2012 Commitment

As soon as I stop laughing at your posts I'll get right on it.

I didn't say the jokes were unwanted, just said that they'd be dumb. Which more often than not, they are. That said, if people want to shower the board with more mediocre humor and less basketball talk that's their call.

He's not an outstanding shooter from the reports. It does seem that he's athletic and versatile, with the potential to be a very good defender.

The only person you have to blame for the unfunny, lame jokes about RM being lazy, PM being a god and high ACT scores is yourself. Complaining preemptively about these types of jokes comes across as petulant and whiny, and it also eggs on others. If you are truly interested in getting it to stop, the best thing to do is ignore them as well as not providing further fodder in your posts.

As for Drew, we won't really know anything until he steps on campus next season, much like any new player. However, it is good that he is signed now and we can see how he does his senior season. As for the lack of interest from BCS teams and high mid-majors, I am not overly concerned with that right now. Butler appeared to have interest, but didn't yet offer.

It is true that SLU appears to be the largest program that offered, and that his other offers appeared to be from lower-tier D-I schools.

However, some positives for the so-called 'kool-aid' crowd is that he has packed on some decent weight over the past year and grown an inch. Also, Majerus had recent success with another under-the-radar small forward with little BCS interest in Evans. It also appears that we are making inroads to the Indy area when it comes to recruiting. As with any recruit, I have muted excitement until I actually see him on campus and in uniform.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only person you have to blame for the unfunny, lame jokes about RM being lazy, PM being a god and high ACT scores is yourself. Complaining preemptively about these types of jokes comes across as petulant and whiny, and it also eggs on others. If you are truly interested in getting it to stop, the best thing to do is ignore them as well as not providing further fodder in your posts.

As for Drew, we won't really know anything until he steps on campus next season, much like any new player. However, it is good that he is signed now and we can see how he does his senior season. As for the lack of interest from BCS teams and high mid-majors, I am not overly concerned with that right now. Butler appeared to have interest, but didn't yet offer.

It is true that SLU appears to be the largest program that offered, and that his other offers appeared to be from lower-tier D-I schools.

However, some positives for the so-called 'kool-aid' crowd is that he has packed on some decent weight over the past year and grown an inch. Also, Majerus had recent success with another under-the-radar small forward with little BCS interest in Evans. It also appears that we are making inroads to the Indy area when it comes to recruiting. As with any recruit, I have muted excitement until I actually see him on campus and in uniform.

I'm taking the ACT again in September so the board will be the first to know. I never said PM was a god, but I do think we miss him. I think RM has spent a lot of time away from the program, both reasonably and unreasonably and that concerns me.

That takes nothing away from landing Drew, who is a decent pick-up. I'm not claiming it's not.

Next one.

Thats what I mean. I am happy to have a a good sized small forward.

My fear is that this team does not have enough size. That Portland game last year was brutal, and I don't really see a Heinrich or even Frericks on this team in the near future. And big men are so tough to find, I am willing to take risks with the hopes that with one of the players you can't teach 6-10 too you will be able to teach a post move to, even if it takes 3 scholarships to find one that does.

I think RM has spent a lot of time away from the program, both reasonably and unreasonably and that concerns me.

I've defended you, but now it's getting hard to do so. It's obvious that you don't see the big picture, which is totally expected at your age. You remind me of the AP kids in high school that memorized information but never actually learned anything.

RM has his quirks and I don't agree with a decent amount of things he has done; however, he has given SLU the most consistent level of high quality recruits that it/we have seen over the last 20 years.

p.s. I asked him and Berry totally would have chosen SLU over "awesome BCS school #1", but RM was too lazy to recruit him.

I've defended you, but now it's getting hard to do so. It's obvious that you don't see the big picture, which is totally expected at your age. You remind me of the AP kids in high school that memorized information but never actually learned anything.

RM has his quirks and I don't agree with a decent amount of things he has done; however, he has given SLU the most consistent level of high quality recruits that it/we have seen over the last 20 years.

p.s. I asked him and Berry totally would have chosen SLU over "awesome BCS school #1", but RM was too lazy to recruit him.

I don't get why you can't worry or have concerns about things without being a hater or whatever. It's like either you buy into the kool-aid completely or you don't. There apparently is no middle ground. I'm glad Majerus is our coach.

Sidenote: ironic that I remind you of those ap kids since that's my biggest pet peeve about high school

I don't get why you can't worry or have concerns about things without being a hater or whatever. It's like either you buy into the kool-aid completely or you don't. There apparently is no middle ground. I'm glad Majerus is our coach.

I don't get why you can't appreciate that SLU has done about the best it could do or has done with recruits since RM has been here. You're barking up the wrong complaint tree.

