Sunday Aug. 14th Practice

NH

Controlled scrimmage for much of the practice. Also, the team shot a LOT of free throws and had to run sprints for every individual miss and as a group every time the team did not make 80% which was the majority of the time.

Conklin and Jett both were hurt at some point but their injuries don't appear too bad.

Glaze was once again all over the place. Can't hit FT's at all but is quick. FInished either last or first on basically all the sprints. He'll definitely bring energy off the bench to say the least when he does get in.

Evans hit some nice shots. His jumper looks a lot better to me.

Kwamain is the best passer on our team. I'm pretty confident about that after seeing these practices.

Loe played well overall I would say. Hit a 3 and finished in the paint. He still needs to get more aggressive but that's not going to change over night.

Cusamano was there. Look for the Bills on sports plus.

Remekun had a couple nice plays he's definitely improved. Still is a mess when making post moves.

Cody had his best practice yet. Hit a lot of shots. He was playing the 4. I still have doubts he can play the 3.

Coach MAjerus was there for a little bit of practice and talked to team for a good while afterwards.

I talked with Jake Barnett after practice. Really nice. Said Evans has taken the biggest leap and for someone who made A-10 all freshman team that's pretty good.

After seeing all the practices I say our best starting lineup is: KM, KC, DE, BC, RL

Pretty much agree with most of what you said. Glaze definitely has a nose for the ball and hit the glass well. He had some nice passes as well today. Ellis had a great practice and was the best player on the floor today. He is really shooting well right now. His effort was also fantastic. Hardest worker out there today and that includes Mitchell.

NH is spot on. In addition, I thought Manning and Glaze looked good. Not sure how many minutes either will get this year, but they are both very good get's for SLU. Ellis was really good today, and he was the hardest worker out there, and that's saying something. This group play's extremely hard! Barnett looked better today to me. He can get the ball into the post, which is becoming a lost art. He also made 80% his free throws, while Glaze made 20%. MM didn't do much, nor did JJ, when he was in there. Looked like Majerus is itching to get back with his boy's.

I was there, but I can't add much to the previous reports. Ellis was obviously the best player out there tonight. I was impressed with Glaze and think that he'll be a force in the A-10 as a junior and senior.

My thing about watching intrasquad scrimmaging is that it can be deceptive. The Bills always look in those circumstances. But the thing that really stifles the Bills' scoring is teams with some size in the front court and/or teams which clog the lane with zone defenses. I'd zone the Bills all game until they showed me that they can consistently knock down outside shots, but thus far it doesn't appear they are preparing for what opponents may utilize.

Why is it that no one ever mentions Kyle, yet he seems to always pop in the starting five?

I can tell you he had his boot off today. Looked good rebounding free throw's, and stay's involved through out practice. I'm guessing he is considered a leader amongst the guy's. And his name pops up in the starting lineup discussion based on his play over the last 3 years, and a player Majerus is fond of. I have him playing 20-25 minutes a night.

Controlled scrimmage for much of the practice. Also, the team shot a LOT of free throws and had to run sprints for every individual miss and as a group every time the team did not make 80% which was the majority of the time.

Conklin and Jett both were hurt at some point but their injuries don't appear too bad.

Glaze was once again all over the place. Can't hit FT's at all but is quick. FInished either last or first on basically all the sprints. He'll definitely bring energy off the bench to say the least when he does get in.

Evans hit some nice shots. His jumper looks a lot better to me.

Kwamain is the best passer on our team. I'm pretty confident about that after seeing these practices.

Loe played well overall I would say. Hit a 3 and finished in the paint. He still needs to get more aggressive but that's not going to change over night.

Cusamano was there. Look for the Bills on sports plus.

Remekun had a couple nice plays he's definitely improved. Still is a mess when making post moves.

Cody had his best practice yet. Hit a lot of shots. He was playing the 4. I still have doubts he can play the 3.

Coach MAjerus was there for a little bit of practice and talked to team for a good while afterwards.

I talked with Jake Barnett after practice. Really nice. Said Evans has taken the biggest leap and for someone who made A-10 all freshman team that's pretty good.

