Warmann on RM

Billboy1

I don't know what evidence roy has regarding what Gonzaga, Xavier and Butler have done to cultivate the media, casual fans, etc. What I do know is that those programs have consistently done a lot of winning on the court recently. Everybody likes associating with a winner including the media, boosters and casual fans.

Regarding UC getting more media attention, I am not surprised. UC is a much bigget school than Xavier and they play in a more high profile conference. Plus I would guess that more people in that town could identify with a big public university which has the name of the town in its name than a small private Catholic school.

Im not suprised they get more attention I was just suprised that this guy was pretty much calling Xavier the red headed step child of Ohio.

It just shocked me that, at least in that guys eyes, a team that has been so consistently good has been regulated to the back pages of their local papers.

I agree with you that winning is the key to drawing in a fan base.

3 or 4 trips to the tourney will do a lot more for the program than having even the most media friendly coach of all time.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree with this and it drives me crazy. I am arguing and defending SLU and RM all the time. People hear things and make their own impressions without really knowing the whole situation. But, I think this is human nature and RM and his staff need to deal with this so that when we make our run the next couple of years we have people fighting to getting tickets. Porter does a great job and the more we put his face out there, the better we are. The problem with that thought is that everybdoy knows Majerus and wants it from him.

I am intrigued to see what local media jump on the bandwagon the next couple of years.

That's easy ... all of them. Every last little one of them will be pushing and shoving to get seats near the front of the bandwagon when we are set to make our 2nd NCAA tourney

I heard a reporter from cincinnati on Cussamano and kilcoyne yesterday talking about the MU vs Cincy game.

Cussamano started asking questions about Xavier and how they compare with Cincy for local media attention. I forget the guys name but he talked about how he was a graduate of Xaiver and is upset with the lack of attention Xavier gets from local media. He said that every Xavier game is a sell out but besides those 10,000 that go to the game nobody cares about Xavier basketbll.

He talked about how Bearcats basketball would be on pages 1-4 and Xavier would have a small article on page 8.

The guy was saying that Xavier has a good number of die hard fans but has trouble getting the casual fan.

I was really suprised to hear some of the things he was saying.

I agree with you that all those things are important but if what this guy was saying was true I think it goes to show you that putting a winner on the floor for 4 or 5 years is more important than anything else.

As somebody who has spent a lot of time in Cincinnati over the years, this is a very inaccurate description of Xavier's in-town following and the media's coverage of them. Sure, UC gets a slight edge because of its sheer size and its inclusion of football, but X is heavily covered there and is not treated nearly as bad this guy makes it sound. Hell, go to Cincinnati.com right now and the top sports story is a Xavier article.

Maybe this guy on Frank's show is Scott Warmann's Cincinnati twin.

As somebody who has spent a lot of time in Cincinnati over the years, this is a very inaccurate description of Xavier's in-town following and the media's coverage of them. Sure, UC gets a slight edge because of its sheer size and its inclusion of football, but X is heavily covered there and is not treated nearly as bad this guy makes it sound. Hell, go to Cincinnati.com right now and the top sports story is a Xavier article.

There are some media types that can't even properly pronounce "ZAV-IER." How's that for respect?

I used to live in Ohio and listened to 700 wlw quite a bit. I'd say UC got a little more attention than X back then. But not much. UK got a lot of attention in Cincy as Newport K.

Xavier is about to go to their 11th NCAA tournament in the last 12 years, yet I'm not surprised they don't get as much coverage as the big public schools (Cincinnati and Ohio State). Those schools have more students, alums, and casual fans than them. No matter how much we win in the future, we'll probably always be in 3rd place in the media to Mizzou and Illinois. How many times has Xavier, Butler, or Gonzaga been featured as the big prime-time game on ESPN? If those teams get on ESPN at all, it's ESPN2 or ESPNU. It's always Big East, ACC, Big 10, Big 12 and SEC.

In Cincy, XU has to compete with not only UC and OSU, but UK as well. UK gets tons of media coverage there.

And Louisville and Miami. Just like our dog and pony local media, they lay claim to anything within 100 mile radius. Heck, we go even further to claim Illinois. The Cincinnati Enquirer ran a headline the other day that said something like "Cincinnati, Xavier, Ohio State, Kentucky, and Louisville in Tournament Together for the First Time Since 1961." I was surprised by that fact and saddened by how many schools the Cincinnati area is trying to claim.

That said, when I lived there I always felt like Xavier and UC got fairly even treatment. Maybe that's because UC was down and Xavier was (and still is) in the midst of an impressive decade+ but it was usually fair and consistent.