RM has done the best job of any coach recruiting consistently quality recruits to SLU. He's not going to get Berry and he's not going to rely on Dixon. He's going to get it done with KM, RL, CE, DE, BC, etc. level recruits. For the past 15 years, that's as good as SLU can ask for.

p.s. Berry was never coming to SLU regardless of what he told you, NH.

I don't get why you can't appreciate that SLU has done about the best it could do or has done with recruits since RM has been here. You're barking up the wrong complaint tree.

RM has done the best job of any coach recruiting consistently quality recruits to SLU. He's not going to get Berry and he's not going to rely on Dixon. He's going to get it done with KM, RL, CE, DE, BC, etc. level recruits. For the past 15 years, that's as good as SLU can ask for.

p.s. Berry was never coming to SLU regardless of what he told you, NH.

Not sure I agree we've done the best we could've done. But maybe im too young to have developed some of the cynicism of our more veteran fan base

And well we'll never find out with Nolan so for all intents and purposes you're dead on.

Haven't seen this video posted yet of drew, but he seems like a solid get to me. He is definitely an area we needed to address, a mid sized cutter/slasher. You also have to love the quote he made saying he wanted to win championships... loving the attitude Jared.

Thats what I mean. I am happy to have a a good sized small forward.

My fear is that this team does not have enough size. That Portland game last year was brutal, and I don't really see a Heinrich or even Frericks on this team in the near future. And big men are so tough to find, I am willing to take risks with the hopes that with one of the players you can't teach 6-10 too you will be able to teach a post move to, even if it takes 3 scholarships to find one that does.

I hear you but Drew has a 6'10" wingspan. That's huge for a true 3. This team needs to rebound from the 3 to help the bigs. I don't think the team that played Portland last year is the same team that will take the court this season. No Kwamain. Cody didn't play (coach's decision). Dwayne got 18 minutes, almost exclusively at 4. We'll see how it plays out but I expect this Billikens team to rebound as a team.

Haven't seen this video posted yet of drew, but he seems like a solid get to me. He is definitely an area we needed to address, a mid sized cutter/slasher. You also have to love the quote he made saying he wanted to win championships... loving the attitude Jared.

This kid is a stud. He reminds me of Dwayne Evans. He could play the 3 while DE plays the 2 next year. We would look like a Big 10 team.

Not sure I agree we've done the best we could've done. But maybe im too young to have developed some of the cynicism of our more veteran fan base

And well we'll never find out with Nolan so for all intents and purposes you're dead on.

Maybe there is more than one way to do it. Majerus has a recruiting style learned and developed during over 20 years of coaching and it works.

What makes how you believe it should be done right?

Romar has proven to be a pretty good recruiter, but I'd say RM has brought in better players to SLU than Romar did, though I bet Romar spent more time on the streets.

Sidenote: ironic that I remind you of those ap kids since that's my biggest pet peeve about high school

because all you do is hate...you arent in the middle...and its annoying.

because all you do is hate...you arent in the middle...and its annoying.

That's simply not true. I'm really excited for this season. RM has put together the most talented roster I've ever seen for the Billikens.

I think Drew wass a good pick-up. After missing out on our top two targets, we needed to land someone and while JD doesn't appear to be a program changer off the bat, he has a lot of potential.

That's simply not true. I'm really excited for this season. RM has put together the most talented roster I've ever seen for the Billikens.

I think Drew wass a good pick-up. After missing out on our top two targets, we needed to land someone and while JD doesn't appear to be a program changer off the bat, he has a lot of potential.

You just can't help yourself can you? Not a bad post until BUT "After......................" How do you know he is not a game changer? RM knows how to put the pieces together. How many years have you been putting players together to make a great team? ZERO!

You just can't help yourself can you? Not a bad post until BUT "After......................" How do you know he is not a game changer? RM knows how to put the pieces together. How many years have you been putting players together to make a great team? ZERO!

With all due respect, there isn't a poster on this board who has head coaching experience at the collegiate level, so your point is moot.

I think we are all sick of NH's comments about "Rick is lazy" & "Losing Porter means we will have a terrible 2012 recruiting class". That said, NH did attend every open practice the Bills had in August, and he provided very positive feedback afterwards. He's obviously a big fan who wants us to do well, but is not afraid to address his (sometimes unfounded) concerns. He can be irritating, but to say he's just a hater is unfair.

I think we are all sick of NH's comments about "Rick is lazy" & "Losing Porter means we will have a terrible 2012 recruiting class". That said, NH did attend every open practice the Bills had in August, and he provided very positive feedback afterwards. He's obviously a big fan who wants us to do well, but is not afraid to address his (sometimes unfounded) concerns. He can be irritating, but to say he's just a hater is unfair.

