Billiken club Meeting

Cowboy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so did anyone go to the meeting?

Normally, people are quick to report on these meeting. It seems that a lot of people, even regulars, have lost enthusiasm for this season.

It will still make for a good road trip next season.

I think he tried with Marquette, UWM, and maybe others in Wisconsin along with DePaul, Northwestern, and Loyola-Chicago (not sure about UIC). Didn't work out with any of them. Chicago State wasn't exactly our first choice and is easily a full two hours south of Mitchell's house.

But hey, it's better to settle on your 7th or 8th choice than settle for nothing. That was my philosophy at Humphrey's and Laclede's 5-6 years ago.

RM couldn't get Marquette. Strange?

RM couldn't get Marquette. Strange?

why is that strange? RM has been trying to get Marquette on the schedule since the day he started with no dice.

Look back through time and Marquette's schedule basically consists of the home and home with Wisconsin, an exempt tourney and maybe a game in the SEC/Big East Invitational and the rest are buy game opponents. With an 18 game loaded Big East schedule they have shunned any additional home and homes during non-con basically since the day they joined the league. It is what it is and quite frankly I'd be shocked if they ever change their philosophy.

Normally, people are quick to report on these meeting. It seems that a lot of people, even regulars, have lost enthusiasm for this season.

I usually go but I couldn't make it this week. Hopefully a poster was there and will give a recap.

why is that strange? RM has been trying to get Marquette on the schedule since the day he started with no dice.

Look back through time and Marquette's schedule basically consists of the home and home with Wisconsin, an exempt tourney and maybe a game in the SEC/Big East Invitational and the rest are buy game opponents. With an 18 game loaded Big East schedule they have shunned any additional home and homes during non-con basically since the day they joined the league. It is what it is and quite frankly I'd be shocked if they ever change their philosophy.

I recall when SLU & MU went separate ways MU indicated they would not play SLU again.

Kshoe that's why I put a ? mark behind strange. I wan't knocking RM. I just figured w/ RM's past at MU maybe he'd have a little more clout. Guess it doesn't matter to mighty MU if they diss a famous alum. Or maybe he cut off his donations? :rolleyes:

Speaking of schedules. Living here in Charleston I pay some attention to the CofC Cougars. Not really a fan but hope they do well. The Cougs always seem to come up with a decent schedule against the majors. They typically get 2 home and homes w BCS'ers every year. For example over the last 4 years it's been UNC, TN, Clemson, SC, etc. And trust me, Clemson and SC don't like playing them anymore than Mizzery wants to play us. My point is we should be able to get at least two games every year w/ BCS'er that are on a home and home basis. I'd still like to see us schedule a few more big name mid majors than we have. Like a George Mason, CofC(selfish reasons), St. Mary's, ODU et al. Overall I don't think our sched was bad this year. The Cancun thing helped somewhat. We did get Portland and MSU, 2 solid MM's. BGSU is not a solid MM but decent. Hell they beat us. The major deficiency was we were lacking another BCS that gave us a home and home. We had GA fulfilling their H&H with us, and then Duke who won't reciprocate. Guess the point is a non con sched (12 games) of 2 BCS'ers on an H&H, 4 solid mid majors on a H&H, and 6 buys would be an entertaining venue. Of course next year playing in that 76 thing should give us a good SOS, but looking beyond that I don't understand what factors are at play in not being able to annually line up the 2 bcs and the 4 solid mids.

Speaking of schedules. Living here in Charleston I pay some attention to the CofC Cougars. Not really a fan but hope they do well. The Cougs always seem to come up with a decent schedule against the majors. They typically get 2 home and homes w BCS'ers every year. For example over the last 4 years it's been UNC, TN, Clemson, SC, etc. And trust me, Clemson and SC don't like playing them anymore than Mizzery wants to play us. My point is we should be able to get at least two games every year w/ BCS'er that are on a home and home basis. I'd still like to see us schedule a few more big name mid majors than we have. Like a George Mason, CofC(selfish reasons), St. Mary's, ODU et al. Overall I don't think our sched was bad this year. The Cancun thing helped somewhat. We did get Portland and MSU, 2 solid MM's. BGSU is not a solid MM but decent. Hell they beat us. The major deficiency was we were lacking another BCS that gave us a home and home. We had GA fulfilling their H&H with us, and then Duke who won't reciprocate. Guess the point is a non con sched (12 games) of 2 BCS'ers on an H&H, 4 solid mid majors on a H&H, and 6 buys would be an entertaining venue. Of course next year playing in that 76 thing should give us a good SOS, but looking beyond that I don't understand what factors are at play in not being able to annually line up the 2 bcs and the 4 solid mids.

Bob Cremins has a LOT to do with that.