After seeing all the practices I say our best starting lineup is: KM, KC, DE, BC, RL

I agree with your starting five, but i thing kc is as good a passer if not better than KM. He also makes KM a lot better.

I'm not sure if you post this about Cody at the 3 because you are refrencing back to some argument on this board but it seems to me the Cody at the 3 concept is pretty much dead at this point. With the emergence of Evans at the 3, the glut of guards, including some that can play the 3, and the loss of Willie at the 4, its pretty clear to me the vast majority of the minutes Cody gets will be at the 4.

I haven't made time to go to any practices yet, but everything I hear makes me extremely excited about this season.

So much blue kool-aid that I am feeling hyperglycemic. Seriously, I think with the praise I have been hearing about everyone I think playing in the tourney this year is seeming very possible.

GO BILLS!

I'm not sure if you post this about Cody at the 3 because you are refrencing back to some argument on this board but it seems to me the Cody at the 3 concept is pretty much dead at this point. With the emergence of Evans at the 3, the glut of guards, including some that can play the 3, and the loss of Willie at the 4, its pretty clear to me the vast majority of the minutes Cody gets will be at the 4.

He has played the 3 and guarded Evans the majority of practices.

I was there, but I can't add much to the previous reports. Ellis was obviously the best player out there tonight. I was impressed with Glaze and think that he'll be a force in the A-10 as a junior and senior.

My thing about watching intrasquad scrimmaging is that it can be deceptive. The Bills always look in those circumstances. But the thing that really stifles the Bills' scoring is teams with some size in the front court and/or teams which clog the lane with zone defenses. I'd zone the Bills all game until they showed me that they can consistently knock down outside shots, but thus far it doesn't appear they are preparing for what opponents may utilize.

Absurd, it was great meeting you today. Waldo, too.

You are right about Ellis -- he was the best player today. Hardest worker, too. Won every sprint. Must have been a dozen of them. If he plays in the reg season like this, it will be some fun.

Really liked Glaze, too. Yea -- he has some catching up to do. Has some conditioning work to do, too. But is further along than Conk was at this time. Nice touch around basket. A couple nice moves, too. Will be lots of fun to watch him progress!

I agree with your starting five, but i thing kc is as good a passer if not better than KM. He also makes KM a lot better.

Backhand will be happy if KC sees 15 minutes a game.

KC is not a better distributor than km. It's a lot easier to sit up top and pass than break down the d and pass. Please stop your love fest with KC.

KC's playing time will depend as much on his own efforts as it will RM's decision as to who plays the point guard. If JJ wins the job and KM plays alot at the 2 (with DE at the 3), then KC will have to fight for backup minutes. If KC can play point guard, though, then KC's passing skills will provide him with minutes if this shooting does not improve from the past. If KM ends up playing the point, then KC's shooting be more of premium than his passing and KC's shooting percentage will dictate the amount of minutes he gets.

And as far as outside shooters, over the years in college basketball generally, I've seen players get quite a few minutes b/c they can successfully shoot the ball even though their defense, dribbling, passing, rebounding, etc. is not as good. JB will get his minutes, or not get them, based upon his outside shot. KM, DE and RL (if they play as we hope/expect) will be able to hide alot of flaws by the other players. KM himself made alot of mistakes and had alot of non-spectacular games the first 3/4's of his Freshman year. Playing alongside KL and TL sure helped him. Same can be said this year about JJ, MM, JB and even KC, etc.

KC's playing time will depend as much on his own efforts as it will RM's decision as to who plays the point guard. If JJ wins the job and KM plays alot at the 2 (with DE at the 3), then KC will have to fight for backup minutes. If KC can play point guard, though, then KC's passing skills will provide him with minutes if this shooting does not improve from the past. If KM ends up playing the point, then KC's shooting be more of premium than his passing and KC's shooting percentage will dictate the amount of minutes he gets.