+1

while i dont share NH's over the top love of Porter Moser (his opportunities to coach the billikens on days rickma couldnt be there were total disasters) i think he shows he cares about anything that is billiken. a lot of NH points are very well taken imo.

The more things change....

First, no need to respond to the juvenile posts of NH. Clearly, he doesn't understand how repeated attacks, mostly unsubstantiated, constitutes "middle ground". To vent his frustration, he has vaulted Porter Moser to unjustified heights leaving the rest of us to have to say negative things about one of better recruiting/assistant coaches we may have had in years - all in order to prove that RM deserves most of the recruiting credit and that Porter wasn't as great as the legend NH is making him out to be.

Second, NH has tried to divide the SLU base by not only hopping on the bandwagon of the irritated and frustrated local recruiting groups but then taking over the reigns. Note: the interests of SLU and the local players, parents and coaches are not always the same.

Third, RM has landed GG, ET and now JD -- all since the departure of Porter -- and despite last year's miserable season and RM's contract status. Wonder how this happened? :rolleyes:

Fourth, JD spoke highly about playing for RM (no mention of Porter) and called Harriman to commit. Now, I'm really confused in that I thought youngsters nowadays don't remember RM from his earlier days, cannot relate to RM b/c of his age/style of play and that Chris Harriman only recruits foreign players from Austrailia and New Zealand. :rolleyes:

Now, "Mr. Middleground" (NH) finds it appropriate to take shots on our new recruit (verbal commit - not written LOI, whom he has not seen play and knows very, very little about. Shots like:

"He's not an outstanding shooter from the reports;" and

"

...landing a kid whose other offers were Detroit, IPFW, ISU and Mo. State doesn't disprove the concerns I have..."

"JD doesn't appear to be a program changer"

I, for one, am sickened. Remind me again what SLU has done on the basketball court to justify such an ego? Take your shots at RM but leave the young recruits alone.

First, no need to respond to the juvenile posts of NH. Clearly, he doesn't understand how repeated attacks, mostly unsubstantiated, constitutes "middle ground". To vent his frustration, he has vaulted Porter Moser to unjustified heights leaving the rest of us to have to say negative things about one of better recruiting/assistant coaches we may have had in years - all in order to prove that RM deserves most of the recruiting credit and that Porter wasn't as great as the legend NH is making him out to be.

Second, NH has tried to divide the SLU base by not only hopping on the bandwagon of the irritated and frustrated local recruiting groups but then taking over the reigns. Note: the interests of SLU and the local players, parents and coaches are not always the same.

Third, RM has landed GG, ET and now JD -- all since the departure of Porter -- and despite last year's miserable season and RM's contract status. Wonder how this happened? :rolleyes:

Fourth, JD spoke highly about playing for RM (no mention of Porter) and called Harriman to commit. Now, I'm really confused in that I thought youngsters nowadays don't remember RM from his earlier days, cannot relate to RM b/c of his age/style of play and that Chris Harriman only recruits foreign players from Austrailia and New Zealand. :rolleyes:

Now, "Mr. Middleground" (NH) finds it appropriate to take shots on our new recruit (verbal commit - not written LOI, whom he has not seen play and knows very, very little about. Shots like:

"

...landing a kid whose other offers were Detroit, IPFW, ISU and Mo. State doesn't disprove the concerns I have..."

I, for one, am sickened. Remind me again what SLU has done on the basketball court to justify such an ego? Take your shots at RM but leave the young recruits alone.

Great post. Reminds me of my younger days when I was essentially doing the same thing - trying to get people on the anti-Soderberg wagon. However, there is a night and day difference between Sodaburger and Rick Majerus. However, it just seems frustrating to all members of the Billiken Nation that he cannot duplicate the on-the-court success he had at Utah. One must realize that the academic standards here is a hurdle Majerus didn't have to jump over in Salt Lake City. It's a huge hurdle. We want kids that can handle the academic and athletic rigors and while we've had a few fall through the cracks, I think there's no one better suited for turning clay into art than Rick Majerus. I still trust in Majerus.

United we stand, etc.

"

Clock, I think this post is way over the top. The reason NH comes across sometimes as pretentious or even juvenile is because he is a teenager still in high school. I remember when I was that age. I was totally insufferable, especially towards the older generation. I am sure others on this board would also like to go back in time and kick their own asses for how they came across and acted.

That is my main issue with NH. He can be irritating and his own worst enemy on this board, but that doesn't mean what he posts isn't necessarily valid or makes a point. He is young and brash, but also observant and smart. When he isn't purposely trying to rile up others on this board with hot-button statements that he knows will get reactions, he is usually making very insightful comments. I think he brings a lot to this board despite these criticisms.