Next Season Starters

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a lot of college sophomores who redshirt. Like any. I hope I'm wrong, this is a great class. I just don't see them all staying.

It would be illogical based on RM's history and our roster situation to assume they all would.

Really?! I hope that was the internet's inability to transmit sarcasm. Did you see him make that god awful pass without looking, at the end of the game versus CHICAGO STATE (!!!) and the lack of hustle he showed after that pass to stop the layup and then realized what an awful decision it was, then decided to try and run the lay up down and run into the digital board? My point is that he is mortal and makes mistakes (some of them very dumb). I know we love the guy, he's a local and a good player, but we have to be somewhat fair, and not put him on a pedestal above the other guys.

That was a mixed up play in a 40 point game. I thought Cassity thought it was an over and back and then didn't foresee the other Billiken not getting the ball. He wasted a lot of time and still almost caught up to the guy.

How many balls has McCall thrown away the last couple of games? I counted 3 the last game and 2 tonight. Everybody makes mistakes, Cassity makes fewer.

I'm not putting Cassity on a pedestal. I've criticized him many times and honestly as an offensive player I don't like his game. He will start next year though.

That was a mixed up play in a 40 point game. I thought Cassity thought it was an over and back and then didn't foresee the other Billiken not getting the ball. He wasted a lot of time and still almost caught up to the guy.

How many balls has McCall thrown away the last couple of games? I counted 3 the last game and 2 tonight. Everybody makes mistakes, Cassity makes fewer.

I'm not putting Cassity on a pedestal. I've criticized him many times and honestly as an offensive player I don't like his game. He will start next year though.

But to change your statement from Cassity (a Junior) doesn't make any dumb mistakes, to he makes fewer than McCall (a Freshman), is a little bit of a stretch. I would like to see Cassity finish this season on a good note because I agree with you he's a good player when performing at full capability. Other players are more dynamic and can allow their athleticism to overcome their inexperience.

In other words I'm not locking Cassity in for starting every game next year, although I agree he's a legit starter but once the other guards mature and gain experience he will be riding the pine, unless he quickly improves; and IMO I feel like he's close to hitting the ceiling of his ability (which I think we agree upon). As far as his improvement goes, I hope I'm wrong. He's a good kid and has represented the team and university very well through these tough times.

Not a lot of college sophomores who redshirt. Like any. I hope I'm wrong, this is a great class. I just don't see them all staying.

Torch, I don't get why you think someone's leaving. Unless it's a grade issue I can see these guys being relatively happy with their current situation. All the Frosh have got solid minutes this year, which is the one good thing to come out of this season, and no one seems to be unhappy. Yeah, a few can look at next year and say uh... oh... I'm not gonna play as much. That's where RM and PM have to step in and say, it's all up to you and how you develop, ie challenge them, and then say to them, "stay, because the biggest joy comes from winning and we should win big next year." Granted, RM's history says one or two will depart, but that may well change this year. No doubt with KM coming back, thank God, and JB being eligible creates a traffic jam at G for available minutes. But the competition should only make everyone better. As for the starting lineup(s), I don't think it makes a big whoop who gets to play the opening minutes and it will likely change from game to game given matchups. But since RM is kind of a throwback to his mentor Big Al, I'd expect to see the following start most of the games: KM, KC, DE, BC, WR. RM's going to reward his two seniors with starting roles just like Al used to do with those great Marquette teams. Really that's not a bad starting lineup. Also, RM will have the luxury of knowing he can interchange parts in a heartbeat to upgrade the talent on the floor, eg JB in for KC or DE in for BC. I would expect to see both KM and KC's minutes getting reduced. Last year KM averaged like 34-35 mpg. Next year it will be more like 27-30 leaving him refreshed in the closing minutes of big games. KC who averages 30+ this year, will be down in the 15- 20 range. MM, JJ, and JB (also at the 3 sometimes) are going to get the balance. DE's the nice problem player to have. Either a 3 or a 4 but he'll avg 20+ for sure. CE's the one who really has to show improvement over the summer to get his fair share. As for RL, I see him at the 4 cutting into WR's minutes. WR's never been a stamina guy, so he'll get his 20-25 a game and RL will pick up most of the slack. CR? A matchup sub. 8-10mpg at the most. CS? At this point anyone's guess. But there's a lot of apparent depth on this squad, which is good as injuries are a given. Hopefully, none of the really serious season ending variety. But right now it appears this is a team that will have or can have a 9 or 10 man rotation. And if anyone's not giving it his all on D or making stupid mistakes, that's a game in which he's going to see limited playing time. I just hope this all comes together, especially getting WR back, as we are hoping. RM's got 2 years left at SLU and they could be very special seasons indeed.

-i agree that i think someone will leave just from looking at history, but not going to speculate which player(s)

-i don't want that to happen, but history shows it is likely.....for whatever reason

I think what we could see is a few core player who will consistently get 25-28 minutes, but the playing time for the rest of the players will depend largely on match-ups from game to game. We could see situations where a player might get 30 minutes in a favorable match-up one game and then get 10 minutes the next game. Majerus will enjoy playing the role of mad scientist, mixing and matching lineups to get an advantage. A scenario like that should keep most players happy as long as we are winning. Hopefully we have a collection of guys who put winning above individual stats.

