Dear Rick, Porter, etc

TRN

KM wouldn't be leaving "early", he'd be leaving on time. That's a big difference, IMO. Do you think KM has anything to gain financially by redshirting this season (beyond maybe getting a diploma)? I'm just trying to understand your position here.

He'd be leaving before getting a degree. I don't see a difference between a junior that leaves a year before getting his degree and a redshifted junior that also leaves a year before getting his degree.

I do think the option kwamain has on the 5th year has value. If he has a great season next year and wants to leave early he can do so. If he has a bad year or gets hurt he has the option to stay in school to improve his prospects in Europe. Either way it gives him the freedom to do whatever he wants and by definition that is something of value...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think the option kwamain has on the 5th year has value. If he has a great season next year and wants to leave early he can do so. If he has a bad year or gets hurt he has the option to stay in school to improve his prospects in Europe. Either way it gives him the freedom to do whatever he wants and by definition that is something of value...

Well said. Completely agree.

He'd be leaving before getting a degree. I don't see a difference between a junior that leaves a year before getting his degree and a redshifted junior that also leaves a year before getting his degree.

How much better will KM playing in 10-12 games make him? Seriously, aren't we putting too much value on playing a few games? Maybe by practicing and being a mentor and a coach on the bench he'll learn some things he couldn't learn about himself and the game if he was playing.

The slight upside of playing this year, doesn't even come close to the upside of potentially having another full year.

(Alumni Fan... you are a good poster... but "there are some things in life more important than money". That's rich. You just want a full 2 yrs out of the guy in your own self interest. As a fan, I hope he redshirts, too. I am merely trying to explain that the smart move for him is to play now... AND I also think SLU orchestrated this "process" so that the so called one semester suspension essentially is a one yr suspension)

Not sure how old you are (thought you were older than me because the "73" was your date of graduation), but one thing I have learned with age is that making a lot of money cannot replace many life experiences - once they are over, they are over. You don't know me very well, but those who do would tell you that my opinion on this has nothing to do with my "self interest". I simply think that Kwamain only gets one chance for his college experience. To Kshoe's point, if he was a first round lottery pick, then I MIGHT agree with playing this year, but for the relatively small amount of money he can make overseas, it just does not make sense.

From what I have seen this past year, SLU is not clever enough to have orchestrate a one car parade let alone what you are suggesting.

If I am KM ... I tell them, I will stay here and play next year, but I want to play immediately.

In his best interest it would be to play now, go to school next year, graduate and then go to Europe and help his family by making 65-95k.

In Billiken fan, AD, Coaching Staff, Donors, etc it is their best interest he stays for 2 years.

I hope KM gets to do what HE wants, especially after him and Willie were treated like $HIT! If he wants to stay two years great, but if he doesn't then ###### the administration and anyone else.

If I am KM ... I tell them, I will stay here and play next year, but I want to play immediately.

In his best interest it would be to play now, go to school next year, graduate and then go to Europe and help his family by making 65-95k.

In Billiken fan, AD, Coaching Staff, Donors, etc it is their best interest he stays for 2 years.

I hope KM gets to do what HE wants, especially after him and Willie were treated like $HIT! If he wants to stay two years great, but if he doesn't then ###### the administration and anyone else.

+100

Not sure how old you are (thought you were older than me because the "73" was your date of graduation), but one thing I have learned with age is that making a lot of money cannot replace many life experiences - once they are over, they are over. You don't know me very well, but those who do would tell you that my opinion on this has nothing to do with my "self interest". I simply think that Kwamain only gets one chance for his college experience. To Kshoe's point, if he was a first round lottery pick, then I MIGHT agree with playing this year, but for the relatively small amount of money he can make overseas, it just does not make sense.

From what I have seen this past year, SLU is not clever enough to have orchestrate a one car parade let alone what you are suggesting.

Amen brother - College is long in my rearview year, but I'd love to have another year - he'll be working for the rest of his life, but won't be able to enjoy another year of college again after he leaves

Of course. Most all of us agree with what you are saying about life experiences. But most kids take the money and run:

1) If KM can graduate and make some money starting after 2012 graduation rather than wait until 2013, it is his best option. I do not know if he can get all the hours by then, and I do not know his financial situtation. But I would guess he could use the money. I do not know how much money he really would make in Europe, that is hard to know.

