Willie Reed

SLUDrew

A friend of mine relayed a story that she was at the Harris Stowe game over the weekend with her son who plays high school ball. Willie Reed happened to be sitting next to them. She said he is a very nice young man and that he talked at length to her son about basketball. Evidently he is very worried everyone will look at him differently now and that he will be booed by SLU fans.

I for one will give him a standing ovation much to the chagrin of the moral police on this board and in the arena

A friend of mine relayed a story that she was at the Harris Stowe game over the weekend with her son who plays high school ball. Willie Reed happened to be sitting next to them. She said he is a very nice young man and that he talked at length to her son about basketball. Evidently he is very worried everyone will look at him differently now and that he will be booed by SLU fans.

I for one will give him a standing ovation much to the chagrin of the moral police on this board and in the arena

I'll be giving him a standing O as well...I think those out to 'boo' him would be the extreme minority.

However, Willie needs to take care of business inside the classroom. I'm scared he will not make it academically at SLU. Too many cheating issues occured in the past and I doubt with him on probation the school will keep him around. Lets hope this experience will help him to focus in the classroom.

While there is no doubt WR and KM have made some mistakes in their past, the fact that both of them have gone through everything they did to return to SLU shows a lot to me. The easy path would have been to say good riddance to SLU. They will get a standing O from me, for sure.

While there is no doubt WR and KM have made some mistakes in their past, the fact that both of them have gone through everything they did to return to SLU shows a lot to me. The easy path would have been to say good riddance to SLU. They will get a standing O from me, for sure.

I agree 100% I will be in the front row cheering them on and welcoming them back!

+1. I think if anyone boos, they are going to be in the minority.

What are the chances of him really playing next year? Everyone seems to have accepted "the WR decision".

I do not.

I have a HUGE problem that he does not get to practice with the team... really throws him off his game, his conditioning, his self esteem, etc.

AND after the way things have gone, now I suspect delay tactics, KM now waiting for NCAA approval... that should have been on NCAA's desk a lot earlier than when it got there. Etc.

I do not have > 50% confidence that WR will get to play next yr.

I would have told him there's one way for him and KM to make people forget about this situation, and that's win a lot of games. If we make the NCAAs/win the conference next year or the year after, this situation will barely be remembered. If we don't, we'll be talking about "what could have been" for a long time.

What are the chances of him really playing next year? Everyone seems to have accepted "the WR decision".

I do not.

I have a HUGE problem that he does not get to practice with the team... really throws him off his game, his conditioning, his self esteem, etc.

AND after the way things have gone, now I suspect delay tactics, KM now waiting for NCAA approval... that should have been on NCAA's desk a lot earlier than when it got there. Etc.

If WR doesnt play next year there is only one person to blame and that is WR.

"Let he who is without sin throw the first rock.

And I shall smoketh it."

Good story about Willie, SLUDrew. Always good hearing stuff like that that reinforces what many of us think of Willie: Genuinely nice kid, caught in a wrong situation that night. Hope he cleans up his act in the classroom and takes advantage of academic resources put in place by athletics to be sound off the court, also.

+1. I think if anyone boos, they are going to be in the minority.

Fully agree. The boys probably deserved a multiple game suspension. Any competent school would have suspended suspended them from various things over the summer, made them do the community service, etc., and then suspended them anywhere for the first 5 games or so. I don't have all the details so I cannot say for sure but the boys should have had a final decision by the middle of June, 2010 (certainly before the start of '10-'11 school year) and should NOT have been expelled from school. Suspended from the basketball team and not allowed to practice/play, etc. up to a maximum of the summer and the Fall semester. Assuming the whole semester instead of 5 games or so, the boys could have, and should have, returned (w/o NCAA clearance/approval) in late December after the conclusion. Again, if the boys violated criminal laws, then expel them. Short of that, suspend them from athtletics but not from school and especially not from School in late October. Instead of an internal situation, SLU turned this into an NCAA situation and has now made this tougher on the boys, the team and the school when they do return and play on the road.

I will stand and give them a warm welcome. For WR, his welcome will be for both enduring the BS as well as for getting his grades in order.

Excellent story and perhaps this incident will be for Willie Reed what will help him mature as a man. I don't believe this whole world is a dark place and if Willie can find his light and let it shine, lets all bask in its warmth. We all make mistakes - it's how we pick ourselves up and improve and learn from those mistakes. We're all pulling for you, Wille Reed.

I do not.

-was it ernest and julio gallo that would sell no wine before it's time?

-SLU kicked the kid out of school, how could SLU petition the ncaa for clearance before SLU allowed the kid back in school?

-or is there some other delay you are referencing?

I do not.

MB, how would it have gotten on the NCAA's desk earlier? The NCAA is not going to accept any paperwork from a kid who is not officially enrolled in a school. SLU cannot submit paperwork on a just in case siutation. From what I have heard and some on here even talked about it when it happened - KM's process moved pretty quick and once he was allowed back in the matter was immediately sent to the NCAA.

In regards to WR, I can't wait for him to get back and you need to be more optimistic that he will be. Willie has been through a lot and a lot of that has been brought on by him. He is getting a second chance (and not just from the incident) and it will be up to him like Westy says.

WR seems to be a good kid who just made some mistakes and hopefully will come away from those mistakes a better person.

I don't think he will have to worry about hearing anything at home games. Those voices will not be heard over the majority of the fans cheering. On the road against conference opponents that may be a different story.

He'll get a standing O from me as well. Although they are much more popular athletes, Tiger and Big Ben both received huge ovations when they first came back.

Not only is WR one of the best players on the team, he is also one of the most exciting players to watch in a long time. I can't wait to have a Bill back who can consistently block shots and dunk on opponents.

He'll get a standing O from me as well. Although they are much more popular athletes, Tiger and Big Ben both received huge ovations when they first came back.

Not only is WR one of the best players on the team, he is also one of the most exciting players to watch in a long time. I can't wait to have a Bill back who can consistently block shots and dunk on opponents.

It's too bad about him not being able to practice w/ the team this year, but really WR's in the best position he could be as far as his being a student as SLU's concerned. Someone mentioned "cheating" as maybe being one of the issues. Serious business that. If SLU gave him a second chance in that regard, take advantage of it, WR. You caught a big break. Hit the books. You'll be surprised learning ain't all that painful. You'll be better off in the long run for doing it the right way. If he'd gone to a KSU or somewhere else, he'd likely have drifted back into the same mode with a school that wouldn't have cared about his academics or his future beyond what he could do for them on the court.

The very fact that you are on this board means about a 99.9% chance you will cheer WR on his return. I would. Same with KM, although he might even face tougher scrutiny. Not by me.

Having said that, I have serious reservations as to whether o rnot we will see WR in Billiken Blue again. I hope I am proven wrong but only time will tell.

Anyone and everyone booing King Willie in his own palace will be granted a knuckle sandwich courtesy of yours truly.