And as far as outside shooters, over the years in college basketball generally, I've seen players get quite a few minutes b/c they can successfully shoot the ball even though their defense, dribbling, passing, rebounding, etc. is not as good. JB will get his minutes, or not get them, based upon his outside shot. KM, DE and RL (if they play as we hope/expect) will be able to hide alot of flaws by the other players. KM himself made alot of mistakes and had alot of non-spectacular games the first 3/4's of his Freshman year. Playing alongside KL and TL sure helped him. Same can be said this year about JJ, MM, JB and even KC, etc.

I have no doubt that CE is our best 3-point shooter so if your logic holds he will certainly get his minutes. If CE plays a lot, he will score but we can't afford for him to be a volume shooter like he has been in the past, we need a 40, 50, 80 guy.

i will be surprised if cassity doesnt have the second most minutes played per game on the team. i believe that with his overall knowledge of the system and the fact he plays the game as rickma wants it to be played, cassity will play minutes at all three guard spots each game. he is probably the only player on the team that can and will do this. so while he might not start, he will prob play 5-7 minutes at the point, and then 5-10 minutes at each of the shooting guard and small forward spots.

his only negative imo is he wont shoot. he plays stellar defense (normally takes the opponents top guard/small forward defensively), has outstanding floor vision (best asst to turnover ration on the team) and overall has the most fundamental game on the team. he is the coach on the floor. i will be shocked if he becomes the end of bench guy many of you are clamoring about.

i will be surprised if cassity doesnt have the second most minutes played per game on the team. i believe that with his overall knowledge of the system and the fact he plays the game as rickma wants it to be played, cassity will play minutes at all three guard spots each game. he is probably the only player on the team that can and will do this. so while he might not start, he will prob play 5-7 minutes at the point, and then 5-10 minutes at each of the shooting guard and small forward spots.

his only negative imo is he wont shoot. he plays stellar defense (normally takes the opponents top guard/small forward defensively), has outstanding floor vision (best asst to turnover ration on the team) and overall has the most fundamental game on the team. he is the coach on the floor. i will be shocked if he becomes the end of bench guy many of you are clamoring about.

+1

I am going to agree with you, Roy. With more players in the rotation looking to shoot and score, KC can settle into the facilitator role that he obviously relishes and thrives in. I don't mind him getting 20+ MPG this season as long as he is able to contribute good to great defense and help the offense move fluidly while not turning the ball over. Also, with KM back, I don't think we'll see as many of these scenarios as last season, where KC would hold the ball down to the end of the shot clock and then dish off to someone else to take the shot.

Roy. If KC can play some at the point for this team this year, as you suggest, then you're right, KC will play alot of minutes. KC needs to return healthy and confident in that he has alot to offer this team. Now that we have a "go to" guy in KM, the real pressure is taken off KC. Also, MM, JJ, DE and even RL realized last year that even though KC is more experienced, KC was not always looking to shoot the ball. This year, JB and possibly ET will also take some pressure of KC.

NH. I sure hope CE becomes our best/one of our best 3 point shooters. Same with RL. But again, IMO, good shooting bigs are a bonus and do not change the need to have the 3 guards be outside threats.

Jbizzle. Don't fully agree. KC will need to do more than just be a smart, low-turnover guy. To me, this would be a weak link. IMO, KC does not have to be a "go to" guy but he does need to either make some shots and/or run the offense. Also, the other guys, such as KM, MM, JB and/or ET will need to make the outside shot. Personally, I think this year's MM will be much better at shooting the 3 than last year's (which wasn't bad) and that KM, JB and/or ET will do much better than KC and CS were able to do last year. KC will sure look alot better out there when he not only makes a good pass (like he did last year) but when KM, MM and/or JB actually make the shot. Last year's passing options were limited to Freshmen MM and JJ and to CS. When shots did not fall last year, then MM, JJ, CS and KC all started to play "hot potato" not wanting to shoot.

I wish Remekun had Glaze's intensity and aggressiveness in the post....he shows it at times, but it is so rare.

Glaze surprised me with his passing yesterday.

Evans shot was on.

Ellis seemed to have the fire in him...he's going to impress this season.

Ellis seemed to have the fire in him...he's going to impress this season.

i've been reading on the FB about how he's been lifting and running hard all summer, but i figured it was just williereedspeak. i hope CE gets his this season. mad HATEful.