2) Do you think he wants to hang out around SLU an extra year after what happened?

And I think that SLU is very capable of orchestrating this; sure, they made it a "one semester suspension", but put in place a process that in effect it is looking like KM will miss at least 2/3 of the season, or more, frustrating him to wait 'till fall. Do you think KM would have announced by now that he is redshirting if he intends to? Why are we waiting for the NCAA ruling otherwise?

(Word is, even if the NCAA resinstates KM, the last stipulation is that he will "have to take the pebble from Father Biond's hand. Then, it will time for him to play".)

Of course. Most all of us agree with what you are saying about life experiences. BUt most kids take the money and run:

1) If KM can graduate and make some money starting after 2012 graduation rather than wait until 2013, it is his best option. I do not know if he can get all the hours by then, and I do not know his financial siutation

2) Do you think he wants to hang out around SLU an extra year after what happened?

1. Why not have an option to come back for the 2012-2013 season? Is playing this season really going to improve his prospects for the Spring of 2012? He can practice, work out, etc. Not sure 10 or games is going to help that much.

2. He came back to the school. He apparently likes to be at SLU, at least a little.

1. Why not have an option to come back for the 2012-2013 season? Is playing this season really going to improve his prospects for the Spring of 2012? He can practice, work out, etc. Not sure 10 or games is going to help that much.

2. He came back to the school. He apparently likes to be at SLU, at least a little.

1. Comimg back this season would not be about improving his prospects for 2012. I do not think he will be a whole lot better player in 2013 than 2012. It is better for him to get an extra year of income, get into the pros a year younger.

2. He probably likes SLU at least "a little"... but a whole extra year? With all of the scrutiny, etc on campus? A whole year? Instead of making $$$$?

Again, this all assumes that he can squeeze in the hours this semeseter and this summer and next yr to get his degree... I am not certain that is possible, though no one really seems to know otherwise.

1. Comimg back this season would not be about improving his prospects for 2012. I do not think he will be a whole lot better player in 2013 than 2012. It is better for him to get an extra year of income, get into the pros a year younger.

2. He probably likes SLU at least "a little"... but a whole extra year? With all of the scrutiny, etc on campus? A whole year? Instead of making $$$$?

Again, this all assumes that he can squeeze in the hours this semeseter and this summer and next yr to get his degree... I am not certain that is possible, though no one really seems to know otherwise.

Personally I like to see him red shirt this semester but you maybe right. No one knows KM personal situation. Didn't Rick mention that his mom has cancer? I can see that being strong motivation getting to the next level as quickly as possible.

Again, I hope he red shirts, if the team does make the post season for the next 2 years (a lot that depends on Willie's return) his stock will go way up.

If coming back this season won't improve his prospects for 2012, then why do it as a reason to be prepared to earn money in 2012? If he redshirts, he can leave in 2012 if he wants, but also has an option for 2013. That option would look really good if, god forbid, he gets injured next year and misses a substantial amount of playing time.

If coming back this season won't improve his prospects for 2012, then why do it as a reason to be prepared to earn money in 2012? If he redshirts, he can leave in 2012 if he wants, but also has an option for 2013. That option would look really good if, god forbid, he gets injured next year and misses a substantial amount of playing time.

Your injury point is ???, if he stays and plays 2012-2013 he can get injured, and that would hurt his pro chances, reduce his pro career lifespan even more.

The key is IF he can graduate in 2012.

There are diminishing returns every day that this is delayed, but if he can graduate next spring, he can get back into competition NOW rather than sit a full year, and for the final time I will say, make money on the sport he plays one yr earlier and therefore one year longer professionally.

What I hope for, as a longtime fan, is that KM, WR, and Majerus all are with us the next two full seasons ('til spring 2013) so we can behold what becomes of the promising talent that has been assembled.