Kshoe that's why I put a ? mark behind strange. I wan't knocking RM. I just figured w/ RM's past at MU maybe he'd have a little more clout. Guess it doesn't matter to mighty MU if they diss a famous alum. Or maybe he cut off his donations? :rolleyes:

The reality is, as a 150ish RPI team, a top 25 team is not going to want to come into Chaifetz and take the chance of a beating which would result in a major RPI hit.

In the old days we maybe could attract a Illinois or MO with playing in the Dome before 40,000. Or a Gonzaga, UCLA, AZ, in the Scott Trade with the promise of a hugh gate. We got UNC and KU because they had a local player.

We just have to win and get that RPI below 40 and things should change. Also we need to get into quality exempt tourneys, which we seem to be doing with Cancun this year and Anaheim next year. Also try to schedule low level BCS schools like a Georgia, Nebraska, Boston College, etc..

Marquette currently plays UWM, and the terms of that series? Four Marquette home games to one for UWM. Wisconsin also plays UWM. Terms? Seven Wisconsin home games to two for UWM.

By the way, UWM's coach was a player for Bo Ryan, former long time assistant, as well as former assistant at Marquette.

Marquette is playing Green Bay as well. Wardle was an ex player and ex assistant coach.

Marquette pays 18 league games, a good tourney every year, and then needs buy games for money, some better (Bucknell) than others, a mix. It's home and home is with Vanderbilt, a top 15-20 caliber team from a BCS league with excellent RPI.(At Vandy this year and at Marquette next year) as well of course as annual home and home with Wisconsin.

Current strength of schedule for Marquette is 27.

A good strategy for SLU would be to keep trying to schedule the better top of league non-BCS schools...as well as some of the bottom part of the league BCS league schools. ...because those schools will get wins and upsets that will help.

currently marquette has a 67 rpi and dropping. probably nit bound. the big east already has 10 teams with higher rpi's. personally i would rather the billikens play someone else from the big east with a better rpi.

currently marquette has a 67 rpi and dropping. probably nit bound. the big east already has 10 teams with higher rpi's. personally i would rather the billikens play someone else from the big east with a better rpi.

Lunardi currently has Marquette I believe as an 8 seed in NCAA. Other pundits have them similar. Last year with a 50's RPI Marquette was a 6 seeded NCAA team. Their biggest loss was I believe 8 points this season. Pomeroy has them at 26.

Unless Marquette stumbles where it shouldn't down the stretch,(always possible) they'll dance.

They've had a lot of nail biting losses to elite teams this year.

It's also a soft bubble this year.

Lunardi currently has Marquette I believe as an 8 seed in NCAA. Other pundits have them similar. Last year with a 50's RPI Marquette was a 6 seeded NCAA team. Their biggest loss was I believe 8 points this season. Pomeroy has them at 26.

Unless Marquette stumbles where it shouldn't down the stretch,(always possible) they'll dance.

They've had a lot of nail biting losses to elite teams this year.

It's also a soft bubble this year.

Such is the benefit of playing in a power conference. Recruiting is easier, t.v. is plenty, plenty of games against top notch teams to excite the fan base, and of course, if the RPI sucks you get to just ignore it when it comes to selection Sunday...

Its enough to make one puke...

Such is the benefit of playing in a power conference. Recruiting is easier, t.v. is plenty, plenty of games against top notch teams to excite the fan base, and of course, if the RPI sucks you get to just ignore it when it comes to selection Sunday...

And then there's DePaul...

Posted Image

Marquette's play down the stretch will decide their fate. They have four more top 35 RPI games, as well as some other likely win games to increase their win total. Pomeroy has them at 26, Sagarin 29. Their RPI at one time was 150 ish. It came down and down as one would expect over the season. If one or two of those tight games go another away, their RPI would be significantly better. Even so, they still have plenty of time to lower it, and to leap frog a log jam of league teams. RPI itself is not a be all end all.

And if RPI ever became a concern, a decision would be made to swap out a couple of lesser buy games for a little bit better ones to play the RPI game. It hasn't been necessary thus far. And, in turn profits in buy games can be larger.

I was there. Not a lot to report. May said we still hope to host a first round game. Tickets will be mailed and activated if needed. Tourney may move. Pitt a posibility. Rammer did his usual good job. Said he was going to kick the ricans asses if they don'tt stop yelling at him when he walks by. Jensen said an aussie trip is still talked about. Coaches like our effort. Evans is a funny guy,team joker. Substitutions are planned and made by all the coaches. He likes all the kids,no bad apples. Mitchel being back helps everybody.

I was there. Not a lot to report. May said we still hope to host a first round game. Tickets will be mailed and activated if needed. Tourney may move. Pitt a posibility. Rammer did his usual good job. Said he was going to kick the ricans asses if they don'tt stop yelling at him when he walks by. Jensen said an aussie trip is still talked about. Coaches like our effort. Evans is a funny guy,team joker. Substitutions are planned and made by all the coaches. He likes all the kids,no bad apples. Mitchel being back helps everybody.