The coverage SLU gets compared to Mizzou and Illinois is not even close to what Xavier gets. It's complete bull**** a school in another state 2.5 hours away even gets any coverage in our paper, let alone tons more than the local D-I school. But that's another discussion, I suppose.

We have had one season above .500 in conference play so far in the Rickma era. We have a 1-4 record in the A-10 tournament. We have finished with RPI rankings of 137, 123, 87, and 174. Those are the facts. Let's stop making excuses for everything. We have been making excuses for decades with this program. You are what your record says you are. I expect better results from a HOF coach.

Look, I was happy when we hired Rickma and I am still glad he is our coach. Next year could be great. I am just tired of the excuse making and the always waiting for next year attitude.

You always couch this as "excuse making".

After playing last yr with freshmen and sophmores, coming into this high expectation yr we lost TWO goddam absolute stars due to outrageous, unforseen, unfair circumstances.

It is not an "excuse" like some little kid in grade school as you position it all the time.

RM's plan would have worked, this yr could have been monumental. We still have a shot if WR and everyone plays next yr.

AND, when Majerus leaves, we will be back to going nowhere.

I am tired of you always couching this as "excuse making".

After playing last yr with freshmen and sophmores, coming into this high expectation yr we lost TWO goddam absolute stars due to outrageous, unforseen circumastances.

It is not an "excuse" like some little kid in grade school as you position it all the time.

RM's plan would have worked, this yr could have been monumental.

When Majerus leaves, we will be back to going nowhere.

RM has had plenty of excuses. Here are a few off the top of my head:

1. I didn't choose them and they didn't choose me

2. Charter flights

3. Travel

4. Snowstorms

5. Youngest team in America

6. I need kids that don't want to leave the gym

7. I have to kiss his ass to take a shot

I am wrong, I do remember one instance where RM took responsibility for his actions. That was when he admitted to possibility of practicing too much during xmas break.

You always couch this as "excuse making".

After playing last yr with freshmen and sophmores, coming into this high expectation yr we lost TWO goddam absolute stars due to outrageous, unforseen, unfair circumstances.

RM's plan would have worked, this yr could have been monumental. We still have a shot if WR and everyone plays next yr.AND, when Majerus leaves, we will be back to going nowhere.

I see we are already testing out excuses for next year if everything doesn't go as plan.

I see we are already testing out excuses for next year if everything doesn't go as plan.

Do you really believe that it was no big deal for this team a few days before practice started to lose its heart and soul leader, point guard, leading scorer and most effective and most experienced player who had a chance to be all conference?

Do you really believe that it was no big deal for this team a few days before practice started to lose it best and most experienced and most athletic big man who was the best inside scorer, best rebounder and best shot blocker-- a player who might be the best center at SLU in over 30 years?

Those are the facts, they are not excuses. No team in the country could lose players of this quality and who happened to also be the most experienced players on the team at these two crucial positions. We ended up with a raw frosh at the point--McCall--with some help from Jett-- and a very young and green seldom used and extremely inexperienced soph big man -- Cory R-- to take their places. The frosh guards played well under the circumstances but the loss of Kwaimain was huge! Heck, the young guards played better after he came back to practice and was sitting on the bench even though he did not play a game. His leadership was obvious even from the sidelines.

On court leadership is a seriously underrated asset in my opinion and our leader at guard was gone and our leader in terms of excitement and getting the crowd pumped up with dunks and great shot blocks was gone.

In fact, I was surprised and proud as to how well this team played in a number of games in the second half of the season. Why in the hell are you so negative?

Do you really believe that it was no big deal for this team a few days before practice started to lose its heart and soul leader, point guard, leading scorer and most effective and most experienced player who had a chance to be all conference?

Do you really believe that it was no big deal for this team a few days before practice started to lose it best and most experienced and most athletic big man who was the best inside scorer, best rebounder and best shot blocker-- a player who might be the best center at SLU in over 30 years?

Those are the facts, they are not excuses. No team in the country could lose players of this quality and who happened to also be the most experienced players on the team at these two crucial positions. We ended up with a raw frosh at the point--McCall--with some help from Jett-- and a very young and green seldom used and extremely inexperienced soph big man -- Cory R-- to take their places. The frosh guards played well under the circumstances but the loss of Kwaimain was huge! Heck, the young guards played better after he came back to practice and was sitting on the bench even though he did not play a game. His leadership was obvious even from the sidelines.