Again, if he was going to redshirt, why has he not announced it? Why are we waiting for the NCAA? It's almost St. Patrick's Day.

I think he'd be better off getting a degree as well, but many kids his age see dollar signs and can't resist the temptation. Besides, going to play professionally doesn't mean that he'd never get a degree. That part is up to him.

I have no idea what the contracts in Europe are worth, and if he has anything to gain financially by playing an extra year here. I guess it could mean the difference between Italy and Bulgaria.

I appreciate the fact that KM is hungry and wants to get out there. I just hope he uses his head and makes the decision that is better for him. He's the only one who can make that decision.

while for selfish fandom reasons, i would love to have mitchell for two FULL seasons, i tend to side with mb on the topic. mitchell appears is europeball worthy and that would indeed mean a six digit salary plus expenses. not many first year grads at slu will have that salary coming out INCLUDING grad students.

none of us know mitchell's financial needs. maybe he wants to provide something better asap for his family. maybe they need those funds. maybe mitchell, who undoubtedly loves basketball and his teamates, doesnt really enjoy classrooms and campus life and just wants to move on to his next life phase.

we know majerus has advised him of his options. and god knows he has had enough time over the last few months to make a thoughtful decision and kwamain should do what's best and makes kwamain happy.

Your injury point is ???, if he stays and plays 2012-2013 he can get injured, and that would hurt his pro chances, reduce his pro career lifespan even more.

There are diminishing returns every day that this is delayed, but if he can graduate next spring, he can get back into competition NOW rather than sit a full year, and for the final time I will say, make money on the sport he plays one yr earlier and therefore one year longer professionally.

What I hope for, as a longtime fan, is that KM, WR, and Majerus all are with us the next two full seasons ('til spring 2013) so we can behold what becomes of the promising talent that has been assembled.

Again, if he was going to redshirt, why has he not announced it? Why are we waiting for the NCAA? It's almost St. Patrick's Day.

Your reasoning doesn't make much sense to me. You agreed that playing this year isn't about his 2012 (pro) prospects. Then, as far as going pro in 2012 is concerned why come back and play this year at all? It seems the wiser decision for KM personally is to redshirt and basically have a free option for the 2012-2013 season. If the market is right, then jump to a pro league. If the market isn't right, come back to SLU for another year. The point is, he'll have a choice between 2 good alternatives at the end of the 2012 season.

My point with the injury is that if he doesn't have the "option" year, he could hurt his prospects for 2012 with no option to improve those prospects. Heck, maybe his player stock isn't worth as much as he thought at the end of the 2011-2012 season. Then, with no option to go back to school, he could be forced into a less than optimal situation (i.e. playing in Turkey for $55k).

If we agree that playing this season really doesn't help his long-term ambition, then it doesn't make much sense for him to come back this year. Especially, since he still gets to practice, work out, etc.

Once again, all of this assumes he can graduate next spring, which by all of big Rick's accounts and typical student progress, does not appear likely.

If he decided to play, it would be a decision based primarily on emotion, which is fine, but don't expect anybody to agree that it would be in his best long-term financial interest or would be the rational thing to do.

Your reasoning doesn't make much sense to me. You agreed that playing this year isn't about his 2012 (pro) prospects. Then, as far as going pro in 2012 is concerned why come back and play this year at all? It seems the wiser decision for KM personally is to redshirt and basically have a free option for the 2012-2013 season. If the market is right, then jump to a pro league. If the market isn't right, come back to SLU for another year. The point is, he'll have a choice between 2 good alternatives at the end of the 2012 season.

My point with the injury is that if he doesn't have the "option" year, he could hurt his prospects for 2012 with no option to improve those prospects. Heck, maybe his player stock isn't worth as much as he thought at the end of the 2011-2012 season. Then, with no option to go back to school, he could be forced into a less than optimal situation (i.e. playing in Turkey for $55k).

If we agree that playing this season really doesn't help his long-term ambition, then it doesn't make much sense for him to come back this year. Especially, since he still gets to practice, work out, etc.

You make a very solid point here.