I think what we could see is a few core player who will consistently get 25-28 minutes, but the playing time for the rest of the players will depend largely on match-ups from game to game. We could see situations where a player might get 30 minutes in a favorable match-up one game and then get 10 minutes the next game. Majerus will enjoy playing the role of mad scientist, mixing and matching lineups to get an advantage. A scenario like that should keep most players happy as long as we are winning. Hopefully we have a collection of guys who put winning above individual stats.

+1

year before last I would have counted at least 8 in the rotation for the following year. Biggest reason to not chase anyone and hold the team together that actually had fun fighting last night is injuries. Even if not serious like

the CR and JJ injuries to their knees appear to be or more serious like PE, JF, and CE have had requiring surgery you want players who are vying for playing time and happy to watch the team mates scrap it out when they are

taking a turn on the bench.

I don't see anyone leaving but I don't get to look at their grade cards. We hope Willie is back on track if he ever was.

PG - Mitchell

SG - Cassity

SF - Evans

PF - Loe/Ellis

C - Reed

Evans is in the starting lineup next season. Save injury this kid will start every game for the rest of his Billiken career. There are a ton of ?s. Ellis basically has missed this year and now has to rehab his shoulder. He'll be even more behind for next season. My expectations for him are very low. Will Reed make it back? Who knows.

Barnett, Conklin, McCall, Jett, Remuken is an excellent bench. I don't expect all of them back. One of the freshman guards won't come back. If Ellis is still gimpy & not in shape, Reed doesn't come back it severely changes the team. We would still be good and be alright depthwise but not great.

So who will shoot from the outside with this lineup? KM not only runs the team as PG, brings the ball up the court but also becomes our only outside threat?

You don't think Cassity or Loe/Ellis are outside threats?

College Basketball is about matchups. It always has been at least on the D1 level. Majerus will start players based on matchups based on both opposing players and opposing defenses. (IE a lot of man to man or a lot of zone). A good example this year is BC. Some games he gets 2-4 points, some games he will get toward 20. It simply depends on who Majerus thinks will guard him. If a team has a weak 3 or 4 position, BC will start and probably score double figures. If a team is strong and deep on the inside, probably will not start and limited minutes.

food for thought.

As to KC, no. As to a healthy CE andor RL, yes but any team relying upon their 4 to break a zone or keep the D from collapsing in the lane is in trouble.

Disagree on KC. 33% from 3 this year is not bad and should go up with KM and WR drawing attention. Also, why does it matter that one of our outside threats happens to play the 4?

So who will shoot from the outside with this lineup? KM not only runs the team as PG, brings the ball up the court but also becomes our only outside threat?

From the lineup posted 2 posts ago: KM, KC (occasionally) and CE/RL

Would I call them threats? no. Able to hit the shots. Yes. IMO, KM is the only "threat" we have from the outside. KC/CE have proven they're inconsistent; JB - hasn't had a chance to prove himself yet on our team; MM,RL - still too young to tell.

Hopefully, the lineup is

KM

KC

DE

RL

WR

Agreed - and that leaves a very explosive bench with McCall, Jett, Barnett, Ellis, Conklin and Remekun

Honestly, if that's our bench next year, that group (with a year of improvement) would give this year's team a game. And that's our bench. We're going to be good!

Not worried as RM can and will put the right guys on the floor at the right times. Still, I believe our biggest weakness these past two years -- not just this year -- has been our poor outside shooting and I don't believe we can rely upon our PG and our bigs to hit from the outside. DE is really good and needs to play and start but he cannot hit the 3 so when DE is on the floor we will need someone who can.

From the lineup posted 2 posts ago: KM, KC (occasionally) and CE/RL

Would I call them threats? no. Able to hit the shots. Yes. IMO, KM is the only "threat" we have from the outside. KC/CE have proven they're inconsistent; JB - hasn't had a chance to prove himself yet on our team; MM,RL - still too young to tell.

It's not too early to tell about McCall. He can shoot.

Not worried as RM can and will put the right guys on the floor at the right times. Still, I believe our biggest weakness these past two years -- not just this year -- has been our poor outside shooting and I don't believe we can rely upon our PG and our bigs to hit from the outside. DE is really good and needs to play and start but he cannot hit the 3 so when DE is on the floor we will need someone who can.

I agree one of our biggest weaknesses is poor outside shooting, but IMO after looking at all of the close games we have lost (this year and years past) free throw shooting has got to be a HUGE concern. I'm not sure if it's a lack of time allocated at practice to shooting free throws or what... It just seems to me that a player at this level should be able to hit free throws blind folded

I want

PG - Mitchell

SG - Barnett

SF - Evans

PF - Loe

C - Reed

Lot of rebounding, lot of defense, lot of shooting, lot of smarts. I'd really be OK w/ running more and throwing guys in and out constantly. With Kwamain getting the most minutes of anyone. We'll finally have a full stable.

WE WILL WIN BIG NEXT YEAR. COUNT IT.