For the first time in at least 30 years

brianstl

I'm just curious how many current local D1 players are out there who we would want and who realistically would want to play for us (not talking about the Brad Beal types)? What local players at playing at comparable programs to SLU? It seems like a small list. I remember some people clamoring for that McCoy kid, who recently transferred from Cleveland State to UM-St. Louis. :o

I'm just curious how many current local D1 players are out there who we would want and who realistically would want to play for us (not talking about the Brad Beal types)? What local players at playing at comparable programs to SLU? It seems like a small list. I remember some people clamoring for that McCoy kid, who recently transferred from Cleveland State to UM-St. Louis. :o

The McCoy kid had a really bad knee injury while at Clevland St. He was not the same kind of athlete or player after the injury. That is why he is transfering to UMSL. The transfer doesn't say anything about the kind of player he was coming out of high school pre injury.

i've been told by five different people they did not renew their tickets this year mainly because they have finally given up on being anything more than mediocre AND no one on the team they care about (i.e. no locals).

not saying i agree with this. as ace pointed out, name player(s) beyond beal that would have been worth having from the metro st louis area. but that doesnt change the perception. we have to win big (at least get to NIT) imo this year.

if we dont, major revolt might be around the corner. winning cures all but more of the same only brings out more apathy and takes us that much closer to insignificant. imo, this is the lowest feeling towards the program since pre-bonner when speaking to non hardcores.

i've been told by five different people they did not renew their tickets this year mainly because they have finally given up on being anything more than mediocre AND no one on the team they care about (i.e. no locals).

not saying i agree with this. as ace pointed out, name player(s) beyond beal that would have been worth having from the metro st louis area. but that doesnt change the perception. we have to win big (at least get to NIT) imo this year.

if we dont, major revolt might be around the corner. winning cures all but more of the same only brings out more apathy and takes us that much closer to insignificant. imo, this is the lowest feeling towards the program since pre-bonner when speaking to non hardcores.

Any data yet on season ticket renewals? Or significant sponsors that did not renew?

I think we will win big this year and that will fix a lot of things.

Good point about people buying tickets. Attendance is down 30% since Rickma's first season at 6,299 last season. It was the lowest average attendance for SLU basketball since Anthony Bonner's freshman year 25 seasons ago.

Any data yet on season ticket renewals? Or significant sponsors that did not renew?

i have not heard and doubt they would tell us, but the fact they did the robocall to all previous season tix holders (brian conklin) pleading for renewal speaks volumes.

remember the days we feared if we didnt pay up by deadline we'd lose our seat location? that went back to our days at the old arena. apparently not anymore.

The "lowest feeling toward the program"? huh?

We have Kwamain coming back who did not let the stupid student kangaroo court get the best of him--declared, by all intensive purposes, that he bleeds billiken blue and SLU is where is heart is. He is coming back to win.

We have Conklin, Cassity, McCall, Evans, Jett, Loe, Ellis, of those; every single one has been a great ambassador for Saint Louis University. Also they are better players than 100% of the area talent that "we could have gotten".

Roy, who that heck are you talking to? If they are arguing that they would rather win 12-14 games every year with local talent as opposed to winning 12-14 with Chi-town and Oregon players, than I guess I understand. But man that is loser mentality...

I have a feeling that this crowd is the same crowd who refuses to stand in a tie game with 2 mins to go...

Make new friends :D

It would only be fixed if you'd said that Cubs fans pay homage to St. Louis, because St. Louis OWNS Chicago (Cubs), therefore Chicago is a suburb of St. Louis.

Except, as a White Sox fan I don't recognize the Cubs as a Chicago entity. It's too sad. :P

It's too bad we didn't play you guys as the proper measuring stick for your World Series hopes. The last time we did, we swept you over three games 34-11 and you went on to win the series.

I think this just goes to show how small time we are at this point. If fans are not purchasing tickets because of a lack of STL players, they were a casual fan at best. Are there really that many high school bball fans out there that they purchase tickets simply because they are playing at a local university? I doubt any high major schools are selling tix based on local high school players.

The first part I can understand (although I don't know why anyone would pick THIS SEASON to not renew); the second part is moronic.

If you want to watch a team of locals, go watch UMSL. They have a roster chock full of local kids and the tickets are cheap. When it comes to the Bills, I don't care where a kid comes from, as long as he can play.

With all due respect to walk-on players, specifically Paul Eckerle (great guy), this argument should only pertain to scholarship players. So, if people want to ***** about the lack of local players they should have done so before now. Just my 2 cents.

P.S. - If people want to not renew season tickets because of a lack of success, that's fine. I just hope they don't plan on going to our NCAA tournament games this coming March. Support through thick and thin. True Blue.

The first part I can understand (although I don't know why anyone would pick THIS SEASON to not renew); the second part is moronic.

If you want to watch a team of locals, go watch UMSL. They have a roster chock full of local kids and the tickets are cheap. When it comes to the Bills, I don't care where a kid comes from, as long as he can play.

I second this thought. If you really want to watch local players because you also like to watch a bunch of high school basketball, then go to Lindenwood or UMSL games, because you will recognize some of those faces and you will get a much more intimate experience. Otherwise, I just can't see this being a LEGIT reason to not buy tickets to SLU games.

I think this just goes to show how small time we are at this point. If fans are not purchasing tickets because of a lack of STL players, they were a casual fan at best. Are there really that many high school bball fans out there that they purchase tickets simply because they are playing at a local university? I doubt any high major schools are selling tix based on local high school players.

i think it was more the "topper" not the reason they didnt buy. i agree completely they are casual fans. i always seem to be "talking down" to their knowledge of the program. which brings out the always a sticker to the program and the way it is run, maybe if we put more information out, maybe if we were more active with the local media, those lesser fans wouldnt be dying to get the next ex desmet mediocre college talent on the billikens.

we all want to poo poo these slacker fans, but then we are amazed we only have a few thousand coming out. all i am saying is there is a perception problem. their is no urgency to try to identify with the program and it is a situation that seems to me to be getting worse not better. sure we all know if we start going to multiple sweet 16's all will be well. but meanwhile the program is regressing.