Isn't it best to have all options available? Nothing would stop KM from leaving after next season if he thought he could go pro. Redshirting this season leaves him with the option of coming back one more season if he so desires. At this point, he has missed over half the season and would only be able to play in a handful of games once the NCAA clears him. Might as well just wait it out and come back ready to play next season.

THE issue is whether or not he can graduate by spring 2012.

If so, he should play now and all of next season and go pro in 2012.

The "option" of redshirting if he could have squeazed in enough hours to graduate... but not do so... then looking at "the market" spring of 2012, then signs without a degree? Not optimal.

(Again, aren't you wondering why we are waiting for NCAA decision? doesn't that tell you KM is interested in playing? If not, why wouldn't we all have heard by now that he is redshirting. Do you think it is possible that KM wants to play and is getting finessed?)

THE issue whether or not he can graduate by spring 2012.

The "option" of redshirting if he could have squeazed in enough hours to graduate... but not do so... then looking at "the market" spring of 2012, then signs without a degree? Not optimal.

(Again, aren't you wondering why we are waiting for NCAA decision? doesn't that tell you KM is interested in playing? If not, why wouldn't we all have heard by now that he is redshirting. Do you think it is possible that KM wants to play and is getting finessed?)

I bet he redshirts...

THE issue whether or not he can graduate by spring 2012.

MB. Seriously, how many college students who have completed 2 years of college can tell you that they can definitely graduate in 4 years? Most students don't really start to pick their major and read the requirements until after their fifth semester. Even so, most students change their majors, don't realize some 300 or 400 level class is taught every other semester or that 1 class is required to be taken prior some other one. All of these things cause, even the good student, to not graduate on time. Then, when you add in the fact that the student plays a sport (like basketball which requires considerable time/effort during BOTH semesters as opposed to just the Fall semester like football) and it becomes even more difficult to graduate on time. If I played football, I'd take 12 hours in the Fall and 18 in the Spring. Then you add in the fact that the student completely misses an entire semester ... and I'd suggest that it is very doubtful that this student will graduate "on-time" -- in the Spring of 2012. Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? I'd say no. With KM, I admit I have no inside information.

And yes, I do think KM wants to play THIS semester. Had he been allowed to play when SLU re-admitted him, then I do think he would have done the same thing that CE did. I would support such an idea especially since KM probably feels (and should feel) some loyalty to his teammates whose collegiate year of sports has also been "ruined" as well. They are the forgotten victims here. Think about it. You have only 4 years to play college, you work so hard to get here, some even travel from other countries and then they have a year like this year...

Anyway, the longer the NCAA clearance goes, though, the more I question the wisdom of playing this year. 4 league games and counting have been missed. B/c too much has been missed, I now have changed my mind and think that KM should redshirt.

Curious. You mention getting "finessed" -- by whom? NCAA or SLU??

I have also changed my tune on this. IF Willie had been admitted back and ready to play immediately and IF KM has been cleared to play in late December or early Jan. and IF our record was at least near .500, then I would have been in favor of KM playing this year. But the way things have played out, I hope he takes the redshirt year.

I have also changed my tune on this. IF Willie had been admitted back and ready to play immediately and IF KM has been cleared to play in late December or early Jan. and IF our record was at least near .500, then I would have been in favor of KM playing this year. But the way things have played out, I hope he takes the redshirt year.

Actually, I think this is where a lot of us are at. Seriously, who didn't want to see the glorious return of Willie and Kwamain against Dayton on Jan. 4th? We all would have been hyped up and emotions would have run high. However, reality is now facing us. The season is basically a lost cause, at least in terms of a winning record. Willie is being forced by the school to take academics seriously and wait until next season to play. The NCAA has yet to clear KM to play and it doesn't look like that decision is going to be handed down by the Fordham game.

Thus, why not just use the rest of the season to give the freshmen some much needed experience. Let KM help them in practice and cheer them from the bench. Let him get back into the flow of school and come back hungry and ready to play next season. However, if he gets cleared and decides he wants to play the remaining games of this schedule, while I will personally feel that it isn't in his best interests, I will still support him like crazy while he is on the court and it would actually provide a bit iof a bright spot for us fans in attendence.