingly we were 62 prior to the new mexico game. play good teams and our ranking goes up even with a loss).

a team in 4th place with a 60 rpi is NIT bound.

we really will not be able to afford any losses that arent to the temple and xavier imo. and even then, 5-6 total losses may not be good enough. loyola and our non conference schedule are showing right now.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. We've got to go 12-4 in A-10 play. That said, I see conference play in the BCS making more spots available. Beast should not get the abundance they did last year, Pac 12 is way down, B12 a little down, and let's see how the ACC plays out. But let's not rely on the failure of others. Keep racking up W's starting w/ UD on Wednesday and move on.

http://www.rpiforeca...t.%20Louis.html

24-6 and we'll end up with an RPI of ~32. We'll be a lock with that record.

I agree, but 12-4 will be tough. I am a little more in the Roy camp that we may live to regret our schedule (Rick may have been forced to go with the buy games, but we played some bad teams).

I agree, but 12-4 will be tough. I am a little more in the Roy camp that we may live to regret our schedule (Rick may have been forced to go with the buy games, but we played some bad teams).

If we can't go 12-4 in this conference, we don't deserve to go to the dance. If we play like we did the first half of the year, Pomeroy predicts us to go 13-3. If we aren't good enough than we aren't good enough but its not the schedule makers fault.

If we go 12-4 conference and get to the finals in AC, I think that should do it. Also need to beat some of the high rpi A10 teams like Temple, UD, St J's & X. That would put us at at 24-6 and with the tourney, 27-7.

No need to worry about that, JUST WIN!

12-4 is the bare minimum before we need Otto Bid. The wiggle room evaporated at New Mexico. 11-5 in conference is almost a certain NIT bid.

Well the good thing is we control our own destiny. Everyone can basically say that at this point, but if we play to our capabilities, we should be able to take care of business and put up our best conference record since entering the A-10. Like Kshoe said, if we don't do that then we don't deserve to be there anyways.

So much of this depends on how our OOC opponents play. Washington has won 3 straight with 3 relatively easy games coming up. If New Mexico does well in the MWC and Oklahoma finishes in the top half of the Big 12 that changes everything.

We need to win at Dayton Wednesday, this picture won't be clear until a while from now. So until then, I'll trust KShoe's stats and just count on our billikens to start winning some tough road games.

It is still too early to put a lot of stock in RPI numbers, conference play hasn't even started yet.

A 13-3 conference record with our 12-2 non conference record, for a 25-5 overall record, we are an absolute stone cold lead pipe lock to be in, even if we lose the first game of the conference tourney.

A loss at St Joes would not be a bad loss.

This might be the asinine thread in history. Roy is fretting over our forth place standing in the A10 before we've played a single A10 game? We will need a better RPI but conference standings at this point are less than meaningless.

We've lost two road games, one against pretty decent competition. No need to panic just yet.....

This might be the asinine thread in history. Roy is fretting over our forth place standing in the A10 before we've played a single A10 game? We will need a better RPI but conference standings at this point are less than meaningless.

We've lost two road games, one against pretty decent competition. No need to panic just yet.....

Great point. Take care of business in A-10 play and you've got Greg Gumbel calling your name on Selection Sunday. I'm not too worried about conference play hurting us much. You say before the season we'd be 12-2 going into A-10 play and I'm a happy camper.

Still too early in the season for the rpi to mean much.

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

the A-10 currently is the 8th ranked conference as the MVC (ughhhh!) has pasted the A-10 again. if the season ended today and only one of the two got 3 teams in, it would not be the A-10. our breathing room gets tighter.

currently slu is ranked 4th in the conference with a 60 ranking (amazingly we were 62 prior to the new mexico game. play good teams and our ranking goes up even with a loss).

a team in 4th place with a 60 rpi is NIT bound.

we really will not be able to afford any losses that arent to the temple and xavier imo. and even then, 5-6 total losses may not be good enough. loyola and our non conference schedule are showing right now.

Your post makes no sense at all, unless you just like to dis Roy everytime he makes a comment. Not exactly sure what your first sentence meant, but I assume you think this thread is the dumbest in history? Why? It's a good time to look at the RPI, SOS, and what it might take to get to the dance. I also enjoy seeing where the A-10 stands among conferences after non-conference games have mostly concluded.

Sure, the RPI will change, but at the same time it is cool to see where we are and where our opponents stand going into conference play. And ya Rich, we all know the RPI needs to improve, now that we know what our RPI is, and of course conference standings are meaningless right now, conference play hasn't started yet. Got it. I think your post is far more assinine than Roy's.

http://www.rpiforeca...t.%20Louis.html

24-6 and we'll end up with an RPI of ~32. We'll be a lock with that record.

ask missouri state how solid 32 or less RPI position can be. Especially if we are not top 2 in the conference and a wild card wins conference tourney. our conference will not get four bids this year.

i'm not in panic mode yet, just showing the facts and trying to put into a perspective to watch the next 60 days unfold.

I think we should revisit this discussion after the Dayton game. Losing @ UNM means we have to win at Dayton. If we win there, then what we need to accomplish in conference to attain an at large bid is manageable. Lose at Dayton and we are not in a good place.

ask missouri state how solid 32 or less RPI position can be. Especially if we are not top 2 in the conference and a wild card wins conference tourney. our conference will not get four bids this year.

The RPI certainly plays a role, but we've done a good job thus far establishing ourselves in the eyes of the experts with our big-margin wins over OU, Nova, and Washington. In essence, we've passed the "Jay Bilas" eye test and should continue to be able to do that with added wins over Temple and X at home. Additionally, the A-10 is perceived as superior to the MVC, MO State didn't really have any signature wins that season, and we get the benefit of playing a tougher A-10 schedule because of our groupings with X, Duq, and Dayton.

12-4 puts us as a lock. I still believe we're the best team in this conference and think the over/under for losses in conference will be 3.5.

Missouri St.'s best attribute that year they got denied was their RPI. They were weaker in nearly every other category of factors the committee uses (i.e. other computer polls, the eye test, standing within their conference, # of bids the NCAA was willing to give their conference, etc.).

For SLU, our RPI is far and away the weakest factor, simply because it doesn't factor in margin of victory. A 32 RPI for SLU means we are 24-6, probably have a KenPom rating in the low 20s, a Sagarin rating around 30 and likely are getting votes in the polls. We'd be a stone cold lock.

Lastly, do you believe 12-4 will lead to a 4th place finish? If not, I can't figure our why you brought up that the A-10 will not get 4 bids.

we get the benefit of playing a tougher A-10 schedule because of our groupings with X, Duq, and Dayton.

I think this is an excellent point. Our A-10 schedule is much tougher than the majority of A10 members. No need to gnash our teeth about the MVC ranking. Our A10 schedule will be stronger than what we would have played in the MVC even though not every A10 team can say that. Still, our margin for error based on where we sit at this point is slim for an at large bid.

I think this is an excellent point. Our A-10 schedule is much tougher than the majority of A10 members. No need to gnash our teeth about the MVC ranking. Our A10 schedule will be stronger than what we would have played in the MVC even though not every A10 team can say that. Still, our margin for error based on where we sit at this point is slim for an at large bid.

If slim = 4 losses in 16 games then I agree.