Willie Reed

Guest BillikenReport

Of note, Willie was not invited to the NBA Draft Combine. That is not a good sign.

http://thehoopsreport.com/article.aspx?id=727

ESPN has Willie rated as the 70th best prospect in this draft and considers him a guy who could be a second-round pick or go undrafted.

I honestly think Willie should be at worst a late second-round pick because he's got good size, he can rebound and block shots. He obviously has potential and NBA teams always draft on potential.

I agree wholeheartedly Nate. It would be a draft pick for development but you can't teach size and Willie is lucky to have that going for him. It's like being a lefthanded pitcher in MLB. Guys seem to stick around forever (Dennis Cook, JC Romero, Jamie Moyer, Jesse Orosco, etc.) with someone questionaing their talent.

Second roun dpicks cost no guaranteed money, right? If you're a deep team, and expect little to no roster disruption over the off-season, you could take the flyer on Willie and at least, break even. He does not have the physique nor stamina to take the NBA pounding dished out at the four.

Still, wish him the best of luck.

If Willie was a european player he would definitely be drafted. A team would take a chance on him because he could develop over there for a year or two.

I think the chances of him getting drafted are very slim. Willie's talent isn't eye popping enough or refined enough for a team to risk a roster spot on him given the baggage that comes with him.

ESPN has Willie rated as the 70th best prospect in this draft and considers him a guy who could be a second-round pick or go undrafted.

I honestly think Willie should be at worst a late second-round pick because he's got good size, he can rebound and block shots. He obviously has potential and NBA teams always draft on potential.

Go ahead and cancel the green room invites.

How much are the perceived "character issues" hurting his stock? Any scout who would talk to him personally would probably not be happy to hear some of the things Mr. Reed has been involved in.

To be honest, I don't think that is really hurting him as much as how raw he still is. He was seen as a potential 1st round pick this year IF he had played his junior year, continuing on with his development under Majerus. He has not played at all for a year now so it has to be assumed that he is just as raw as he was at the end of his soph season, only a year older.

To be honest, I don't think that is really hurting him as much as how raw he still is. He was seen as a potential 1st round pick this year IF he had played his junior year, continuing on with his development under Majerus. He has not played at all for a year now so it has to be assumed that he is just as raw as he was at the end of his soph season, only a year older.

and 10 lbs lighter.

Look on the positive side...he could only handle playing in 5 minute spurts before getting tired. Now he will only get 5 minutes in the NBA. He was built perfectly for the NBA.

and 10 lbs lighter.

Look on the positive side...he could only handle playing in 5 minute spurts before getting tired. Now he will only get 5 minutes in the NBA. He was built perfectly for the NBA.

Actually, it was 3 minute spurts, at least at the beginning of the game. ;) I always looked at the clock when he begged out for the first time and it was typically around 17:00.

Actually, it was 3 minute spurts, at least at the beginning of the game. ;) I always looked at the clock when he begged out for the first time and it was typically around 17:00.

Draft Express doesn't show him in the top 100. D league or apply for a passport, Willie. Again, too bad he just couldn't hit the books. Bad for us and doubly bad for him as he could have had a shot to prove to scouts he was draft material.

Draft Express doesn't show him in the top 100. D league or apply for a passport, Willie. Again, too bad he just couldn't hit the books. Bad for us and doubly bad for him as he could have had a shot to prove to scouts he was draft material.

Draft Express has Willie Reed at #76 overall, and in their list of top 15 players not invited to Chicago for the pre-draft camp this week. 54 players were invited. Also among those in the top 15 list not invited...Josh Harrellson, Vernon Macklin, Jacob Pullen...

Draft Express has Willie Reed at #76 overall, and in their list of top 15 players not invited to Chicago for the pre-draft camp this week. 54 players were invited. Also among those in the top 15 list not invited...Josh Harrellson, Vernon Macklin, Jacob Pullen...

Not worried about Harrleson. He has his jean shorts dynasty to fall back on.

One website had him in the first round.

One recent mock draft done by NBADraft.net had him being picked #30 overall. However, it should also be pointed out that this is the same website that two years ago had him being drafted in the middle to late first round in 2011. There is nobody else who has him being a first round pick and most places see him as being either undrafted or maybe going in the late 2nd round as a sleeper. While not being invited to the draft combine doesn't necessarily mean that he won't be drafted at all, it does seem to indicate that he isn't on any team's radar as being a 1st rounder.

It is kind of amazing how quickly people have turned on this guy. He was a savior for trying to come back after being completely hosed, and now?

No one's turning on him. If you were an NBA GM with a late first round pick, would you take him? Just be thankful the NBA doesn't give the Wunderlic test.

It is kind of amazing how quickly people have turned on this guy. He was a savior for trying to come back after being completely hosed, and now?

Willie was not completely hosed. He was very lucky to get a second chance actually it was more like a 4th chance.

ankiel, you havent been following along very well have you? it was exposed over time that willie had multiple issues that actually caused his expulsion not just "the incident". add to that his horrible effort to be a student, i am confused why anyone wouldnt "turn" on the guy? imo, he was the real villian of last season. had he behaved and performed in the classroom prior to and after "the incident" he likely wouldnt have ever been expelled.

ankiel, you havent been following along very well have you? it was exposed over time that willie had multiple issues that actually caused his expulsion not just "the incident". add to that his horrible effort to be a student, i am confused why anyone wouldnt "turn" on the guy? imo, he was the real villian of last season. had he behaved and performed in the classroom prior to and after "the incident" he likely wouldnt have ever been expelled.

excellent post, Roy. The woodshed is open for business.

And to add, this is not like a guy who tried all semester only to fall just a few points on a grade. He officially quit mid-semester but most likely quit long before that. Is it too much to expect him to put a solid semester in? to try through semester finals? He did receive free tuition, tuturing, room & board, weight training and the like. Sure doesn't sound like effort to me.

My obvious point is that none on this board would make negative statements about his chances to be drafted if he had simply made his grades this year.

How does your statement not prove my point entirely. You are making claims that Reed was subject to 'multiple issues' without providing any factual basis for for it. Majerus never suspended him or made comments about any personal difficulties. Hearsay statements from blogs and forums are untrustworthy. Regardless, there are accusations that he was involved in cheating, minor amounts of theft, being a selfish person and player? This describes seventy-five percent of all college students, let alone college athletes.

His horrible effort to be a student? It has been stated on this board that SLU stopped providing study assistance to him this past semester. For a student with a history of academic issues. With that in mind, can you really blame him for giving up, he was placed in a position where he was bound to fail. Also, I can understand a student giving up on his classes the summer after his sophomore year, after he has been falsely accused of sexual assault and kicked off of his sports team without proper due process. For all we know this was due to depression and, regardless, is something that any student might have done.

"imo, he was the real villian of last season" - This is an entirely reasonable statement, you certainly haven't turned on him.

My obvious point is that none on this board would make negative statements about his chances to be drafted if he had simply made his grades this year.

You are making claims that Reed was subject to 'multiple issues' without providing any factual basis for for it.

"imo, he was the real villian of last season" - This is an entirely reasonable statement, you certainly haven't turned on him.

We will never have access to Willie's judicial board file because SLU's privacy laws state that those records are not to be released to the general public. If this whole "situation" was a one-strike-you're-out deal, then yes, Willie got hosed because there have been greater atrocities committed by SLU students and they have received slaps on the wrist (if you had only met some of the Lower Level Walsh crew from 01-02 you'd know what I'm talking about). We can only assume that if Willie did have priors on his record that the "situation" might have been the proverbial straw. We won't know. I personally do not want to know. Good luck to Willie. He did what he could here.