On court leadership is a seriously underrated asset in my opinion and our leader at guard was gone and our leader in terms of excitement and getting the crowd pumped up with dunks and great shot blocks was gone.

In fact, I was surprised and proud as to how well this team played in a number of games in the second half of the season. Why in the hell are you so negative?

Great post.

I didn't expect the team to be a NCAA tournament team without both KM and WR. I did expect them to be better than 12-19. I do get really sick of all the whining excuses that seem to follow anything bad that happens. Like the "We don't have enough baskets to practice free thows on" line.

Also, if WR isn't playing next year I don't want to hear anybody using that as an excuse if we don't make the NCAAs next year. It will be year five and there is no reason the program shouldn't be in a position to survive a blow like that.

We will make the tourney next year whether we have Willie or not. Add in Willie and we are in for a special season. If we had a closer this past season we would have had a lot better record. Just having Kwamain back, along with our frosh being a year older, I think we can make the dance.

We will make the tourney next year whether we have Willie or not. Add in Willie and we are in for a special season. If we had a closer this past season we would have had a lot better record. Just having Kwamain back, along with our frosh being a year older, I think we can make the dance.

I agree completly with what you just posted.

You are absolutely correct, sir.

We have a few self important big shots that hate Majerus and say "no excuses".

We lost WR and KM, wind up with the 6th youngest team in D-1 (300+), play with 3, even 4 freshmen on the floor... but we should have gone to the NCAA's, beat Duke...

We have a few self important big shots that hate Majerus and say "no excuses".

And some non-big shots who don't hate RM and say it's year 5 and enough with the excuses.

We lost WR and KM, wind up with the 6th youngest team in D-1 (300+), play with 3, even 4 freshmen on the floor... but we should have gone to the NCAA's, beat Duke...

Yes, that is exactly what people are saying. I'm pretty sure you just quoted Brian exactly when you said "we should have gone to the NCAA's, beat Duke..."

MB, you just don't get it. You conveniently invent strawman arguments any time someone has a take that differs from yours.

If RM is as good as you (and I) think he is, he should have this team in or near the NCAA's (at least on the bubble) in his 5th year. With or without WR. Simple as that.

And some non-big shots who don't hate RM and say it's year 5 and enough with the excuses.

Yes, that is exactly what people are saying. I'm pretty sure you just quoted Brian exactly when you said "we should have gone to the NCAA's, beat Duke..."

MB, you just don't get it. You conveniently invent strawman arguments any time someone has a take that differs from yours.

If RM is as good as you (and I) think he is, he should have this team in or near the NCAA's (at least on the bubble) in his 5th year. With or without WR. Simple as that.

Your partner was talking about this yr and the previous ones, not next year. He says "stop making excuses". Then you and he switched to "next year". Big difference:

"We have had one season above .500 in conference play so far in the Rickma era. We have a 1-4 record in the A-10 tournament. We have finished with RPI rankings of 137, 123, 87, and 174. Those are the facts. Let's stop making excuses for everything. We have been making excuses for decades with this program. You are what your record says you are. I expect better results from a HOF coach."

Nice try.

Your, uh, partner was talking about this yr and the previous ones, not next year. Then it was switched to "next year". Big difference:

"We have had one season above .500 in conference play so far in the Rickma era. We have a 1-4 record in the A-10 tournament. We have finished with RPI rankings of 137, 123, 87, and 174. Those are the facts. Let's stop making excuses for everything. We have been making excuses for decades with this program. You are what your record says you are. I expect better results from a HOF coach."

Nice try.

Yeah that is what I said. I will stand behind it. The results are not what I would have expected so far from a HOF coach even when you take into account the incident. I don't think Rickma is above any criticism. That doesn't mean I hate the guy and think he should be fired.

Your, uh, partner was talking about this yr and the previous ones, not next year. Then it was switched to "next year". Big difference:

Nice try.

Brian can speak for himself, but you brought up the aspect about WR not being here next year to which Brian responded.

And RM has had plenty of excuses, a few of which came to my mind quickly and I posted. Of course, you didn't respond to that.

You consistently fail with your arguments.

Bottom line, I can see multiple aspects of RM. the good and the bad. You can't.

Brian can speak for himself, but you brought up the aspect about WR not being here next year to which Brian responded.

And RM has had plenty of excuses, a few of which came to my mind quickly and I posted. Of course, you didn't respond to that.

You consistently fail with your arguments.

Bottom line, I can see multiple aspects of RM. the good and the bad. You can't.

No coach is perfect...even the ones that cheat get caught eventually. I will take Majerus over most coaches, but that's just me.